American Express Travellers Check C Card

wtevrfltsurbt

Has anyone used this type of prepaid credit card yet? From what I understand it is just like travellers checks but it's a credit card that you prepay. Is it accepted on Princess for example to use as the credit card you place on file for all your onboard charges? I hate to bring lots of cash with me when I travel and I'd like to put the amount I have budgeted for the trip on the card so I won't go nuts shopping!:o :rolleyes:

Thanks for your responses.

According to this article from the San Francisco Chronicle travel section, no you can't use it for on board expenses:

Stored-value cards vie with credit cards, travelers checks

For the definitive answer I think you'll have to check (pun intended) with both AMEX and Princess.

Jim

Jim, thank so much for the link to the story. I had almost purchased the travel card from AAA but I had no idea you couldn't use it like a credit card. I appreciate it and will simply bring my American Express card, my Visa/debit card, and a regular credit card and keep an eye on my things.

Let's give Jim the "credit" (pun intended) for posting this great info!

I appreciate it!

Happy Cruising!

According to this article from the San Francisco Chronicle travel section, no you can't use it for on board expenses:

Stored-value cards vie with credit cards, travelers checks

For the definitive answer I think you'll have to check (pun intended) with both AMEX and Princess.

Jim

My husband bought me a prepaid Visa card for Christmas. Sounded like a great idea...NOT! Each time I used it I was supposed to know what the exact amount of the balance left was. This was difficult and I can't imagine having to do that while traveling. I will have to know more about AMEX prepaid card before I pass judgment on that one. Sure would check it out...all the ins and outs...before I did that.

I have the Amex card you are speaking of. It cannot be used for what you intended to use it for. I find it convenient when you go into a restaurant or small shop and it is not part of a bigger chain. You can then use it without any apprehension. Also, it is good to have if you need any extra money as it will not affect your regular bank account balance. I do not worry if I need to use an ATM connetced with a small bank or located in a small store (a private ATM as I call it). There are a few restrictions such as you can't use it for hotel, gas, rent-a-car charges and some others. Even though it has some faults, I still feel comfortable having it in my pocket.

All the best

Archived