Leaving the cruise early

mrsnowka

Are we allowed to not finish the cruise? We would like to fly home from one of our port stops so we can spend more time there. Are we allowed to get off the ship and not get back on? We would be cutting the cruise 2 days short (sea day, and 1 more port). Thanks

Are we allowed to not finish the cruise? We would like to fly home from one of our port stops so we can spend more time there. Are we allowed to get off the ship and not get back on? We would be cutting the cruise 2 days short (sea day, and 1 more port). Thanks

I do believe this is possible but arrangements would need to be made through Carnival

As long as the port you are skipping isnt the only foreign port.

For instance a ship leaving from calif, stops at ensenada on the way home?

I have some on my ship who say they are leaving my hawaii cruise to fly home from hawaii and not from calif to australia.

Passport book would be required

Along with prior approval and notification so you can properly clear passport control, Immigrations, and customs of the country you are going to debarkation the ship from.

I do believe this is possible but arrangements would need to be made through Carnival

The Jones Act may apply in this situation.

If a passenger (as listed on a vessel passenger manifest) embarks in a U.S. port and the vessel calls in a nearby foreign port (such as Ensenada, Grand Cayman and Nassau) and then returns to the U.S., the person must disembark in the same U.S. port. A passenger who embarks and disembarks in two different U.S. ports (such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would result in the carrier (not the violator) being fined. The vessel must call in a distant foreign port before the U.S. embarkation and disembarkation ports can differ. The nearest distant foreign ports are in or off the coast of South America. If either the passenger's embarkation port or disembarkation port is in a foreign country, then the provisions of this cabotage law do not apply. Nor do they apply in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I would definitely be checking with Carnival before making or spending money on other arrangements.

DD and I are going to do this on our upcoming Baltic cruise. The last port is Zeebruge, Belgium and the Legend returns to Dover the next day. We're getting off in Zeebruge. I called Carnival to make sure we could do this and they said they noted it on my booking but that I needed to go to Guest Services and make arrangements. They will, apparently arrange for us to go through Customs in Belgium and debark there. So, yes, you can do it but you need to make arrangements with Carnival.

DD and I are going to do this on our upcoming Baltic cruise. The last port is Zeebruge, Belgium and the Legend returns to Dover the next day. We're getting off in Zeebruge. I called Carnival to make sure we could do this and they said they noted it on my booking but that I needed to go to Guest Services and make arrangements. They will, apparently arrange for us to go through Customs in Belgium and debark there. So, yes, you can do it but you need to make arrangements with Carnival.

If you're leaving from a foreign port different rules apply then if you're leaving from an American port.

Leaving from US ports fall under the Passengers Services Act.

So you thought you were free to travel as you like, without hindrance!

This is interesting.

Equally interesting is what travel freedoms you signed away in the fine print (font size 1) :cool:

when you signed the cruise contract.

Yes it can be done. You need to notify the cruise line and it will be arranged for you to meet with Aduana(customs) and Immigration before departing the ship. I did this 7 years ago when using the Holiday to move all my belongings to Cozumel. Be sure to have a passport.

So you thought you were free to travel as you like, without hindrance!

This is interesting.

Equally interesting is what travel freedoms you signed away in the fine print (font size 1) :cool:

when you signed the cruise contract.

It is not just Carnival's contract that restricts your travel but rather U.S. customs and immigration laws along with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Carnival can also be fined for willingly allowing you to break these laws. Believe it or not even in the 'blame Carnival' day and age they are not always at fault.

If you're leaving from a foreign port different rules apply then if you're leaving from an American port.

Leaving from US ports fall under the Passengers Services Act.

Yes, I understand that. That's why I told the OP he or she needs to make arrangements with Carnival. That way he'll find out whether it's possible to do what he wants to do.

Archived