Scuba Diving Roatan & Belize

dwmdy

My wife and I are considering the Caribbean Princess cruise from Texas which includes stops in Belize and Roatan. I am a scuba diver and would like to dive both of these locations. I am wondering about the logistics/possibilities of diving. I believe the Belize stop is at Belize City and diving is primarily from Ambergris Caye. Roatan should be easier but would like some info in advance of booking.

If anyone has done it or can provide me some information on possibilities, convenience, cost etc I would appreciate it.

I am also a SCUBA diver and have dived Roatan and Belize several times but not from a cruise. Roatan is a small island and it is easy to dive there since the transportation time would be minimal. They have very good diving off the shore and there are several good dive shops that offer trips along with the Princess dive trips. Either would be good.

Belize is a tender port and it will take 20 minutes or so to tender to the pier at Belize City. The pier is in a secure area that locals are not allowed with shops and restaurants. You would have to get transportation to the Caye and then out to the dive sites. I believe Princess does offer dive trips but check their time line to see how much time you will be in transit. IMO it is not worth it. The best diving is a long way by boat off the Caye. I did it from a liveaboard and it was fantastic including diving the Blue Hole.

Princess does offer Dive Excursions in both Roatan & Belize. A man we were around at a bar enjoyed both through Princess. Thought they were a bit over priced but enjoyed and was worth it for the convenience to him.

We've only taken a snorkel boat to the barrier reef (can do on both). They were totally awesome. The dive must be even more so.

LuLu

~~~~

We booked our own excursion with St. George's Caye Resort which is a diving resort. We took a taxi to their boat, their boat to the caye, then had a room over the water for the day, a private boat out for the dive, and then a wonderful lunch. Cost a little more than the Princess excursion, but it was so worth it! It was just our families (had 6 people total) on the boat. Not sure if they are still offering it, but I just contacted them and asked.

I've been researching these two ports as part of a trip I am taking next week. The only option I've really seen for Belize besides the ship is through Sea Sports Belize. Their website says that the dives leave at 830 and the ship gets in at 800 with a 20 minute tender if you're on the first one. Many ships like to reserve the first tenders for people going on the ship excursions, so that isn't likely. I'm sure many have had no problem with this, but I don't like to risk that to save the $20 difference in price.

Roatan seems to have a lot of choices, although it seems like 3/4 of them are the exact same price. $75 + $20 transportation. Which is pretty close to the same price as the cruise excursion. The only concern I'm having is some quote that price and then have some small print in the bottom about 16% tourist tax, marine park fee, chamber donation, etc.

It's not all about price though. I'll pay more in Cozumel to go with another shop, although it took a couple of bad tries to find one I was happy with.

Thank-you to all who replied. I appreciate the information. Sounds like diving is possible but, as I expected Belize, may be a little challenging. May have to break my usual routine and actually book with the cruise ship!

Both Belize and Roatan are very easy to dive independently. I've dived with Seasports Belize three times and highly recommend them. They know the cruise ship schedules and adapt to them. You have about a 10-minute walk to their shop (and it is safe to go outside the cruise terminal). They bring you back to the dock for the return trip to save time.

In Roatan, I recommend Subway Watersports, Barefoot Divers, and Bananarama. Barefoot is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminal, but it will cost $20 for the taxi. Subway is the same price as Barefoot, but they include the transportation. Bananarama varies, it depends on how many divers are going to their place. Of the three, I enjoyed Subway Watersports the most.

Both Belize and Roatan are very easy to dive independently. I've dived with Seasports Belize three times and highly recommend them. They know the cruise ship schedules and adapt to them. You have about a 10-minute walk to their shop (and it is safe to go outside the cruise terminal). They bring you back to the dock for the return trip to save time.

In Roatan, I recommend Subway Watersports, Barefoot Divers, and Bananarama. Barefoot is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminal, but it will cost $20 for the taxi. Subway is the same price as Barefoot, but they include the transportation. Bananarama varies, it depends on how many divers are going to their place. Of the three, I enjoyed Subway Watersports the most.

I haven't talked to Subway yet. I'll send them an email. What were their boats like? Camera tanks?

• 3 weeks later...

We have done both ports several times. Roatan is a must for us. Easy to book a good op on your own, good price, easy to get to, always great diving. Belize is a "do it at least once" dive imo. The diving was good but expensive, very limited dive ops so we use the ship to book. It's an all day excursion leaving no time for anything else. They pick you up from the ship and return you to the ship.

When we do both ports now, we usually skip Belize.

I have dived at both places. Subway Watersports in Roatan was great. Probably the best dive I have ever been on. Trying to dive on a cruise in Belize is not really worth it. The excursions are expensive and the dive spots they are able to reach are only so so.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife and I are considering the Caribbean Princess cruise from Texas which includes stops in Belize and Roatan. I am a scuba diver and would like to dive both of these locations. I am wondering about the logistics/possibilities of diving. I believe the Belize stop is at Belize City and diving is primarily from Ambergris Caye. Roatan should be easier but would like some info in advance of booking.

If anyone has done it or can provide me some information on possibilities, convenience, cost etc I would appreciate it.

Please Allow a snorkeler to butt in.

You didn't ask about Cozumel. Both diving and snorkeling are excellent at the off shore reefs.

As good, maybe better, than Belize and much easier to access operators without tendering.

• 1 month later...

I dove both but I did book through ship. In Belize on CCL Legend the tender was the dive boat. We were first ones off ship and dive boat picked us up off ship and straight to dive site. We met in one of lounges did all paper work and releases then off to dive.. Easy peasy and both Belize and Roatan was great diving

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Please Allow a snorkeler to butt in.

You didn't ask about Cozumel. Both diving and snorkeling are excellent at the off shore reefs.

As good, maybe better, than Belize and much easier to access operators without tendering.

Hi, I have a question for you - have you snorkeled in Belize? My family (3 adults and two teens) will be in Belize in July on the Carnival Conquest and I'm trying to decide on a snorkel w/beach excursion, either through the ship or independent tour - both have pros and cons. I've read a lot here on CC in the Belize board and reviews on trip advisor.

This is a tough port to pick an excursion if you've never been there because of the long tender times and distance to travel to a Caye or reef. We're there from 8-5 (really only 4pm because that's when we have to be back on ship - so I'll need to allow about 1+ hrs for travel back from a Caye (if for example we travel to Caye Caulker via boat) to port and then the 20 min tender, so now it seems we really need to be done with a tour by 100pm or 130pm and then heading back. And isn't there a difference between ship time and Belize country time? There's so much to figure out - no wonder people just go with a ship tour, lol! - but Carnival doesn't have an excursion to Caye Caulker and that's where I'm thinking we should go! Any input would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I have a question for you - have you snorkeled in Belize? My family (3 adults and two teens) will be in Belize in July on the Carnival Conquest and I'm trying to decide on a snorkel w/beach excursion, either through the ship or independent tour - both have pros and cons. I've read a lot here on CC in the Belize board and reviews on trip advisor.

This is a tough port to pick an excursion if you've never been there because of the long tender times and distance to travel to a Caye or reef. We're there from 8-5 (really only 4pm because that's when we have to be back on ship - so I'll need to allow about 1+ hrs for travel back from a Caye (if for example we travel to Caye Caulker via boat) to port and then the 20 min tender, so now it seems we really need to be done with a tour by 100pm or 130pm and then heading back. And isn't there a difference between ship time and Belize country time? There's so much to figure out - no wonder people just go with a ship tour, lol! - but Carnival doesn't have an excursion to Caye Caulker and that's where I'm thinking we should go! Any input would be appreciated.

Hi ,I am not Steve but couldn't help butting in ,we took a snorkel tour from Caye Caulker with Mario .it is a ferry ride to the island and Mario wasn't there waiting for us like he had said but everyone knew where he was .he is definitely on island time and we were a little nervous since we were on ship time but it was a great tour and we got back in plenty of time. you can also take a tour to ambergris which is a little farther so you may want to book a ship tour for that one. Belize is one of our favorite places. if you decide to see some ruins Lamanai is something to see and the river ride to get there is almost as exciting as seeing the ruins in the jungle.

Hi ,I am not Steve but couldn't help butting in ,we took a snorkel tour from Caye Caulker with Mario .it is a ferry ride to the island and Mario wasn't there waiting for us like he had said but everyone knew where he was .he is definitely on island time and we were a little nervous since we were on ship time but it was a great tour and we got back in plenty of time. you can also take a tour to ambergris which is a little farther so you may want to book a ship tour for that one. Belize is one of our favorite places. if you decide to see some ruins Lamanai is something to see and the river ride to get there is almost as exciting as seeing the ruins in the jungle.

Hi, thanks for your input. We decided to book an independent - Shark Ray Alley & snorkel w/ Caye Caulker explore. I'm going to think positive that it's going to be a great excursion for our family and rate high up there like our summer 2012 "Saona Special" tour in La Romana, Dominican Republic. That excursion started out as a stormy morning, ship excursions were canceled, we decided to still go forward with our independent tour and had a much smaller group because of the ship "bad weather announcements". The rain cleared, we had a few clouds mixed with sun. Snorkeled off a beach in kind of choppy waters but still had fun. Later, at a sand bank, we found and held many large starfish - lots of good memories!

I am a worry wart so I take Belize snorkel trips with the cruise ship to eliminate anxiety about returning on time. The snorkel boat will be crowded, but once on site evreyone spreads out. The snorkeling is excellent.

Your mileage may vary.:p

Hi, thanks for your input. We decided to book an independent - Shark Ray Alley & snorkel w/ Caye Caulker explore. I'm going to think positive that it's going to be a great excursion for our family and rate high up there like our summer 2012 "Saona Special" tour in La Romana, Dominican Republic. That excursion started out as a stormy morning, ship excursions were canceled, we decided to still go forward with our independent tour and had a much smaller group because of the ship "bad weather announcements". The rain cleared, we had a few clouds mixed with sun. Snorkeled off a beach in kind of choppy waters but still had fun. Later, at a sand bank, we found and held many large starfish - lots of good memories!

I don't think you will be disappointed ,we did shark ray alley too and it was pretty exciting as a barracuda waited right beside us for some of the leftovers .we got some great pictures .we don't do the ship tours because we prefer a small group ,there were only 4 of us on the caye caulker one . we try to snorkel in as many ports as possible and belize ,roatan and Cozumel are some of our favorites.Have a great time

I just finished up our bookings in Roatan & Belize... I was torn on what to do in Roatan because I hate ship excursions but I have read pretty good reviews on AKR and their boats look really nice. I still ended up going with Coconut Tree Divers though. I didn't want to be stuck with 30 other people on a dive trip on a ship excursion...

In Belize we are doing the Shark Ray Alley / Hol Chan Marine Reserve by Air with EcoTours. Really looking forward to snorkeling at Hol Chan, unfortunately our trip isn't until September but I will definitely provide a review here on each of the OP's...

Archived