Guernsey -weather -tender problems.

tinkerfenwick

I've read on many posts that winds and swell can be an issue for tendering.

We have a stopover on Azura next month, so... If we can't tender what is the usual P&O procedure ...

Do we just stay on board (like a sea day) or go to Cherbourg as mentioned in a post.

I'm taking this cruise as a "chillax", so a day at sea is fine but just curious as to what P&O usually do...

Thanks

We have managed to tender in both times we have been to Guernsey so you could well be ok. Otherwise we were just going to have a sea day if the weather had been tricky. We visited in April and august but the swell was slight. Good luck!

Guernsey is a difficult port as the ship cannot dock and must tender from a much greater distance than usual. Depending on weather conditions and the availabilty of berths the captain may dock elsewhere. Otherwise it is an extra sea day or (if you are homeward bound, as we once were) an early return to Southampton.

When I missed it on QE2 we had an extra day at sea, but a friend was diverted to Cherbourg. No way of knowing really as it will depend on whether there are other ships in the nearby ports.

We missed Guernsey on the old Arcadia with a force 11 gale behind us. Captain decided that the safest (only?) option was to head straight to Southampton post haste, so we arrived there early evening on the day before we were due to disembark. As there were no customs officers etc available we had to stay onboard overnight, but a full entertainment programme was run as though we had been at sea.

• 1 month later...

I was on Azura last june and we couldn't tender at Guernsey so we went to Cherbourg instead. Nice deep dock there :) We also went full steam ahead to beat a gale that evening and stayed in Southampton overnight for our last night!

Archived