Scooping up smiles.

354.JPG

357.jpg

358.JPG

360.JPG

362A.jpg

Think the bubbly cost something.

364A.jpg

Figure I will alternate Jade and port photos to break things up so next is my favorite day of the cruise, our day out on our own in Israel. I'll try to post the set later.

Thanks so much for your photos - they're fabulous! We are on our way to the Jade this Friday and are really looking forward to it - especially now!

Please tell me what your thoughts are regarding whether we can do Herculaneum as well as Capri in one day. We plan on touring this stop on our own. We've seen Pompeii on our last cruise to the Med so didn't want to do it again but your Herculaneum photos make that site look very interesting. Also I'm wondering if one would require a guide or did they have 'do it yourself' brocheurs when you entered the site? You also mentioned that the site is located very close to Naples - how far from the port/

It's so wonderful to get the information first hand! Thanks in advance for your response!

Sounds like a real roller coaster of a hotel experience, but maybe good for telling stories now. It's awful luck about your pictures, what is a memory card problem or a camera writing error? We download our pictures onto a laptop every night on cruises as a backup in case something messes up with the camera or just in case something happens.

Don't know what happened - big black splotch when there was a lot of light - you can see the issue in this pic. We do have some that didn't get spoiled, but some great shots got messed up. We did notice issue when playing back within camera, but being photo novices hoped it wouldn't show up in final pics.

ry%3D400

We now have a new camera! Keep yours coming - they're great! You definitely know when to go B&W - it really enhances the artistry of those particular pics.

Thanks so much for your photos - they're fabulous! We are on our way to the Jade this Friday and are really looking forward to it - especially now!

Please tell me what your thoughts are regarding whether we can do Herculaneum as well as Capri in one day. We plan on touring this stop on our own. We've seen Pompeii on our last cruise to the Med so didn't want to do it again but your Herculaneum photos make that site look very interesting. Also I'm wondering if one would require a guide or did they have 'do it yourself' brocheurs when you entered the site? You also mentioned that the site is located very close to Naples - how far from the port/

It's so wonderful to get the information first hand! Thanks in advance for your response!

Hi, I think it is possible if you leave early in the morning and plan the train and the hydrofoil (have schedules with you since you never know about Italian punctuality and I think the train was slower than the schedule indicated) and leave enough buffer time in getting back.

General Train info, in Naples there are 3 types of trains you can catch

1) Trains from TrenItalia which are bound for Italy and Europe

2) Naples Metro which are city metro and cableways. Called Linea (1-6)

3) *Circumvesuviana* which is the commuter area train. This is the train typle to catch to Ercolano and the stop is Ercolano Scavi.

It is a slightly downhill walk, takes about 10-20 minutes depending on how quick you are.

In Naples there are 2 train stations:

1) Napoli Porta Nolana (NAPOLI P.Nolana) - This is nearest to the port where the Jade will dock. Sorry I do not have any first hand knowledge of how to get there from the port or the layout since we never went there.

2) Napoli Garibaldi - This is where we caught the train in the central district.

At the site: There were private guides offering services but we did not use one. You do get a booklet which has a numbered description of the various buildings (40+). You can buy an audio guide but I read some complaints about clarity and usefulness. There was quite a bit of construction so quite a few buildings were closed in February. We spent 2 hours there (did not rush but did not try to see building) could have cut it to around 90 minutes. The train schedules are from Sept. 2012.

NAPOLI to Sorrento.pdf

SORRENTO - Napoli.pdf

Don't know what happened - big black splotch when there was a lot of light - you can see the issue in this pic. We do have some that didn't get spoiled, but some great shots got messed up. We did notice issue when playing back within camera, but being photo novices hoped it wouldn't show up in final pics.

ry%3D400

We now have a new camera! Keep yours coming - they're great! You definitely know when to go B&W - it really enhances the artistry of those particular pics.

Hmm, that is pretty weird maybe something on the lens. New cameras are nice, camera technology is always improving. Thanks, it's fun to play around and see what a photo looks like in b&w.

Thanks so much - I think we will give it a go - I'd love to see both sites. Your information is extremely helpful - especially the train schedules. Much appreciated!!!

Sure, no prob. Hope you enjoy both places. One more pdf we printed for Ercolano was this site map to help with navigating once we picked an interesting building number from the booklet.

http://www.pompeiisites.org/allegati/Ercolano_120515053426.pdf

What a fantastic review.......and as for the pictures.....all I can say is .....WOW!!!

Thank-you so much for sharing.....especially the pictures of the Jade. We are sailing her this Summer to the Greek Islands and are super-excited!

You're welcome. The Jade is a cozy ship, hope you have a blast soaking in all the stunning summer scenery in Greece.

Thanks for sharing your fantastic photos. I'm sailing on the Spirit in September for her Grand Mediterannean itinerary, and I'm ready for some inspiration. Cheers!

Prego. Seems like in the Med there is a postcard picture around every corner. Have fun shooting.

We had a Jerusalem tour booked for our second day in Israel so we wanted something a little different and casual for our first day. We thought about doing a DIY food tour in Tel Aviv and Jaffa but then came across Rosh Hanikra, a nature reserve in Northern Israel which was close to the rail network. It looked fun and we decided to combine nearby Akko with it.

Haifa port is next to the train station so you can get around the coast. It's fast and modern so no probs.

398.jpg

From the station we took a taxi to Rosh Hanikra. It's perched above cliffs and includes nature reserves and a kibbutz.

400.jpg

Rosh Hanikra ("head of the grottos"). The Hebrew alphabet reminded me of Japanese Katakana script.

402.jpg

From the entrace you drop down below to the caves and grotto by cable car. Said to be the steepest cable car in the world, ascending at 60 degrees

404.jpg

405.JPG

The cave tunnel track runs about 200 meters long. It's lighted inside but is tight in some spots and the footing is slippery with all the moisture and water.

406.jpg

It wasn't very busy that morning so felt like it was ours to explore and had the luxury to take our time shooting photos. Heard that it gets busy with locals on the weekend. A big group of elementary school kids arrived as we were leaving, speaking to us using some English they had learned wishing us a nice time in Israel.

Inside one of the view points.

408.JPG

411.jpg

412.jpg

Really fun to just hear the wall of noise of crashing water.

414.jpg

416.JPG

417.JPG

It wasn't very busy that morning so felt like it was ours to explore and had the luxury to take our time shooting photos. Heard that it gets busy with locals on the weekend. A big group of elementary school kids arrived as we were leaving, speaking to us using some English they had learned wishing us a nice time in Israel.

Inside one of the view points.

408.JPG

411.jpg

412.jpg

Really fun to just hear the wall of noise of crashing water.

414.jpg

416.JPG

417.JPG

These photos are gorgeous!

Outside the grotto there are some great views.

420.jpg

This rock formation is called "Elephant's Leg"

416.JPG

After a taxi back to Akko it was time for lunch. In trip planning, we wanted to have hummus in Israel. When we searched the best places there were about 5 that continually came up on internet sites and one was in Akko, Hummus Said. It was packed when we got there, with the line spilling out the door. Mostly locals with some tourists waiting as the shared tables were constantly being filled, wiped, and filled again.

430.jpg

Our awesome server, after showing him this "nice photo" (our words) we took of him, he wanted to show us more "nice photos" (his words) and shared weekend snaps (like dressed as a clown) with friends on his iPhone.

432.jpg

Good hummus places in Israel only serve hummus, with the companion stack of pide bread really being the appetizer + main + dessert. We ordered 2 types of hummus, one classic and let our waiter pick the other which was our favorite. It was freaking awesome; warm, flavorful and wonderfully rustic. Best bite of the trip by far.

434.jpg

They give you a bowl of pickled vegatables as well to freshen your palate between your mouthful of hummus.

438.JPG

With smiling full bellies we walked off a few calories as we saw the rest of the Souk, a maze of interesting shops and stalls.

440.jpg

Fragrant spices punching the air.

442.jpg

Hibiscus and rose petals among other dried flora.

444.jpg

Perfect bites of baklava.

446.jpg

448.JPG

450.JPG

More walking strolling along Akko harbor.

452.jpg

Fishing boats packed in like sardines.

454.jpg

Now that's what I call Catch of the Day, fishing from inside a restaurant.

456.jpg

A fisherman casting off by the fortified wall.

458.jpg

Along the city wall.

460.jpg

So well preserved, can imagine all the waves of invaders through the ages.

462.jpg

So we were full from lunch but read that there was a popular seafood restaurant we had to try, Yuri Buri. They serve small plates and since we were craving a hit of seafood we gave it a try.

Salmon sashimi with wasabi sorbet. Not the greatest cut of salmon but the chilled sorbet combo was a funky twist.

466.jpg

Prawns Mediterranean style with lemon, garlic and herbs.

468.JPG

Scallops St. Jacques…best of the three, the scallops were on point.

470.jpg

More exploring at the Citadel. As you enter the Knights Hall which was under heavy restoration so not too much to see. One of a the few sections not under scaffolding and plastic.

472.jpg

474.jpg

Outside the Citadel, walking around in the heart of the Old town.

476.JPG

Templar Tunnel, an ancient tunnel that was dug by the Templar knights in the late 1290's.

480.jpg

The Templar knights job was to protect the pilgrims that visited the Holy Land since the crusaders had been forced out of Jerusalem.

482.jpg

The tunnel is about 350 meters long.

484.jpg

After about 800 years, the tunnel was rediscovered by chance. In 1994 a person, living above the tunnel, complained of blocked sewage. While searching for the source of the blockage, the tunnel was discovered.

486.JPG

488.JPG

After a wicked day time to catch the train back to the ship with groups of soldiers just as Sabbath was approaching.

490.jpg

Here are some photos from the Jade on an early morning walkabout, so no people around. The bars on Deck 6.

500.JPG

501.JPG

P0000237.JPG

By the Medusa Lounge hallway leading to the Stardust theater

503.JPG

504.JPG

The library and internet room

505.JPG

We went for dinner at Papa's, the Italian flat fee ($15) restaurant. It was very quiet when we went, maybe 3 to 5 tables during our dinner. We have really liked the Italian specialty restaurants on past cruises but this one was hit and miss. The dishes seemed salty to us. We like salt but found things over seasoned, the salt too overpowering.

512.JPG

Insalata Fresca

513.JPG

Fried Calamari was a little disappointing.

514.JPG

Minstrone with Shrimp

514a.JPG

515.JPG

516.JPG

Carbonara was a bit thick and clunky tasting.

517.JPG

The most unusual plate was the Lobster pasta. It had an Asian leaning tilt to it while we were expected seafood broth goodness.

518.JPG

Some entrees next. Pork Scallopini Marsala with gnocchi.

519.JPG

Ossobuco. Was enormous with tasty bone marrow.

520.JPG

To finish, Torta di Cioccolata

521.JPG

Hello fireflies

I find it necessary to repeat myself ... I absolutely love your photographs!!!! I always find it interesting to see a subject through the eyes of a different camera and photographer. Thanks again for sharing ...

Cdn in KS

Archived