Tell us your butler stories!

cruisinsuz

Interesting observation, Orator. He said he had started as a room steward and been promoted to butler 12 years ago. You would think in 12 years he would have caught on.

In all fairness, maybe we were expecting him to volunteer to do things or to be around more. We essentially saw him once daily when he brought the tea cart around and we never really placed any demands on him. Having read all the glowing reports about other people's experiences with their butlers, I guess we were just disappointed.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but I think people should have realistic expectations.

Just out of curiosity' date=' what do you tip your good/exceptional butlers on a per day basis?[/quote']

On A 5 day on connie, i tipped butler $60

On my TA on Eclipse, tipped $100.

I never held a party or gathering etc. or even ate any meals in the rooms, so was a pretty simple guest.

No butler on our cruises, but in May we'll be staying at Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi, and the room comes with butler service.

Now I have to think of something I will "need"...

We stayed at the Emirates Palace a few years ago and loved having a butler. The pool butlers brought us slippers and housecoats to use by the pool. They would come by with fruit skewers and to clean your sunglasses periodically. After lounging by the pool all day, we asked the pool butler to call our butler and ask him to draw us a bubble bath. We arrived back to our room to have our butler waiting for us with a hot bubble bath with rose petals scattered over the top.

We stayed at the Emirates Palace a few years ago and loved having a butler. The pool butlers brought us slippers and housecoats to use by the pool. They would come by with fruit skewers and to clean your sunglasses periodically. After lounging by the pool all day, we asked the pool butler to call our butler and ask him to draw us a bubble bath. We arrived back to our room to have our butler waiting for us with a hot bubble bath with rose petals scattered over the top.

Now THAT is true luxury...

Butlers on Celebrity are overrated. No wait. Maybe they are just not what they are hyped to be. In any event, they sure do disappoint.:cool:

Overrated? Hyped? Disappoint? Not a chance in my opinion!! Great people who want to do their job professionally and efficiently.

Butlers on Celebrity are overrated. No wait. Maybe they are just not what they are hyped to be. In any event, they sure do disappoint.:cool:

Sorry you didn't have a good experience with your butler. Better luck next time. Our butler, Gene, was a darling. It was a great experience sailing with him.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience with your butler. Better luck next time. Our butler, Gene, was a darling. It was a great experience sailing with him.

So far it has all fallen short. Each and every time...Sorry we can't do this for you. Sorry about that, sorry, sorry, sorry.

CS, RS...it matters not.

(Appreciate your concern though...)

Edited by MizDemeanor

We also had Gene on Century. I had mentally noted all the perks of being in a Sky Suite and was eagerly looking forward to them. Disappointed not to find flowers in the 'suite'. When I mentioned it to Gene, he said, no, that's for Royal Suite and above. Couldn't believe I had to argue with him about it--then ended up with the same measly stems you get in CC. Silly me, expecting a bouquet. . .

He did get us reservations in Murano when I was unable to get them myself; other than that, not really meaningful to us.

We had the lovely Helen as a stewardess on Silhouette earlier this year; now SHE should be promoted to butler-ess!

I've told this one before. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the new Millennium in 2000. We were in a Sky Suite where we first enjoyed the services of a butler. We were sitting in the Sky Lounge after the first part of a back to back. We heard a voice say: " Mr Mrs B it's so nice to see you again". The owner of the voice was the Assistant Head Housekeeper who told us that he was our Butler on the 2000 Millennium cruise. I told him that we must have really taken good care of him or really shifted him for him to remember us. He assured us that we were good guests. By the way, this reunion happened in 2010. I find it difficult to remember people after 5 minutes. He remembered after 10 years.

That's amazing memory. I do not do well when it comes to remembering names.

Our butler on the Reflection was just okay. He did what he was supposed to do but nothing we had to follow up on a few things.

then ended up with the same measly stems you get in CC. Silly me, expecting a bouquet. . .

I was in a royal suite on Eclipse, and the fresh flowers were 3 6" stems of alstromeria in a small jar, size of a rocks glass.

What does CC get?

I was in a royal suite on Eclipse, and the fresh flowers were 3 6" stems of alstromeria in a small jar, size of a rocks glass.

What does CC get?

Right. We were also in a royal suite on the Infinity and did not get a bouquet of flowers. Actually, I've had more flowers in concierge class--you get some in the bathroom as well. Not in the suite.

We survived. :D

At one time (in the good old days as some might say) all Celebrity Butlers were hired from a school that trained Butlers. a future Butler was required to complete the training program to be hired. At this time all of the Butlers I met came from Goa where the school was located. This is no longer the case. Butlers can come from many sources. Had one who was a long time waiter who had developed some physical problems. Celebrity as a reward his service offered him a butler position. He was wonderful.

Right. We were also in a royal suite on the Infinity and did not get a bouquet of flowers. Actually, I've had more flowers in concierge class--you get some in the bathroom as well. Not in the suite.

We survived. :D

I stick the welcome red rose in the water glass in the bathroom :D

We also had Gene on Century. I had mentally noted all the perks of being in a Sky Suite and was eagerly looking forward to them. Disappointed not to find flowers in the 'suite'. When I mentioned it to Gene, he said, no, that's for Royal Suite and above. Couldn't believe I had to argue with him about it--then ended up with the same measly stems you get in CC. Silly me, expecting a bouquet. . .

He did get us reservations in Murano when I was unable to get them myself; other than that, not really meaningful to us.

We had the lovely Helen as a stewardess on Silhouette earlier this year; now SHE should be promoted to butler-ess!

To think one would argue with their butler over flowers, that seems so silly :eek:

Been in the RS on our last two cruises on the Summit and had the same type as arrangements as noted above. Our last cruise in June, I really didn't even notice them and if they weren't there, I wouldn't have bothered pointing it out to the butler.

We have had the pleasure of having wonderful butlers.

From making sure breakfast was served hot to the suite, to leaving our favorite little snacks in the afternoon, to always asking my DH if he'd like the balcony hot tub filled at a certain time, they both (Benjamin last year, Dominick this year) were very nice young men and did whatever they could to make our trip even more special.

We were in a celebrity suite on the Summit in Jan. and when one of of our hard-sided suitcases arrived to the suite... it had a foot-long crack through the side of it. We mentioned it to our butler and then figured we'd be luggage shopping in St. Thomas! Well, the suitcase disappeared only to re-appear with epoxy completely mending the crack so we could get home with it and we were informed that a $100 OBC was forthcoming for the damages! All due to the intervention of our butler! In a Royal Suite this coming Jan. and know we will be well taken care of on the Summit...that's why we return every year!:)