Conch Shell

Rambler5678

They sell them right on the dock. I think the one I bought was $10. They have smaller ones as well for cheaper.

Despite the fact that they do clean out the conch, there will be a smell attached to the shell, especially after a day or two. Our first shell we bought a year ago, we didn't know this, until packing the night before we debarked, and got a huge surprise. We were ready the second time and wrapped it in several plastic bags and threw in some dryer sheets, and no smell.

For both shells that we got, we let sit outside for a few days (maybe up to a week just to be on the safe side), washed them up pretty good (just soap and water), and no more smell.

If you walk past the dock, more into the shops, you can get much better bargains on completely cleaned shells. We found a guy just across the street from Starbucks that had beautiful shells and he engraved them. I think the most we paid was $8 for a large, beautiful, engraved one.

Thanks for the info, this was added to my tablet of notes for our upcoming cruise in June. Every time I come across something I feel that will come in handy I write it down and this will be really helpful. Thank you.

We just bought 1 for the straw market. Guy was located on the walkway on the front left side looking at market from Port side. We paid $12 and he painted it nice and included our family name all for the $12. If your looking for plain shells we found some on the side street vendors from $4 small to $8 large.

011.jpg.163b0c97bbffea6a48ab406b636ca29b.jpg

How do you pack it if you fly? Carry on or checked bags?

Thanks

Recently I've packed them in my checked in bags. I put them in a large zip lock freezer bag (to avoid any leftover smell, if any) then wrap it in clothes. Before one of our vacations, I was reading posts on another site (not Cruise Critic) in which some were able to put them in carry on and get them back with no problem and others were told they couldn't have them on the plane because they could be "used as a weapon" and had them confiscated. If you do an internet search, "conch shells, carry on luggage" you should be able to find the posts.

We just bought 1 for the straw market. Guy was located on the walkway on the front left side looking at market from Port side. We paid $12 and he painted it nice and included our family name all for the $12. If your looking for plain shells we found some on the side street vendors from $4 small to $8 large.

This is so pretty. Does he paint anything you want on it or are they all the same and he adds your name to it?

He had like 3 diffrent back grounds to choose from. He said he paints the main scheme when time allows night or morning while its quiet. He while waiting does just the names. The names when he is donw are again clear coated to prevent chipping. It only takes like 5 minutes for paint and dry time . He was only one I saw doing this,No less for a great price.

He had like 3 diffrent back grounds to choose from. He said he paints the main scheme when time allows night or morning while its quiet. He while waiting does just the names. The names when he is donw are again clear coated to prevent chipping. It only takes like 5 minutes for paint and dry time . He was only one I saw doing this,No less for a great price.

Thanks so much. Add this info to my list so we can get a few of these for Christmas presents and souvenirs.

If you walk past the dock, more into the shops, you can get much better bargains on completely cleaned shells. We found a guy just across the street from Starbucks that had beautiful shells and he engraved them. I think the most we paid was $8 for a large, beautiful, engraved one.

Great tip! I'll be sure to look for him!

Just got off the ship yesterday and at the strawmarket in Nassau they were selling them for $5 and Bahamas was written across the bottom of it.

But I agree with the other post pack a extra large ziploc baggie just in case it starts to smell.

Other people of the ship purchased them and had no problem packing them in the suitcase taking back to the US.

Archived