NCL JADE - Feb 2013 Mediterranean & the Holy Land * Photo review *

fireflies

thanxs canehdn;) for the comments and feedback, think it is fun to see through another set of eyes too.

I have never been too sure if most people on the cruisecritic boards want a bunch of photos (the images are a bit large and can take a while to load) or just the straight info and tips or a light hearted daily diary in reviews. Think most are not too interested in port photos unless they have been on the same itinerary (this one is a little offbeat) since they may not have a reference point or unless they are going to do the identical excursion (like in the Caribbean) which is understandable.

You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you. The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.

-Dorothy Lange

Wow! All I can say is wow! You are the epitome of the quotes you have quoted. You review is so full of life. Your words are telling only part of the story but your pictures DEFINE your review. Superb! I'm definitely subscribing and eagerly awaiting for more.:D

Which 4/3 camera do you have? I'm in the market for one. Your photos are wonderful.

Thanks. We have 2 Micro Four Thirds cameras. I use an Olympus OM-D EM-5. Long winded name but the OM-D is the product line and EM-5 is the model number. My sister has a Panasonic GF5. The Olympus uses some newer tech so it's a little better in dark and low light situations.

Bit more info if you are curious (sorry if you know the info below)

Olympus has 4 lines of cameras and they are all very capable.

1) OM-D - full featured model

2) P - P stands for Pen

3) PL - Pen (Light)

4) PM - Pen (Mini) - smallest in size

The E-PM2 and E-PL5 are much cheaper but are still excellent cameras (they are the latest generation of cameras), they just have less features (smaller screen, no viewfinder) than the top model.

We don't use the kit lens from either company, though they are a good value and I have read they are solid in good light. Let me know if you have any questions about lens or Panasonic cameras.

Wow! All I can say is wow! You are the epitome of the quotes you have quoted. You review is so full of life. Your words are telling only part of the story but your pictures DEFINE your review. Superb! I'm definitely subscribing and eagerly awaiting for more.:D

thanxs for the post, so nice of you to say so. :) i like using quotes since they express ideas much clearer than i could.

we take heaps of touristy standing in front of something photos but i also like taking slice of life, capture a moment style of pictures too. I'll try to post a bunch of photos today since i likely won't be around a computer for most of the weekend.

hi meltingmoments. I'd go with the gorgeous creature winking at you. ;) Papa's Kitchen is in a nice spot, you have views of the water on the side (we ate late so it was completely dark so no view pictures) and it's quiet so you hear yourself think unlike the chaos in MDR when it is busy. There are a lot of options and the portions are huge, too large i think. We had half sized portions of the pasta but they were still twice too big.

Thanks. We have 2 Micro Four Thirds cameras. I use an Olympus OM-D EM-5. Long winded name but the OM-D is the product line and EM-5 is the model number. My sister has a Panasonic GF5. The Olympus uses some newer tech so it's a little better in dark and low light situations.

Bit more info if you are curious (sorry if you know the info below)

Olympus has 4 lines of cameras and they are all very capable.

1) OM-D - full featured model

2) P - P stands for Pen

3) PL - Pen (Light)

4) PM - Pen (Mini) - smallest in size

The E-PM2 and E-PL5 are much cheaper but are still excellent cameras (they are the latest generation of cameras), they just have less features (smaller screen, no viewfinder) than the top model.

We don't use the kit lens from either company, though they are a good value and I have read they are solid in good light. Let me know if you have any questions about lens or Panasonic cameras.

I was afraid you were going to say that you had the Olympus. I'd LOVE to have that one, but it's about $600 over my budget. I really need a viewfinder due to some sight issues. It's hard to find one on a compact camera. I have my trusty Nikon D40 DSLR, but I was looking for something a little smaller. I had another nice Nikon P&S, but I sold it because I just could not deal with no viewfinder.

I love the color saturation you got on those photos - I just wish it wasn't so expensive!!!

hi meltingmoments. I'd go with the gorgeous creature winking at you. ;) Papa's Kitchen is in a nice spot, you have views of the water on the side (we ate late so it was completely dark so no view pictures) and it's quiet so you hear yourself think unlike the chaos in MDR when it is busy. There are a lot of options and the portions are huge, too large i think. We had half sized portions of the pasta but they were still twice too big.

Hi fireflies, thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. I'm soaking up everything I can about the ship before we leave......unlike my DH I like to know all I can.....he prefers to be surprised! :)

I hope to take some great photos too, but my camera skills are nowhere near as good as yours......but they WILL be my memories! :)

I am going online to find that camera as soon as I finish typing this. Your pictures are outstanding.. You have really captured the feel of the area you are in, (if that is possible). You have a natural talent..

Amazing job and thanks for the review!!:)

fireflies, you do know NCL's Latitudes photo contest is going on until May 31 don't you? In my book, you're already the winner LOL :D

The 16th Annual Latitudes Rewards Cruise Like A Norwegian Photo Contest is back and better than ever! Share your best photo from any 2012 or 2013 cruise and show us how you Cruise Like A Norwegian. We'll give you a chance to win a free 7-Day cruise to The Caribbean. The top 10 finalists will have their photos posted on our Facebook page to be voted on by the entire Norwegian community and a panel of judges. So point, shoot and submit your photo to LatitudesPhotoContest.com and take your best shot at winning!

hey, I've pre-written this set so I'll try to power through them.

We were lucky to have a chance to join a great tour for Jerusalem. Just a little background info for perspective, I am not religious (my avatar is a church from an architect I like) and before this tour knew embarrassingly little about Catholicism, Christianity, Judaism or any world religion. History pervades everything in Jerusalem and you get an incredible sense of passion from Israelis and visitors.

We started driving south of Haifa through the countryside passing by Caesarea, Netanya, Tel Aviv then east to Jerusalem. In order to get to Jerusalem, we had to drive pass the West bank which had a check point stop, nothing tense, just a simple check.

600.JPG

After about two hours, we finally arrived in Jerusalem….and Mount of Olives. An overview stop, offering a classic view of Jerusalem, with landmarks including the Dome of the Rock.

602.jpg

604.JPG

In the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus prayed the night before he was arrested, the day before his death. Ancient olive trees growing in the garden, these are around 900 years old.

606.jpg

Inside the Basilica of the Agony (Church of All Nations). One of the three domes in the church, this one is on the right aisle.

610.jpg

Work being done to restore a floor mosaic.

608.jpg

Time to get a closer look in old Jerusalem.

612.jpg

Inside the Davidson Center for our Judaism 101 course and introduction to the Western wall complex. This is the southern side view of the Herodian Temple Mount.

614.jpg

The Western wall of the complex was not discovered until 1967, and excavation work continues at the site.

616.jpg

Narrow passageways which made one way traffic difficult to maneuver.

618.jpg

Women praying in the tunnels. This is where where Jewish women can be physically closest to the Holy of Holies, so they face in that direction and pray at the wall.

620.jpg

622.JPG

After the tunnel tour, we had a few moments to soak in the atmosphere above the tunnel, at the Wailing wall section. The wall is divided by gender. The women's side was noticeably busier.

624.jpg

626.jpg

628.jpg

Ladies praying and slipping paper containing written prayers into the crevices of the Wall.

630.jpg

We came across these school boys who wanted to do the "Gangnam style" dance for us.

632.jpg

634.JPG

For lunch we had a falafel and a shawarma, both were filling and tasty.

644.JPG

Local baked goods

646.JPG

More street carbs.

P0000930.JPG

This dessert tray was too good to resist, called Malabi. It's a milk pudding made with vanilla and rosewater, this had coconuts and chopped nuts as well.

648.jpg

Our last stop of the day was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

650.jpg

Just inside the entrance is The Stone of Anointing, also known as The Stone of Unction, where Jesus's body was prepared for burial by Joseph of Arimathea.

652.jpg

654.jpg

Exiting the church through the tall wooden doors.

658.jpg

Then we made the long drive back to the Jade. Our ship glowing in the Haifa port. In this picture, we were above the railway station using the free wifi.

660.JPG

662.JPG

The 2 days in Israel were packed and the historic sites were a lot to absorb. I hadn't originally planned on posting a review for the cruise but with the conflict in Israel thought it would be good to show a side of the country that some people might not have seen before. It is a real threat but I hope anyone wanting to see Israel isn't completely deterred.

fireflies, you do know NCL's Latitudes photo contest is going on until May 31 don't you? In my book, you're already the winner LOL :D

The 16th Annual Latitudes Rewards Cruise Like A Norwegian Photo Contest is back and better than ever! Share your best photo from any 2012 or 2013 cruise and show us how you Cruise Like A Norwegian. We'll give you a chance to win a free 7-Day cruise to The Caribbean. The top 10 finalists will have their photos posted on our Facebook page to be voted on by the entire Norwegian community and a panel of judges. So point, shoot and submit your photo to LatitudesPhotoContest.com and take your best shot at winning!

thanxs SeaHunt :) I read the rules and unfortunately we are not eligible since the contest is only open for residents of the United States. It would be nice if someone on the boards won the cruise.

I have looked through many reviews and photos on this website and can honestly say that I have never seen any photographs as good as yours, they are truly amazing, atmospheric and inspirational. I am joining the Jade with my family in August for the Med cruise and after looking at your wonderful photos, cannot wait! My daughter looks longingly at the chocolate buffet photos and I have already put on several pounds just thinking about it! Thank you for sharing them with us - wonderful.

Archived