Airport to port?

Yes there are car rental locations for all the major car rental companies in downtown Vancouver close to the pier - Canada Place - whereas the airport is out in Richmond about a 30 - 45 minute drive outside of rush hour.

If you do drop the car at the airport than you can take the Skytrain (Vancouver's Light Rapid Transit System) back in to Canada Place - you will be going from one end of the line (airport) to the other end of the line called Waterfront Station which is beside Canda Place the pier.

From YVR to the Canada Place pier is about a 35 min trip. National has a location at Canada Place and all of the large rental companies have locations in the downtown area and many will shuttle you to the pier, there really is no need to do a drop at YVR.

Disney will dock at Canada Place so you will have about a three block walk from Waterfront station - the end terminal of the Canada Line to the pier.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Using Skytrain..any idea once getting off at Waterfront (I think) how long the walk is or is it a cab?

Guess it can depend on where the ship is docked?

Getting off Skytrain it's a three block walk to Canada Place. There are three choices of how to get to Canada Place getting off the Canada Line from the airport.

1. preferred, take the exit marked "WAY OUT - Granville Street" (there are elevators,escalator or stairs),and it puts you on Granville St @ W.Hastings. Turn left, walk one block up Hastings, turn right and two blocks on Howe. Slightly downhill.
  2. less preferred, follow the tunnel into waterfront station. Exiting the station, turn right, two blocks on Cordova, turn right one block on Howe. Slightly uphill
  3. the 'it's pissing with rain method" (and you need to go up a short staircase). Follow the tunnel into Waterfront station, but instead of exiting the station to your right, turn left and follow the signs to "Skytrain - Expo/Millennium Line", escalator down to platform level, walk the full length of the platform, and pop back up on the far side. Up a short staircase, turn right, up an escalator and you're 1/2 block from Canada Place.

Also, if there are more than a couple of you, or you plan to use transit in Vancouver touring, or or or, you can save some money by buying for a $31.50 book of 10 two-zone [faresaver] tickets at the 7-11 or pharmasave in the airport. Otherwise you're looking at $9/ea for a Skytrain ride from airport to downtown ($4 + a $5 airport surcharge). No surcharge exists on the faresaver packs.

If you have any other questions, let me know as I ride Skytrain to work every day...

Scottbee - thanks for all your helpful advice on the Skytrain. We have taken it twice now and it was a great deal (from port to airport).

Question = we are staying at the Marriott Airport and I think there is a Skytrain station nearby (and I correct)? Also, would the fare be $4 each instead of the $9 you mention?

Thanks

DaveOKC

Scottbee - thanks for all your helpful advice on the Skytrain. We have taken it twice now and it was a great deal (from port to airport).

Question = we are staying at the Marriott Airport and I think there is a Skytrain station nearby (and I correct)? Also, would the fare be $4 each instead of the $9 you mention?

I'm glad Skytrain worked well for you, I think a lot of people are scared of using it. As for the fare, $4 from Richmond Brighouse or Lansdowne station (during the week, $2.75 w/e and evenings). I'd probably walk to Brighouse because as it's the end of the line, you'd be guaranteed a seat.

I'd probably walk to Brighouse because as it's the end of the line, you'd be guaranteed a seat.

Just adding my two cents. Catching the train at Brighouse Station will not guarantee you a seat. Yes, that could be true if you are catching the train after 9:30am but anytime before that, you are travelling during rush hour and the train leaves the station full (SRO).

Just adding my two cents. Catching the train at Brighouse Station will not guarantee you a seat. Yes, that could be true if you are catching the train after 9:30am but anytime before that, you are travelling during rush hour and the train leaves the station full (SRO).

We will be using it on a Sunday morning, likely 9-9:30 am or a bit later, so I assume either station would be OK? Which is closer?

Thanks

Dave

We will be using it on a Sunday morning, likely 9-9:30 am or a bit later, so I assume either station would be OK? Which is closer?

Thanks

Dave

On a Sunday, you will not have a problem. I would say the stations are close to equal distance from the hotel. Brighouse is the start of the line so I would just head to that one.

it will be very quiet on a Sunday morning (and cheaper too! Only one zone on weekends, $2.75)

it will be very quiet on a Sunday morning (and cheaper too! Only one zone on weekends, $2.75)

Thanks Scottbee and Tweedy for all the information. I have my Canadian dollars all ready to go for the ticket machines!

One more thing - the station I get off at for Canada Place, what is the name of it? I have gotten on there twice, but never off, so never really paid attention. As you know, it is an easy walk to the pier from there (unless it is raining).

DaveOKC

Thanks Scottbee and Tweedy for all the information. I have my Canadian dollars all ready to go for the ticket machines!

One more thing - the station I get off at for Canada Place, what is the name of it? I have gotten on there twice, but never off, so never really paid attention. As you know, it is an easy walk to the pier from there (unless it is raining).

DaveOKC

"Waterfront" (it's the end of the line)

Archived