Smoking policy

Gema

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether Silversea have relaxed their smoking policy?

On my recent Spirit cruise people were smoking on the sun beds down from the bar, and one guy was smoking one of the "replacement" cigarettes on various sunbeds around the pool, on tables on the deck above, in the theatre and even in Stars - I did ask for clarification at mid point on the cruise but received no reply, and staff were aware of what was happening but did not do anything.

I was hoping to add a comment to my end of cruise comment card, but when I asked Marina for a replacement (as my butler, for some reason, had taken the one I had started but not finished),was told I could not have another.

Doug, I know you are joining the ship soon, and would be grateful if you could clarify the rules (for both normal and the new cigarette replacements) as this, along with a lowering of dress regulations, could be a deciding factor on whether I travel with Silversea in the future.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether Silversea have relaxed their smoking policy?

On my recent Spirit cruise people were smoking on the sun beds down from the bar, and one guy was smoking one of the "replacement" cigarettes on various sunbeds around the pool, on tables on the deck above, in the theatre and even in Stars - I did ask for clarification at mid point on the cruise but received no reply, and staff were aware of what was happening but did not do anything.

I was hoping to add a comment to my end of cruise comment card, but when I asked Marina for a replacement (as my butler, for some reason, had taken the one I had started but not finished),was told I could not have another.

Doug, I know you are joining the ship soon, and would be grateful if you could clarify the rules (for both normal and the new cigarette replacements) as this, along with a lowering of dress regulations, could be a deciding factor on whether I travel with Silversea in the future.

Last year the smoking was pretty bad. Couldn't not sit in the bar because of that. The new policy, which I hope is enforced says

Smoking

2013 Smoking Policy

In consideration of evolving consumer trends, and to further promote a safe, comfortable and enjoyable environment for all Silversea guests, staff and crew, an updated smoking policy will go into effect for voyages departing after 1 January 2013.

Smoking is not allowed in most areas of Silversea ships, including:Guest suites and guest suite verandas (including suites, staterooms, verandas and balconies on Silver Explorer)

The Bar (main bar)

Pool Bar (except at specifically designated tables)

Cigarette, cigar and pipe smoking is permitted in the following areas:

The Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated outside areas. These areas include designated tables outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar, as well as on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow, open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind, and open Deck 6 aboard Silver Explorer. Cigarette smoking only is permitted outside La Terrazza. Silversea kindly requests that guests observe the non-smoking areas.

Why did you mention the guy using the "replacement" cigarette? What does that have to do with smoking policies?

The vapor cigarettes should be ok to use anywhere as they do not emit the noxious and dangerous smoke that cigarettes do. I often recommend them to patients trying to quite smoking. Not sure what they would have to do with smoking policy.

Was on the Wind Jan 5th for 10 days, it was the first cruise after their new Smoking Policy went into effect. We were in the Bar one evening during Cocktail hour, a couple came in and sat at the table next to us, the gentelman immediately lit up a Cig. The Bartender came from behind the Bar almost before he took his first puff and very politely explained the No Smoking policy. He was given an empty ashtry to put it out. That was the only abuse of the new Smoking Policy I observed, didn't smell any smoke in any of the Hallways, no neighbors nearby were smoking on their Balconies. There were daily comments in their paper about the new Smoking Policy and also there was a letter on the desk that explained it as well. I believe SS was doing the very best to enforce it.

We were on Silver Wind summer 2012 around the med and the smoking by 6 intrepid and very arrogant cigar smokers outside of the panorama lounge plus the smoking bar side on the pool deck totally spoilt any hope of enjoying sitting in comfort

The cigar smoke was trapped under and along the canopy and non smokers had no option but to retreat to their cabins

No point trying to sit on balconies because these were either so windy or they too were affected by smokers despite the fact smoking on balconies was supposed to be banned

Management refused to do anything other than contact security who in turn expected Bar Staff in fear of loosing their jobs to deal with beligerant cigar smokers

The answer is quite simple ..............all cigar and pipe smoking should be strictly limited to the Hunidor /connisours lounge

I mentioned the "replacement" cigarettes because in the UK I work in a government office where these are treated in the same way as normal cigarettes - they can only be smoked outside in our designated "smoking shelters".

I apologise if I have offended anyone with this post.

I mentioned the "replacement" cigarettes because in the UK I work in a government office where these are treated in the same way as normal cigarettes - they can only be smoked outside in our designated "smoking shelters".

The son of a close friend encountered this policy at his work. A difficult problem since he is trying to quit smoking by using these, but he is forced to sit with smokers in order to use them.

The son of a close friend encountered this policy at his work. A difficult problem since he is trying to quit smoking by using these, but he is forced to sit with smokers in order to use them.

I wasn't offended, just puzzled, as the only thing they emit is an odourless steam - they don't affect nearby people. Unless someone starts hitting you with one :)

As Rachel said, condemning "vapers" to hang out with the smokers is the best way to increase the number of smokers on the ship.

Just left the Spirit today. There was no smoking anywhere except in the designated areas. No smell anywhere. I vape when I drink and used it inside the Panorama and no one threw a hissy. The smokers on board were very considerate. No problems. Can we finally let this go.

Vaping - It is the term for an electronic cigarette. It is water vapor with an added flavor. Hence the term vaping for vapor. No smell, tar or nicotine. Vapor comes out of your mouth instead of smoke. It satisfies the oral need for a cigarette at certain times. Healthier than shoving donuts in your mouth. Best way to quit and not start up again. Plus, you do not gain weight. Size 4 or 6 when I smoked. Same now.:D

I only had 1 silly person on our 2012 SS become alarmed. She approached me quite nastily and inquired if I was SMOKING. I showed her my device. It is silver and looks like an expensive pen. I asked her if she saw anything lit or any smoke emanating from the device. I then blew the vapor in her face and asked if she could smell anything. The answer was NO to both ???. She then waddled away in a huff. Guess she was looking for a fight and I wouldn't give her one.;)

PS: I hope this doesn't cause a loooong discussion. IT is NOT smoking.:)

Archived