Cellular signal along the Alaskan panhandle?

Hi I'm traveling on Vision of the Seas from Seward to Juneau to Skagway to Icy Straight to Ketchikan to Vancouver at the end of July.

I figuring I'll have cell signal in Anchorage and Vancouver, but where else might I expect to have it? Probably no where, right?

I know we get service in both Anchorage and Seward when we go on RV trips.... There are some spots between where we can get service and some where we can't.

I would guess you'd probably be able to get a signal in Anchorage, Seward, Juneau and Ketchikan, but probably not in most places between the ports.

got my uncle right beside me who was just on the NCL Star for the past week, he only called me from Juneau (i'm housesitting) bc there was no signal anywhere else but Victoria at the end, and it was not a signal for his carrier, Sprint. He was in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, and Victoria, B.C.

Your cell provider should provide you with a coverage map or call them. It may also depend on your phone..... dual, tri or quad band(?). I remember last year on our inside passage cruise, cell phones were being used at or near the ports.

We have Verizon and had service in Juneau and Ketchikan. (It was great to check in with the family and office). Our service in Vancouver was roaming as we only have entended service in the US.

Best bet is to check with your provider.

Marci

We had cvoerage in several cities. We have Verizon and we had one crazy thing. Unlike anywhere in the lower 48, we had to dail a "1" before the area code otherwise we got a recording to the effect we had no service. No raoming if we connected with a Alaska tower. Remember if you connect with a Canadian tower from the inside passage you might get roaming charges.

i did the inside passage in 2003 with an AT&T cell phone and had service when we were coming into ports and out of the ports. i was not roaming in vancouver! now i have switched over to verizon and sure hope i have the same coverage!!!! since i will have to be working during some of my upcoming cruise i am really really hoping that i have cell service!

hope to sea ya all soon, judy

Hi I'm traveling on Vision of the Seas from Seward to Juneau to Skagway to Icy Straight to Ketchikan to Vancouver at the end of July.

I figuring I'll have cell signal in Anchorage and Vancouver, but where else might I expect to have it? Probably no where, right?

We just cruised the inside passage from Vancouver to Seward 27 May - 3 June. We had stronger signals and clearer connections (Cingular Wireless) in more ports than we have in St. Louis, MO!!!! I think only in Icy Strait Point we didn't get a signal but that's out in the real wilderness! We had a ball! This was the best cruise yet out of 6 Royal Caribbean Cruises!! They keep improving their service. We didn't even have to get our luggage departing the ship. They took in to the Visitor's Center in Anchorage until we took their bus to the airport as well as checked on our carry on bags there once we arrived. The scenery from Seward to Anchorage is beautiful and the cruise was wonderful! I realize you are going southbound, so I hope I helped you on your original question. I get carried away sometimes! Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

go over to the Alaska posting/threads on this website. I didn't really check into it, but there is a thread directly related to phone reception and BILLING for cingular users. I encourage you to look. I recall it saying about a cingular customer who was upset about the charges incurred on their inside passage cruise in Alaska. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived