Order of the Ditch?

Buddy604

To the OP, I see that you referred to the Panama Canal as the "Ditch". FYI, on my Panama Canal cruise, there was a large group on board wearing T-shirts with a saying that included the "Ditch" on the front. Let me tell you....the people in Panama were extremely insulted and that went over like a lead balloon. We know what you mean on these boards, but apparently, they were very sensitive over this.:)

Must depend on which ship you are on,we have done 3 full transit on the Sun and Dawn (twice) and received a certificate each time :)

I think it depends on the Cruise Director. Some like to have these and some do not.

To the OP, I see that you referred to the Panama Canal as the "Ditch". FYI, on my Panama Canal cruise, there was a large group on board wearing T-shirts with a saying that included the "Ditch" on the front. Let me tell you....the people in Panama were extremely insulted and that went over like a lead balloon. We know what you mean on these boards, but apparently, they were very sensitive over this.:)

I'll bear that in mind. "Order of the Ditch" is actually a Navy term, like Shellback for crossing the Equator, Bluenose for the Arctic Circle, Rednose for the Antarctic circle, Order of the Rock for the straights of Gibraltar, etc. Most line crossing and/or naval milestones have such certificates.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's hit or miss so I'll bring along a few blank Navy ones just in case and ask the Captain to sign one for my traveling buddy if possible. The Navy ones are quite nice.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365311399.180392.jpg.3c9a7cf685333e2be1b2cae1a39a6f26.jpg

We just got off the Coral Princess (3/17/13-3/27/13) and did a partial transit thru the Panama Canal. We did a Princess tour going completely thru the canal on a smaller boat. We did receive a certificate that had the date we sailed thru the canal.

image.jpg.822f52aab94e816677c152c30ef9329a.jpg

We got one when we were on the Coral last year.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean

Upcoming Cruises

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

Royal Princess – 2014 Caribbean

We did the full transit from FLL to LA.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean

Upcoming Cruises

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

Royal Princess – 2014 Caribbean

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's hit or miss so I'll bring along a few blank Navy ones just in case and ask the Captain to sign one for my traveling buddy if possible. The Navy ones are quite nice.[ATTACH]267188[/ATTACH]
That's a nice looking certificate. The one we got on the Coral Princess looked exactly like the one that IECalCruiser posted. Looks more like a diploma, but it was still nice to get it. Hopefully your sailing will get one as well.

The one's I've received from Princess in the past were ivory letter sized and had the Princess teal border - not unlike a diploma but printed vertically. We can't remember if we got these on the Coral two years ago or not. I think we did. I think they give them whether it's a partial or a full. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they're forgotten about, not unlike the Captain's Circle "Passport stickers" you're supposed to get for each destination. I don't think we've gotten these for our last few cruises. If that helps hold down prices, great.

Archived