Euros after we dock

Anneinmanhattan

I prefer to get euros in Europe. Is there a way to get euros when we dock in Southampton? And if not easily available, can I use dollars at St. Pancras to buy lunch? Also, does anyone know if there are easily accessible ATM machines once I'm at the Gard de Nord? I'll need a taxi to get to my apartment. Thanks for any information on this.

There are 2 bureau de change at St Pancras station where you can get Euros and £s. You won't be ale to buy lunch using dollars.

How are you getting to St Pancras from Southampton? The nearest ATM is probably at the DeVere Grand Harbour hotel which is closeto the cruise Terminals. Or there is one at Southampton railway station.

Hope that helps.

annieinmanhattan - the link that Salacia kindly referred to is really about getting £sterling and as you really want Euros, unless you go to a bank or bureau de change in the UK you won't be able to get euros, and certainly not from the ATMs in Southampton. I would avoid changing dollars into £s and then into euros if you don't need to as you will get stung for 2 lots of exchange fees. As far as lunch goes, I am pretty sure that some of the food retailers will take euros at St Pancras.

I prefer to get euros in Europe. Is there a way to get euros when we dock in Southampton? And if not easily available, can I use dollars at St. Pancras to buy lunch? Also, does anyone know if there are easily accessible ATM machines once I'm at the Gard de Nord? I'll need a taxi to get to my apartment. Thanks for any information on this.

I recommend to buy a small amount of foreign cash on the ship, just to be on the safe side. There are a few ATM in and close to the harbor (High St.) distributing Sterling only as UK is not within the EURO.

Almost anything in UK and France may be paid by CC. In and around Gare du Nord are about a hundred of ATM. Don't use the ones inside the station and make shure to use one of the large banks - preferabely inside the bank office.

Enjoy your trip!

Anneinmanhatten to answer your question, you can purchase Euros from most banks in Southampton and from the foreign exchange window on the second floor of Marks and Spencer in West Quay shopping center. You can also buy them at the British Post office on the second floor of the WH Smiths bookstore on the pedestrianized mall.

However, as pointed out by Mysticmother, it is not cost effective to buy any foreign currency in a country where that currency is not legal tender. You will have to convert your currency to Pounds and then the Pounds to Euros . That is not an economical idea. It would be better to wait until you get to a country that uses Euros.

You may exchange dollars for euros on the ship but the exchange rate is steep. British Pounds are available on the ship or can be received from the many ATMs around Southampton.

Larger NYC banks probably have both pounds and euros.

I'm sure they do. Larger branches here in the 'burbs have pounds and euros, as do American Express offices (not that there are many of those left). I suggest getting a small amount in pounds as well as some euros in NYC. If you have an account at Bank of America, they do not charge fees to change currency that they have on hand.

None of the Soton options would be easy. Nothing is a quick run across the street from the cruise piers. And, as Mysticalmother said, getting Euros in England would mean dollars to pounds to euros, so that's twice the fees and twice the bad exchange rates.

I always change currency before leaving on a trip so that I've got something to start with. Exchange rates are never favorable, so I just write it off as part of the cost of travel.

Archived