Tell us your butler stories!

cruisinsuz

I am reading this thread and I don't get the whole butler thing.

I am pretty self sufficient and don't need people catering to my every need or doing things for me and I grew up in an environment like that. Having a stranger go through my clotes is just not what I want. I can make my own reservations and get my own food and probably do it better.

We never used any of the services you mention and are also ultra self sufficient BUT we love having butler service and, for example, is why we do not consider Royal Caribbean when we book a cruise. A great butler cannot make an otherwise unsatisfactory cruise acceptable [or we would be cruising with NCL] but can make a good cruise fantanstic.

I loved reading all of these stories. I might book a low-end suite at some point, but I'm not sure how much I'd appreciate having a butler.

I certainly wouldn't want an unpacking service if I have to be present. That would be so uncomfortable to me and, as someone else said, I could probably do it quicker and better myself.

Those saying their butler made spa or dining reservations: how did this work exactly? Why call your butler to make a spa reservation when you can just call the spa directly? Ditto for dining reservations?

I think I'd be the lowest maintenance suite guest in the history of cruising!

I personally think people get hung up with the word butler, which is silly considering its their job title. I wonder if the job title changed to "personal concierge" if the judging would stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In my personal experience the butler we had in a Sky Suite (only time we had a butler) was the worst trained crew member I've ever had on any cruise (other than one on NCL where none of them were properly trained).

I am independent and would rather do things for myself.

The only thing I asked for was one cup of espresso in the morning and it took four tries to get that right. The espresso always arrived cold, even though it was in a thermal cardboard cup.

The one time we requested some fruit and cheese trays and wine glasses for a party, the fellow was on his break and had given his stand-in the wrong time.

Those were our only requests for service on a 15 day sailing.

We could not train him to not deliver the canapes and sweets. Every day we told him we would not want them and not to bother bringing them and every day he turned up again like a bad penny intruding on our rest. (Do not disturb sign did not stop him from knocking anyway)

Unless I get another free suite upgrade, I won't be booking a cabin with a butler again.