Alaska Mosquitos

Leaving on June 22 on the Mariner and have heard the mosquitos in Alaska are awful this year. Should we use repellent before leaving the ship and how bad are they on various excursions. Worried about the Rainforest Walk in Ketchikan and the Glacier Lake Kayak trip. Also have booked a flyfishing trip out to a river?? Wonder about changing some of these plans. Help.

Mosquitos the size of Chihuahuas. But,rally, there are a lot of them but it depends on where you are. We saw none on the ship. Prior to the ship,we were hit by a swarm of them in Talkeetna. I think they are more prevelant inland. I know Anchorage sprays for them at night so they don't bother you during the day. We had three kinds of bug repellant and never used any on board or th excurions. Don't wear perfume,after shave,etc.

We did the rainforest walk in 2001 and never saw them. We never saw any anywhere EXCEPT when we went to the Taku Glacier Lodge.

We hiked Mt. Roberts - none - I was on the Whitepass Railroad and spent much time outside taking photos. we walked around all the ports and towns and saw none. We did a boat ride on a Zodiac on a river and, we went to a river and none and walking on Glaciers - none there either.

I had way more mosquito bites on the PG this year than I did in Alaska in 2001!

Having been in Alaska for eleven days last August, I would recommend that you take some bug repellant that has lots of DEET in it. I would even recommend 100% DEET. You can buy it at fishing stores or somewhere like REI. Have fun, expecially on the fly-fishing trip!!

Archived