Several Questions - Please bear with me

I've been on one cruise back in 2004, and DH and 8 year old DS have never been on one. We are also going with my cousin, her husband and their 8 year old, and they've never been either.

My 8 year old has Type 1 diabetes, so I have a few questions/concerns I'm hoping someone can help with.

The day we get on the boat, I need to bring his lunch so that he stays on his eating schedule; is that a problem?

Is it possible to get the carb counts on the meals offered in the MDR? We got a medical form and filled it out to be moved to the early dining time, but I need to know the carb counts so I can plan his meals.

We have a full day in Nassau. Is it possible to get off and on the boat as needed or do we have to make a decision to do one or the other? Again, I'm thinking about my DS' schedule and food/snacks.

On our last day, when we are getting off the boat, how do we go about being the first ones off? We are in a suite if that matters, but the boat docks at 7 and we have to get off and get his breakfast in him by 8, so I'm curious if that's even possible?

thanks in advance for any answers. He has only had his diagnosis for 90 days now, so I'm still a little apprehensive about the whole thing. We are sailing in August, if it matters.

I've been on one cruise back in 2004, and DH and 8 year old DS have never been on one. We are also going with my cousin, her husband and their 8 year old, and they've never been either.

My 8 year old has Type 1 diabetes, so I have a few questions/concerns I'm hoping someone can help with.

The day we get on the boat, I need to bring his lunch so that he stays on his eating schedule; is that a problem? Not at all. However, the Windjammer Buffet will be open when you board.

Is it possible to get the carb counts on the meals offered in the MDR? We got a medical form and filled it out to be moved to the early dining time, but I need to know the carb counts so I can plan his meals. Contact the special needs department at RC. special_needs@rccl.com

We have a full day in Nassau. Is it possible to get off and on the boat as needed or do we have to make a decision to do one or the other? Again, I'm thinking about my DS' schedule and food/snacks. Yes, you may come and go as you like.

On our last day, when we are getting off the boat, how do we go about being the first ones off? We are in a suite if that matters, but the boat docks at 7 and we have to get off and get his breakfast in him by 8, so I'm curious if that's even possible? Since you are in a suite, have the concierge get you the tags that you want. Breakfast is served on the last morning in both the Windjammer and the main dining room until 8 or 8:30.

thanks in advance for any answers. He has only had his diagnosis for 90 days now, so I'm still a little apprehensive about the whole thing. We are sailing in August, if it matters.

See my responses in red, above.

:)

The day we get on the boat, I need to bring his lunch so that he stays on his eating schedule; is that a problem? Not at all. However, the Windjammer Buffet will be open when you board.

See my responses in red, above.

:)

SinCity2003

In general I agree with this answer and the others as well. However, sometimes things go wrong. You cannot be 100% sure that boarding will be on the normal schedule, so make sure you carry something for your son to eat if you have to wait.

We have cruised with type 1 many times. My daughter is now 22.

- We brought on some juice boxes and crackers for just in case. Food is so readily available it wasn't necessary.

-Order a sharps container and a fridge (if you prefer) through special needs and follow up with your room steward if you don't see them right away.

-We did not get the carb counts. Bring one of those small carb counting books in your purse. It will help.

My daughter was also diagnosed at 8 and has been pumping since age 9. It will get easier!

Kathy

Agree with the previous post...........it will get a lot easier. My son.....now 21 was diagnosed with type 1 at age 16. You are naturally worried and will stay that way until things start to become routine.

Cruising with a type one is not difficult ...with a little planning. The sharps container and fridge in the room are excellent ideas. I believe food managers on the ship/dinning room can easily get you the carb counts. Carb counting books also are an excellent idea. Routines are important to a newly diagnosed type 1 and am sure you can find most of the foods you are currently serving at home.

My heart goes out to you..........newly diagnosed is a time of worry and uncertainly. It will get better..........hang in there.

You might be surprised how much dietary information is available from your server. I bet that they can provide you with carb count information if you ask for it in advance.

I have a severe allergy to sesame products. One of the first things I have to do it to tell our wait staff about my issue. I have always found them to be very attentive to my issue and many times they will check with the chef if I question how a particular dish is made.

The ship will announce that you are not allowed to take food off the ship at some ports. I have special needs and have found that having commercially wrapped protein bars, fruit bar, etc., is not an issue. You cannot take off fruit or the like but can have boxed/canned fruit juice. Nuts in bags is also another good item to have.

Enjoy your trip!

You might be surprised how much dietary information is available from your server. I bet that they can provide you with carb count information if you ask for it in advance.

I have a severe allergy to sesame products. One of the first things I have to do it to tell our wait staff about my issue. I have always found them to be very attentive to my issue and many times they will check with the chef if I question how a particular dish is made.

Carb Counts are on a complete different level of complexity when compared to allergens.

I used to work in hotel catering and now work for a company that provides food management software to large scale food service operations (thousands of meals per day).

It is easy to find out what recipes contain a specific allergen, most times simply from asking the cook\chef. However, carb counts (or other specific nutrient details, e.g. sugar alcohols) require specific software (or meticulous record keeping, formulas, and calculators).

While I am not saying that RCCL isn't capable or willing, in fact I would happily be wrong (which for me is saying a lot), but I doubt that they can provide nutrition counseling to this level.

Carb Counts are on a complete different level of complexity when compared to allergens.

I used to work in hotel catering and now work for a company that provides food management software to large scale food service operations (thousands of meals per day).

It is easy to find out what recipes contain a specific allergen, most times simply from asking the cook\chef. However, carb counts (or other specific nutrient details, e.g. sugar alcohols) require specific software (or meticulous record keeping, formulas, and calculators).

While I am not saying that RCCL isn't capable or willing, in fact I would happily be wrong (which for me is saying a lot), but I doubt that they can provide nutrition counseling to this level.

I agree they are different things but I would be shocked if the # of carbs associated with different dishes served on board is not available somewhere. Heck, even McDonalds has that information available. :eek:

Make sure to bring at least twice the number of testing supplies than you think you'll need. I found on my cruise because routine was disrupted a bit, I tested a lot more than I did at home to make sure everything was balanced. You definitely don't want to run out of strips.

Hopefully by august your son will be a little more settled in his diabetic routine. He could even be on a pump by then, which provides a much more "natural" way of getting insulin.

Good luck!!

I agree they are different things but I would be shocked if the # of carbs associated with different dishes served on board is not available somewhere. Heck, even McDonalds has that information available. :eek:

Laws are different for "direct to consumer" retail establishments as opposed to dining venues.

Try getting the nutrition info next time you attend a wedding in a catering facility or hotel.

The MDR also has a number of "special" menus (heart healthy, Kosher, etc) and I believe at least one of them contains information on carbs/sugars. Talk to you TA or call RC to request this. On my cruise last month they had at least one sugar free or low carb dessert each night too.

I second the suggestion that you bring lots of extra medication/testing supplies. Not something you want to worry about running low on.

Hopefully your family has a wonderful time!

Hi There. My 12 year old ds also has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed at age 3. We've been on several cruises including that first year. As far as boarding, I would bring something just in case you don't get to board in a timely manner. Food is readily available so we've never had an issue getting him something when needed. We always had juice and snacks in the room just in case of an emergency. Glucose tablets are always good to keep on hand as well, especially when in port. I know that I was worried as well that first time but my son had a blast and loves to cruise. He also participated in adventure ocean with no problem. I was sure to let the staff know about what he needed and made sure that he ate on schedule. It WILL get easier!! Especially when and if he gets on a pump. Then that schedule won't have to be followed so closely. Enjoy your cruise!!! :-)

Laws are different for "direct to consumer" retail establishments as opposed to dining venues.

Try getting the nutrition info next time you attend a wedding in a catering facility or hotel.

For that matter, American laws do not apply on the high seas.

Fortunately, we've been doing this carb counting thing long enough to know what to look for and what to stay away from. I still believe it is possible to get carb counts for various meals from the kitchen.

Thank you everyone! We have two of the carb counter books and we requested the sharps container on the medical form our TA submitted. We were also told our room has a refrigerator in it. His insulin does t have to be refrigerated which is a plus. And yes, I will be bringing double of everything.

I will also contact the special needs department as suggested.

Y'all rock :D

Thank you everyone! We have two of the carb counter books and we requested the sharps container on the medical form our TA submitted. We were also told our room has a refrigerator in it. His insulin does t have to be refrigerated which is a plus. And yes, I will be bringing double of everything.

I will also contact the special needs department as suggested.

Y'all rock :D

One thing to keep in mind is that the cabin refrigerators aren't cold - more like a little cool. It might be worthwhile to keep a small cooler (that your cabin attendant will gladly maintain with ice) for the insulin.

Hi SinCity, and welcome! I think all of the questions you posted have been answered, but as a fellow parent of a type 1, I just wanted to reassure you that it is completely doable. By August, you will feel like an expert!

It sounds like we were operating on about the same time frame you currently are when we took our first cruise with our kiddo…he was dx in the month of December, and we took him on his first cruise the following summer. Here are some things I can remember from that trip:

n We took a ton of juice, snacks, glucose tabs, glucose gel, emergency glucagon kits…if it had the potential to raise blood sugar, and could pack without getting squished or melted, we brought it.

n Prior to leaving, we stocked up on the cold packs that can be snapped/shaken to activate. We used those on our days in port in an insulated bag to keep his insulin cooled. Even in the heat of summer, on a Caribbean beach, this worked just dandy (we had to use a LOT, though). We never had any difficulties transporting food, needles, insulin, or anything else on & off the ship. Nobody batted an eye. I think they are accustomed to special needs like this, and are more worried about people sneaking on liquor! :p

n We contacted guest services prior to arrange for the in room sharps container. We also had to make arrangements to store some of his insulin with the Purser, since it was an older ship and did not have a refrigerator in the room. Now THAT was a pain. You won’t have that problem, though!

n We carried along the most recent edition of the big carb counting bible. Helpful both on the ship and in port.

If I can think of anything else remotely helpful, I’ll be sure to let you know. It gets easier, I promise! :)

I recently organized a group that included an insulin-dependent diabetic. Special needs suggested that although there is a mini fridge in the room, the temp may not stay sufficiently consistent for storing insulin. They suggested we take it to guest services, as they had a proper fridge. This was a different cruise line, but I think the advice will still hold. Take the suggestion from others and call the special needs department. They may have additional advice.

Have a great trip.

On our last day, when we are getting off the boat, how do we go about being the first ones off? We are in a suite if that matters, but the boat docks at 7 and we have to get off and get his breakfast in him by 8, so I'm curious if that's even possible?

Just eat breakfast on the ship before you leave -- Windjammer and MDR will both be open from roughly 6am-9am (give or take a half hour). That way you can debark at your leisure without stressing about finding all your bags and getting a cab (or getting to your car) and getting to a restaurant in under an hour.

My wife is a diabetic and a carb-counter. Very important to keep levels as even as possible and she is now on the pump and the freedom that gives her is huge.

If you have a smart phone, you can use several apps to use for counting carbs, some offer food and exercise logs and other functions you can use to help monitor your child's diet.

However, be sure that the app can work without an internet connection. Some will provide carb counts for restaurants and such, but need an internet connection to do that. We use one called Tap & Track that offers carb counts for basic foods and for many restaurants. But, we haven't cruised with it so not sure about the internet connection.

One thing to allow for is that you're likely to be more active on vacation, running around, swimming, etc. and you may need to adjust the insulin levels accordingly.

Have a great cruise!

OWD

I kept my insulin in the fridge, though most insulin doesn't need to be refrigerated these days - it was just a convenient place to put it so I was sure I wouldn't lose it :lol:

I didn't have a sharps container when I got in - didn't see my room attendant, called guest services and by dinner, there was one. Just in case, if you weren't aware, a plastic soda/water bottle can be a great ghetto sharps container. :D

Also make sure you are comfortable about what to do if he gets sick with a stomach virus. Hopefully that wouldn't happen, but if it does, it's better if you are comfortable with what to do, hopefully avoiding an evacuation :)

Archived