ipads

Ipads have an issue disconnecting from the system on board. A lot of people have been charged for a ridiculous amount of minutes because their iPad forgot to disconnect properly. If you use it onboard make sure you sign off fully.

Ipads have an issue disconnecting from the system on board. A lot of people have been charged for a ridiculous amount of minutes because their iPad forgot to disconnect properly. If you use it onboard make sure you sign off fully.

I found that the best way to "log off" when using my iPAD was to turn off the WiFi connection from the ''settings" menu.

I found that the best way to "log off" when using my iPAD was to turn off the WiFi connection from the ''settings" menu.

Turning off your WiFi (i.e. airplane mode) disconnects you but does not log you off! How do I know? I got hit with 2 hours of internet because I didn't go to the RCCL log off page first.

Guest services reversed the $120 charge when I complained. It seems silly that the system can keep charging you so long after disconnecting. So bookmark the log off screen and log off first. The system will confirm that you have logged off and tell you how many minutes you used. Only then do I put it airplane mode.

Yes! It happened to me just last week onboard the Voyager. I tried logging off for 30 minutes without success and went to guest relations for assistance. Thankfully they credited me about 45 minutes worth of connection time. :)

You are correct and FYI, you can be in " Airplane mode" and still have Wi-Fi on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same problems logging off. I went to Guest Relations and the lady that helped me get my iPad to the log off screen, copied the URL and pasted it on my NOTES page. All I had to do was go to the NOTES page, click on the URL and I was logged off. This worked perfectly and was simple. This was on the Indy.

I have saved that page and am hoping the log off URL is the same on all the ships so I'll be set for my next cruise. (The printed direction paper they five you seems to have the same log off URL. )

Most ship systems will keep you on for quite a while if you have disconnected but not properly signed off. Method I use is to always uses 1.1.1.1 on the address line of the browser calling up the sign off. You should always wait to get the confirmation and sign off useage page. I them take a screen picture of it to verify later if necessary.

Ships internet is often slow and often sporadic. This is most often comparable to old charge by the minute dial up modem style. When paying by the minute you want to pay attention.

I use both laptop and Ipad on ships. I try where possible to use downloaded programming. In example NBC News had an app that when you start it up downloads the news stories to Ipad. I use Ipad mail program and download my mail. My local paper has an option to download it. This means I can jump on internet, download a bunch of stuff in minutes them sign off and read at my leisure not worrying about minutes ringing up. Not all programs download many stream and require you stay connected.

I recommend playing at home with your free internet to see which programs download etc. Simply start them up and then go airplane mode and see if the material is still readable.

Also note that minute packages are usually the best way to go for most. Bear in mind you often can use 5 minutes just getting signed off.

I have a Verizon hot spot for my iPad and other devices will it work or will royal charge me for using my hot spot?

You need to sign into their service before you will get charged. If you are using your own internet access, you will not be charged by the ship but by your own provider.

I had the same problems logging off. I went to Guest Relations and the lady that helped me get my iPad to the log off screen, copied the URL and pasted it on my NOTES page. All I had to do was go to the NOTES page, click on the URL and I was logged off. This worked perfectly and was simple. This was on the Indy.

I have saved that page and am hoping the log off URL is the same on all the ships so I'll be set for my next cruise. (The printed direction paper they five you seems to have the same log off URL. )

The URL on Freedom was:

appdb.rccl.com/ekgnkm/wirelesslogin.asp

That same URL is used for logging out and back in...

I have a Verizon hot spot for my iPad and other devices will it work or will royal charge me for using my hot spot?

That gets tricky. If you are using Royal's satellite connection (most likely this will happen) it will be a nasty nasty charge. It is similar to talking on your phone all that time. The only repeaters on a ship at sea are the ones owned by the ship and your hotspot needs to connect to a repeater to work.

If you are on the Internet you will be charged by the minute by RCI, plus data time by your provider if data is used. If you are calling in/out texting in/out you will be charged by your cell provider plus any data used

Most ship systems will keep you on for quite a while if you have disconnected but not properly signed off. Method I use is to always uses 1.1.1.1 on the address line of the browser calling up the sign off. You should always wait to get the confirmation and sign off useage page. I them take a screen picture of it to verify later if necessary.

Ships internet is often slow and often sporadic. This is most often comparable to old charge by the minute dial up modem style. When paying by the minute you want to pay attention.

I use both laptop and Ipad on ships. I try where possible to use downloaded programming. In example NBC News had an app that when you start it up downloads the news stories to Ipad. I use Ipad mail program and download my mail. My local paper has an option to download it. This means I can jump on internet, download a bunch of stuff in minutes them sign off and read at my leisure not worrying about minutes ringing up. Not all programs download many stream and require you stay connected.

I recommend playing at home with your free internet to see which programs download etc. Simply start them up and then go airplane mode and see if the material is still readable.

Also note that minute packages are usually the best way to go for most. Bear in mind you often can use 5 minutes just getting signed off.

I have had the IPAD "hang" while signing off, and after a few minutes of waiting & having no idea what's going on I just go to settings and switch WiFi off. Someone needs to make an APP that logs the times you are connect to RCI's server.

Archived