Packing cubes heys or ebags?

Ok, I'm a bit confused. How exactly do these bags work? How do you get so much stuff in the bags and have it stay such a small size? Does the air get squished out? I'm having trouble visualizing how you get so many clothes in this little bag. Are they like the space bags?

I have two on the 10 x 14 inch packing cubes and also use the 2 gallon and also the large ziploc bags.

That said I saw the Ebags slim 3 for around $15 and was going to order them but they are only 5 inches made ( slim:)). I don't think that will work for shirts and pants would it??

If your looking for something for shirts and slacks I would go with a packing Folder. The folder board folds them up nicely, you then lay them in the folder. You then close the folder snug so they don't move around at all.

As I mentioned before we put our slacks on the bottom of the suitcase and hang them when we get in the cabin.

I have two on the 10 x 14 inch packing cubes and also use the 2 gallon and also the large ziploc bags.

That said I saw the Ebags slim 3 for around $15 and was going to order them but they are only 5 inches made ( slim:)). I don't think that will work for shirts and pants would it??

You are correct.....for our slims....one will fit 7 pairs of hubbie underwears rolled up. Or 5 bras for me. Or if I'm cross packing....I put a few socks/bras/undies in each of my three slims and toss one each in our three suitcases for cross packing. We each have a set of slims so that is what we use for that size. I suppose a slim would also be a good size for charging cords to keep them altogether.

I've used the XXL baggies too.

The packing cubes are washable (do not put in dryer). However, I prefer to put all our dirty laundry in a big space bag.

If your looking for something for shirts and slacks I would go with a packing Folder. The folder board folds them up nicely, you then lay them in the folder. You then close the folder snug so they don't move around at all.

As I mentioned before we put our slacks on the bottom of the suitcase and hang them when we get in the cabin.

Now I'm going to want the packing folders too. :-)

Ok, I'm a bit confused. How exactly do these bags work? How do you get so much stuff in the bags and have it stay such a small size? Does the air get squished out? I'm having trouble visualizing how you get so many clothes in this little bag. Are they like the space bags?

I posted a picture of them in post #18. They just keep stuff more organized and hence less wrinkly. Air does not get squished out. No they are not like space bags. I just use them mostly for shirts and shorts. It stops stuff from shifting about as well as they are all contained.

I posted a picture of them in post #18. They just keep stuff more organized and hence less wrinkly. Air does not get squished out. No they are not like space bags. I just use them mostly for shirts and shorts. It stops stuff from shifting about as well as they are all contained.

Thanks. I think I'll get some to try.

My DH has an 18 and I have a 15. It is surprising how many t shirts and blouses I can get in mine. DH has packed 6 shirt in his that I know of. He doesn't use his for t's

Do you like the Eagle Creek or Travelon ones? Wonder if there's much difference, other than the price.

I was looking on the Heys website...I really like the look of their "Jet Pack" collapsible shelf thingy. You hang it to pack it, and then put the whole thing in your suitcase. When you get to your destination, you open it and hang it...everything is already on a shelf!

I'm going to London & Paris this summer, and I'm already stressed about how to pack and not be overweight!:eek:

When I use my EBag Packing Cubes, I roll my slacks up in them and have put 5 in the larger one then can put smaller things in the front or all around. I used to use the large glad storage bags for the undies etc but the packing cubes are so much nicer. Will probably order the 2nd set this week.

Do you like the Eagle Creek or Travelon ones? Wonder if there's much difference, other than the price.

I haven't tried the others. If you go into the Cruise Fashion and Beauty link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

and do a search on Eagle Creek, or cubes, or folders there is a ton of stuff about packing cubes and folders. That is where I caught on to all this.

There's a lot of good advice about packing and suitcases themselves for those looking to buy.

I also bought my packing folders at Eagle Creek (In fact, I do believe there is still a review of them that I did a few years ago). I have the 18 inch and three of the 15 inch. I use the 15 inch in my carry-on. I could probably pack for a 7 day cruise right out of my carry-on with the folders. Jan

I recently went on a trip with my two kids and used the packing cubes. It was a five day trip and all of our clothes fit into one suitcase using the ebags cubes. I used one large and one small for my clothes. My 6 year old son had all of his clothes in three of the smalls and my 4year old daughter had all of hers in two smalls. We still had extra room for random things thrown in on top of all seven cubes!

The reason the clothes stay more wrinkle free:

Clothes wrinkle as they rub against one another in the suitcase - friction etc. When you roll or bundle them (which is the folder method) you cut way down on the friction and therefore less wrinkling. So basically if you can cut down on the movement of clothing inside the suitcase, you should see less wrinkling.

I just purchased the ebag cubes. I saw the folder and gave a little chuckle. Last year I tried packing my suitcase using the "bundle" method - which is the exact method you use in the folders. Only thing I did not like about it - you basically had to unpack everything just to get at what you wanted inside the bundle.

IMO the cubes will be best for things you will put inside the drawers - the folder would be more for things you will need to hang as soon as you get there.

Might buy one of the folders once I see how much room the cubes take up.

Isn't design wonderful!

I bought some cheap non branded cubes on eBay last year for our winter cruise and I'm totally addicted! I haven't seen them in luggage shops in the UK so may put a quality set on my packing list next time in the US.

We usually stop for a few days in Washington or New York prior to a Caribbean cruise and they were brilliant for packing for a mixed climate trip. I was able to unpack in seconds and could easily identify the right bundles for each destination.

No seen folders but mostly take a regular suitcase and suit carrier with all hanging things in.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I am looking on ebags at the spectre packing folders. Which size is best? the 15" or 18"?

We just bought 2 sets of the 3 pack of packing cubes. But thought a folder might be best for the dress clothes.

Any recommendations on sizing? The reason I am looking at the spectre series is they are lighter.

THanks,

I just purchased the ebag cubes. I saw the folder and gave a little chuckle. Last year I tried packing my suitcase using the "bundle" method - which is the exact method you use in the folders. Only thing I did not like about it - you basically had to unpack everything just to get at what you wanted inside the bundle.

I guess I don't understand the bundle method. When I use the folders each item of clothing is separate using the insert to fold - when I open the folder each item is folded separately. I can hang up what I want and the rest can go into drawers without unfolding the individual item. Jan

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the advantage of these cubes? I pack almost all my clothing on wire hangers, with the exception of underwear, so unpacking takes fewer than 5 minutes. When I leave the ship, I leave the hangers behind.

What is the benefit of the cubes?

TIA

I used 1 set of E Bags for our 15 day TA last cruise and was able to roll all my slacks in the larger one, blouses etc in the medium size and the undies etc in the small one. I plan to buy a nother set for our long Australia trip next year. I could still place smaller items in each and they really helped me organize my packing. The smaller one went in my carry on.

Do you put formal wear/shirts, etc. with hangars on the top of the bags or do you pack everything in the cubes?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the advantage of these cubes? I pack almost all my clothing on wire hangers, with the exception of underwear, so unpacking takes fewer than 5 minutes. When I leave the ship, I leave the hangers behind.

What is the benefit of the cubes?

TIA

Well, for me, I'm a compulsive organizer....and I cross pack in all three of our 25 inch suitcases...so having my husbands, my son's, and my things in color coded cubes helps me find things.....I grab my raspberry colored ones. Husband uses gray. Son uses the denim blue ones.

So far I've only used them for socks/undies/bras, but I ordered some medium ones in all three colors so I'm thinking I'll use those for swimwear, and pajamas, and maybe work out clothes. Or whatever we want.

Some say the items take up less room in the cubes. I guess I'll find out when I start using the medium ones. It's hard for me to tell if our slim ones save room since prior to them I just tucked socks in whatever space I could find in the suitcase. You can roll them pretty tight in the cubes and makes things like that easier to grab. Hope that makes sense.

The reason the clothes stay more wrinkle free:

Clothes wrinkle as they rub against one another in the suitcase - friction etc. When you roll or bundle them (which is the folder method) you cut way down on the friction and therefore less wrinkling. So basically if you can cut down on the movement of clothing inside the suitcase, you should see less wrinkling.

IMO the cubes will be best for things you will put inside the drawers - the folder would be more for things you will need to hang as soon as you get there.

Might buy one of the folders once I see how much room the cubes take up.

Isn't design wonderful!

You are thinking of something else. I believe it is on YouTube how to pack a carryon using the bundle method. Packing folders do not use the bundle method at all.

I guess I don't understand the bundle method. When I use the folders each item of clothing is separate using the insert to fold - when I open the folder each item is folded separately. I can hang up what I want and the rest can go into drawers without unfolding the individual item. Jan

I agree, except for things that could go in drawers I leave in the folder on the shelf.

I have a set of Heys luggage and received a couple of the packing cubes in the set. I really like them. I don't use them really for organizing my packing though. I use the small size for shoes. I use the larger one for my dirty laundry to keep it separated from my clean clothes.

I should probably consider getting some more of them before I go out my TA cruise next April. I'd never really thought about using them to organize my packing, but now I can definitely see the advantage of doing so.

I LOVE my eBags cubes. DH uses the Eagle Creek folder, too. I think he can pack every shirt he owns plus the cat in that thing!

Someone asked about the slim cubes and I can tell you that they are probably my favorite. I use one for flat iron/curling iron, etc. One houses medicines, bank aids, playing cards, nail stuff, etc. The last one holds all the chargers required for phones, eReaders, iPads, etc. Obviously you can combine these items or whatever you need but I can tell you that the slim ones are wonderful.

I'm going to Cuba next month and staying for just over two weeks. We are restricted to 44 lbs each and will have to cart our own bags around at times; I've really got to figure that one out. Packing cubes to the rescue!

Archived