Poor Manners being Discussed on Another Forum....

sail7seas

I guess I've got a bigger mouth. For the person pushing me, I would have turned around and in a slightly louder voice than necessary (not yelling) would have said something like this "Excuse me. Would you please stop touching and pushing me." Loud enough for them and a few others in line to hear. I would also have held my ground. I don't believe in rewarding children for bad behavior and the same goes for adults.

For the bus - no question - I would have not only said something to the line cutters but would have tried to block them. Fortunately for me I have a big husband and my adult kids and spouses always try to protect me so if the line cutters wanted to hurt me after my comments I come with help. As long as the old people are trying to keep up I'll help them get from point A to B. Now, if they were the line cutters then probably not.

I always laugh to myself when I’m on my scooter – stopped – and people not looking where they are going walk into me and give me a dirty look because I was in their way. The best are the ones that are looking backwards while walking. At Disneyland one time a couple of small children ran in front of me at least three times. I said something under my breath like "really!" and the mother turned to me and said "do you really think you need to scold small children?" My response - "do you really think you shouldn't teach your small children manners and how to respect other people?". Its not like I could jump out of their way on the scooter.

Rude is rude and never acceptable.

At the Captains Circle cocktail party on a Princess cruise, I had just gotten my elderly mother seated when a server approached with his tray of drinks. As he was about to enter our aisle, the gentleman (sic) sitting behind us leapt up and slid into our row blocking out the server and relieving him of every drink on his tray save one glass each of red and white wine. As I watched him go back to his table I saw that he and his wife already had a half-dozen empties each in front of them! You could see the anger in the waiter's eyes as he offered us the two glasses of wine--unfortunately he became even more angry when my mom asked if he could return with one of the cocktails we were entitled to choose from.

I must say that I applaud everyone's carefully measured responses to situations like these. Had the above offense occured while I was alone I probably would have gone off on the jerk and his wife. One time in the express line at the supermarket the cashier told a man with too many items he must go to a regular lane. When he didn't move I got right in his face and bellowed What makes you so special that the rules don't apply to you? He mumbled "nothing" and skulked away. I know taking this approach onboard a cruise would get me in big trouble--especially if I inserted a certain seven-letter adverb I am prone to using into the conversation :o

I have read all of these with interest and people's responses to rude behaviour. I wish there was a 'like' button for some of the responses. I have to say (after working many years in the tourism industry), that it doesn't matter if its 5 star accommodation, or bush camping, young people or the oldies, and it doesn't matter if they are millionaires or "commoners", nor which country they come from, unfortunately we will always encounter rude persons. The main trick is not to let it ruin your holiday. People watching is a great pass time - it amazes me all the time what you see.

Why do nice folks change when it comes to getting seats on the tour buses?

Push and shove past one to get their preferred seats? To try to save my place in a line up I have had to put my elbows in the outward position otherwise would have been the last person on the bus.?

The last couple of cruises I have been given a special note to arrive before the rush I suppose due to age and Osteoporosis (Brittle Bones). Talk about the dirty looks when one is passed at the front of the bus on ones special reserved seat.

While on board ship these same folks are ,as stated above are really nice folks.

Archived