PLAYA MIA how to book, what's included?

mitsugirly

We are thinking about going to Playa Mia on our next cruise to Cozumel.

I have several questions...

1) Has anyone been there since they opened the new kids water park? What is your opinion? Are the water slides for kids only or do adults use it? Is there an age or height requirement for the water slides?

2) I noticed that you can book 2 different packages (using the cruiseline from Playa Mias site). One is pretty general which includes the admission and use of the place but does not include food. It does say it includes an open bar. Does this mean unlimited drinks? The second package includes the food and all of the above. Does anyone know how much the food runs if you just get the first package?

3) Is there good snorkeling here from the beach? I have seen snorkeling pictures here and there but don't know if that's reachable directly from the beach. I also seen them mention an underwater mayan ruins while snorkeling too. Just wondering how far out it is.

4) Has anyone ever used the kids club there? Normally our daughter does everything with us (she will be 5 on this cruise) but we are also taking my grandson (same age) and he's not too comfortable with the water so he might need the sitting/kids club services while we snorkel (if we decide to all go at the same time). Does this cost extra?

Anything else anyone can tell me about this place would be appreciated. I know a lot of people go here for the cooking classes and really love it but we are not interested in the cooking classes, just the place itself, beach and waterpark.

Thanks in advance. :)

you may like to go on a less expensive way!!! get on a taxi and ask to take you to Playa San Francisco, Mr. Sanchos, or Paradise beach, they have the same water parks and are less less expensive and less crowded! Just saying!

:confused: None of this answered my questions. We are going to Playa Mia and have questions about Playa Mia. Not looking for other options to go to. No the other places don't have a water park either. They may have water toys, but not a water park for the kids.

819227_10151441060920329_1505556759_o_zpsc122f942.jpg

We are going in August for the 3rd time and love it. The lesser cost one includes drinks of any kind, but does not include the water park or food. The more expensive one includes the water park and food. We have a friend that owns a house in Cozumel and goes down there twice a year. She told us last week that Playa Mia is her favorite beach. We will do the lesser cost because our kids are grown and have kids of their own, but we love Playa Mia.

We are going in August for the 3rd time and love it. The lesser cost one includes drinks of any kind, but does not include the water park or food. The more expensive one includes the water park and food. We have a friend that owns a house in Cozumel and goes down there twice a year. She told us last week that Playa Mia is her favorite beach. We will do the lesser cost because our kids are grown and have kids of their own, but we love Playa Mia.

Wait, the cheaper one doesn't include the water park? My oldest daughter was looking at the site today and she said it did include the water park. :confused:

Do you know what kind of food they have and what the cost are? I know I read somewhere that it's $16 for the buffet if you don't buy the more expensive ticket, but I'm wondering how much for various plates instead?

When I act like I'm booking and go to the booking for the cheaper day it states the following (in their long list of everything included):

You will be able to experience the amazing new water park attraction. The water park features the Buccaneer’s Bay kids’ area; a lagoon pool full of fun activities such as water cannons, pirate ship, water sprays & animal slides; the Oasis Island Pool & Hydro Massage Tub & the 200- foot long Twin Twister Waterslides.

So, it should include the new water park, even with the lower priced option. :confused:

Can anyone confirm they have done this?

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm they have done this?

Mitsurgirly,

It seems everywhere I go in researching my next cruise, there you are! Apparently we like similar excursions. I saw on another post, where you are jumping (maybe temporarily) from NCL to CCL. We are doing the opposite: trying NCL for the first time on our next cruise.

Anyway... I think you are actually cruising this week. :) Please report back on Playa Mia!!!! Since we have so much free OBC, I think I may use it for the cruisline's snorkeling excursion to Playa Mia.

Mitsurgirly,

It seems everywhere I go in researching my next cruise, there you are! Apparently we like similar excursions. I saw on another post, where you are jumping (maybe temporarily) from NCL to CCL. We are doing the opposite: trying NCL for the first time on our next cruise.

Anyway... I think you are actually cruising this week. :) Please report back on Playa Mia!!!! Since we have so much free OBC, I think I may use it for the cruisline's snorkeling excursion to Playa Mia.

Hello. :D We were at Playa Mia last week. I just started back to school yesterday and things are busy but I hope to get a review on Playa Mia done as soon as I get a free moment. (Nursing student with a free moment...now that's funny). I will give you a link here when I get started. ;) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Mitsurgirly,

It seems everywhere I go in researching my next cruise, there you are! Apparently we like similar excursions.

Lol.. Same here! I really enjoyed reading the reviews. It's awesome to see reviews that includes younger children. It's so helpful when we are planning our days (I have a 3 y/o ds). I'm considering paying it forward and doing the review thing too.. For the next momma that comes looking. Thank you!

Lol.. Same here! I really enjoyed reading the reviews. It's awesome to see reviews that includes younger children. It's so helpful when we are planning our days (I have a 3 y/o ds). I'm considering paying it forward and doing the review thing too.. For the next momma that comes looking. Thank you!

Aww thanks so much. I appreciate the compliment. I love doing the reviews to help people out. :)

• 3 weeks later...
So--what was your final cost p/p for Playa Mia. I'm looking at the website, and can't find an option that includes only drinks.

Confused...???

CeleBrat

I believe they have changed things a bit (the pricing and packages) since we went. We booked with the cruise ship because at the time, I didn't realize there was another way to book (private). From the reports I have been reading since we returned from there (last May), they have taken away the package we did (which was to come and go as we pleased and included the admission and all the drinks you wanted). Now I'm being told they don't offer this option anymore and it includes your meal if you want the drink package (which we didn't at the time we went and wanted to pick and purchase our own food versus the buffet).

Do you have to book in advance or can you just show up and pay at the door? Does anyone have any info on that?

If you must book in advance, do you have to pretend you are not on a cruise to get them to allow it? We are on Celebrity, if that makes a difference.

I am still deciding between Chankanaab and Playa Mia. DH is into snorkeling and he likes slides and a water park. From what I am gathering from Mitsugirly is that if he would rather snorkel we should do Chankanaab and if he would prefer the water park, we should go to Playa Mia.

I am not into either, I just want somewhere with a nice pool, preferrable overlooking the beach. If not overlooking then a pretty beach that I can look at and walk on. I am not much for sitting on the beach (I don't want to get sandy everywhere) or actually going into the ocean/sea. My dream is a beautiful infinity type of pool where I can sit and look out at the beach.

Or we could just go to Paradise beach, I know they have a pool and beach. But I am trying to convince DH that he should go somewhere that he can either snorkel or go to the water park, because we are not bring our DD to look after. So he can do what he wants, as I (of course) can supervise myself.

Do you have to book in advance or can you just show up and pay at the door? Does anyone have any info on that?

If you must book in advance, do you have to pretend you are not on a cruise to get them to allow it? We are on Celebrity, if that makes a difference.

I am still deciding between Chankanaab and Playa Mia. DH is into snorkeling and he likes slides and a water park. From what I am gathering from Mitsugirly is that if he would rather snorkel we should do Chankanaab and if he would prefer the water park, we should go to Playa Mia.

I am not into either, I just want somewhere with a nice pool, preferrable overlooking the beach. If not overlooking then a pretty beach that I can look at and walk on. I am not much for sitting on the beach (I don't want to get sandy everywhere) or actually going into the ocean/sea. My dream is a beautiful infinity type of pool where I can sit and look out at the beach.

Or we could just go to Paradise beach, I know they have a pool and beach. But I am trying to convince DH that he should go somewhere that he can either snorkel or go to the water park, because we are not bring our DD to look after. So he can do what he wants, as I (of course) can supervise myself.

You do not have to pretend that you are not on a cruise ship. I'm not sure if you can just show up (maybe someone else that has done that can answer). You can book online with a 3rd party that offers day trips there.

If DH is in to snorkeling, Chankanaab is where you want to go. They do have a pool there, however it is over by the dolphin swim area, which isn't near the snorkeling.

Here's an overview of Chankanaab. You can see where the snorkeling is and over where is says "lockers", look to the left and you can see where the pool is located. The dolphin area is right in front of that.

chankanaab%20park%20map-L.jpg

As for the "waterpark" at Playa Mia. People mention the waterpark because they usually have kids with them. The "waterpark" is mainly for the children. It isn't deep and adults can't "play" on it (the small slides and stuff).

P5120141-L.jpg

The only adult waterpark items would be the 2 water slides they have (and children can use this as well).

P5120121-L.jpg

So unless he plans on going on this over and over all day, that's the extent of the adult-use of the waterpark.

They have a pool next to this waterpark that is new and it's extremely nice and big.

P5120105-L.jpg

However, this area is no where near the beach. It's toward the back of the place.

You can see in this overview picture (which is not mine) where the pool in the back is in relation to the ocean.

cozumel-playa-mia-03.jpg

Now the "older" original pool is toward the beach. I wouldn't say it's anything fancy and definitely not an infinity pool. Just something to dip in or swim to cool off. I'm not sure it would be the beautiful ocean view you are looking for.

P5120045-L.jpg

Now we are even more undecided. Considering that this is my 4th time to Cozumel you would think that I would have a better idea of what to do. Now I am thinking about either Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos. We have been to PB and while I like it, I am not sure I want to go there again. Its kind of a been there, done that thing. We have been planning on going to Mr. Sanchos the last two times and ended up elsewhere. We have a drink package on the ship so AI is probably not something we need. So we were thinking of doing pay as you go at Mr. Sanchos. But it looks like the pool is pretty small. PB has a nice pool, but I like the looks of everything else at Mr. Sanchos better. Plus they seem to be a tiny bit cheaper on their ala carte prices.

I have heard that Mr. Sanchos and Paradise Beach are very close to each other. Is it possible to walk from one to another- assuming we don't care for Mr. Sanchos much. If not, I am not going to do a taxi, we will just stay around. I guess we could go to the beach, as we probably should do in the caribbean, but I am more of a pool person.

BTW thank you Mitsugirly for doing your reviews. You have been to pretty much everywhere I am considering so its a great help.

Edited by cruzinlisa

Sanchos has two pools..

A small one for the ala carte walkup side and a bigger, newer one on the AI side.

The pools at Sanchos sit back from the beach also.

cozumel_mr_sanchos_beach_parasailing_excursion_72-22.jpg

AI pool to the left and ala carte pool to the right.

mr-sanchos-cozumel.jpg

Guess which is AI and which is ala carte?

mr_sanchos_02.jpg

When people say the beach clubs are "next door", it isn't like walking from Best Buy to a Target...

cozumelmap_zpse1be2215.jpg

They are just all in a row on the same stretch of beach. (plus Playa Mia lies between Paradise beach and Mr. Sanchos)

When you are laying at Nachi, you can see Mr. Sanchos off in the distance. (but I wouldn't want to walk it in the Cozumel heat)

Edited by bguppies

Now we are even more undecided. Considering that this is my 4th time to Cozumel you would think that I would have a better idea of what to do. Now I am thinking about either Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos. We have been to PB and while I like it, I am not sure I want to go there again. Its kind of a been there, done that thing. We have been planning on going to Mr. Sanchos the last two times and ended up elsewhere. We have a drink package on the ship so AI is probably not something we need. So we were thinking of doing pay as you go at Mr. Sanchos. But it looks like the pool is pretty small. PB has a nice pool, but I like the looks of everything else at Mr. Sanchos better. Plus they seem to be a tiny bit cheaper on their ala carte prices.

I have heard that Mr. Sanchos and Paradise Beach are very close to each other. Is it possible to walk from one to another- assuming we don't care for Mr. Sanchos much. If not, I am not going to do a taxi, we will just stay around. I guess we could go to the beach, as we probably should do in the caribbean, but I am more of a pool person.

BTW thank you Mitsugirly for doing your reviews. You have been to pretty much everywhere I am considering so its a great help.

You're very welcome for the reviews. I enjoy going to new places and experiencing something different each time...even it might not be as good as the last or if I'm afraid to try something else just because I liked somewhere I was at before. It's still a day in the Caribbean and it gives me a chance to try something new. :) (It also gives me a chance to return and try something new again). :D

Here's a map to see how close they are:

cozumel%20close-L.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yes, you can just show up, and pay at the door. We took a taxi,and then our taxi driver got out and negotiated the prices for us, we saved about 9 or 10 per person because of our taxi driver :)

You don't have to pretend you're not on a cruise ship.

We lived Playa Mia, and will be going back!