Miami to FLL for 11 a.m. flight?

QTPieRye

We will be on the Liberty out of Miami and are looking into booking our flight into FLL because it's cheaper. Please share your experience of Miami to FLL on the morning of debarkation. Specifically, wondering if an 11:00 a.m. flight is too early.

We have FTTF, not sure that matters upon debarkation.

Thanks in advance :)

We will be on the Liberty out of Miami and are looking into booking our flight into FLL because it's cheaper. Please share your experience of Miami to FLL on the morning of debarkation. Specifically, wondering if an 11:00 a.m. flight is too early.

I'm not saying you definitely couldn't make that flight, but I would not book a flight out of FLL that early, especially in the present uncertain environment of unknowns of sequestration where a shortage of customs agents and airport screening personnel could cause unexpected delays. FLL tends to be a very busy airport with so many ships sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. Personally, I would not book a flight that early when transferring from POM to FLL.

It is doable if everything lines up for you. I have been at FLL when debarking in Miami around 8:45am. If there are unforeseen delays with docking or higway closures/construction , then obviously, you could miss your flight.

You can't forget that if US Customs holds the ship debarkation can start late. They can also be told to check each and every passenger, which would hold up debarkation by several hours.

A flight before 1pm out of FLL on a Saturday is always a gamble...remember, one of the Monsters of the Seas docks on Saturday and if 1/4 of the ship is leaving through FLL you'd have around 1700 passengers at the airport waiting/checking in/or going through security at the various terminals with you and the other two, three, four, or five other FLL port ships....

It can be done. We had an 11:10 flight after our recent Liberty cruise and made it in plenty of time. We did self assist with the platinum / diamond and were the first off the ship. At FLL airport by 9:30

However that was before all the govt cutbacks. It may take longer to clear customs with fewer customs officials.

Not sure how you're getting to FLL, but we take Carnival's transportation option (bus to-from FLL, so easy). In the FAQs for that, it says the recommended earliest flight time is 11am. I personally think you'll be okay! We always book our flights at the earliest "recommended" time, no matter what cruise line, and always end up waiting in the airport :)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I was just on the Liberty in February and had a 2pm flight. We used Carnival's transportation to FLL and we arrived there by 10am. You should have plenty of time to get off the ship, gather your things and get a move on. You also have the option of the self assist which will get you off the boat quicker.

I would however keep the government budget cuts in mind as they could delay your debarkation out of the terminal and I'm sure the TSA will have less agents screening passengers.

My advice would be to book private transportation and get off the ship at first call. You should be outside by 9am at the latest and that's plenty of time to get through any security delays.

I wouldn't book a flight earlier than 1:00 PM. There are too many things that could go wrong, any of which could cause you to miss your 11:00 flight. I would be stressed to the max if I had that early a flight. That's not a good way to end a relaxing cruise vacation.

on the Liberty last week...debarkation was held up a bit. You would be able to get off earlier since you have an early flight out but in our case it was running about an hour behind what the schedule said.

We flew out of FLL yesterday and it took us a little over 30 minutes to get thru security and that was noonish on Monday.

Not sure how you're getting to FLL, but we take Carnival's transportation option (bus to-from FLL, so easy). In the FAQs for that, it says the recommended earliest flight time is 11am. I personally think you'll be okay! We always book our flights at the earliest "recommended" time, no matter what cruise line, and always end up waiting in the airport :)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

On CCL's website they recommend nothing earlier than 11:30 from MIA or 12 noon if departing from FLL.

What are the flight guidelines for the latest airport arrivals and earliest return flights?

Latest Flight Arrival:

Arrivals into the Miami International Airport: 2:30pm

Arrivals into the Ft. Lauderdale Airport: 2:00pm

Earliest Flight Departures:

Earliest departures out of the Miami International Airport: 11:30am

Earliest departures out of the Ft. Lauderdale Airport: 12:00pm

Bill

BAD IDEA. fly in the night before.

It can be done - but why put such pressure on yourself at the end of your vacation? You never know if a medical emergency will delay the ship, or customs does an inspection, etc. Add up the cost of taking a car service/car/taxi to FLL from Miami, and the price difference in flying directly into MIA might be worth it.

This past January, our ship docked in the port of Miami but we had a return flight home booked out of Ft. Lauderdale airport (because we were able to get a direct, cheap flight). The flight departed at 10:55am so we knew we would need to debark as soon as possible. The information provided to us stated the earliest debark of self-assist would begin at 7:00am once the ship was cleared by customs so we were ready to leave our cabin by 6:30am. Our plan worked out great; as soon as they opened the line we were literally the first self-assist guests to exit the ship. First in our customs line, and before we knew it we were off the ship at approximately 7:15am. As soon as we exited the terminal we were approached by someone coordinating independent shuttles to the airports. Once we had a group together to go to Ft. Lauderdale (10 per van) we headed out – it only cost us $20 per person for the shuttle. Approximately 30-40 minutes later we arrived at the airport. There were reasonable lines to check into our flight/check bags and then the security lines. We were settled in seats near our gates & I was buying us coffee & donuts at Dunkin well before 8:30am. We had plenty of time to spare. A little prudent planning and you’re able to take the earlier flights (even though people all over the message boards advise against it time & time again).

You can "probably" make it, but as everyone else has posted, there are many things that influence that probably (ship arriving on time, customs, fellow passengers, traffic, lines at the airport). Port Everglades ship passengers will beat you there of course, and on weekend, I've run into very long lines not only for security, but also to check bags with the airline. That's the first hurdle actually ... assuming you are checking bags, there will be a time limit they have to be accepted by.

We just returned from our cruise on the Breeze out of Miami and flew out of FLL. We did self assist, got off the ship by 7:20am, got a taxi to the Budget rent-a-car in Miami that opened at 8am and had a car by 8:30am. We could have made it to FLL easily by 9:30am. I say this because we were meeting friends before we went to FLL but an 11:30am flight out of FLL is very doable.

If the cruise was debarking in FLL I would book the 11am flight.

But you are coming from Miami.

I would not book an 11am flight-- just in case purposes.

We are hearing about more and more sailings have cut backs with the people at the docks for immigrations and customs./

would be mighty expensive if you missed that flight.

You will have to do self assist-- carry off all your stuff. Do not wait for carnival buses but go on your own- car service or taxi (85.0ne way)

and allow at least 45 minutes..and hopefully nothing is going on at either port.

(make sure the money you are saving is accounting for the costs to get you there

(we sailed during a major marathon-- what a mess that was

We just returned from our cruise on the Breeze out of Miami and flew out of FLL. We did self assist, got off the ship by 7:20am, got a taxi to the Budget rent-a-car in Miami that opened at 8am and had a car by 8:30am. We could have made it to FLL easily by 9:30am. I say this because we were meeting friends before we went to FLL but an 11:30am flight out of FLL is very doable.

To clarify my own post we had ALL CARRY ON so it made it much faster to get through the various checkpoints as stated by another poster.

Archived