Carnival Ecstasy or Norwegian Sky? Opinions please!

ShanteS

OK I need some opinions on this. I've been really wanting to try other cruiselines, RCL and NCL in particular. My family and I normally do a week long cruise in August but I'm looking at taking a short 3 day cruise over Easter weekend next April.

I'm trying to decide between sailing the Norwegian Sky in an inside or the Carnival Ecstasy in a balcony. I;ve never been on either ship so I have no idea which one to book with but I do want to try another line.

Will I enjoy a 3 day cruise just as much as I'd enjoy a 7 day cruise? I have no idea how 3 day cruises are because I've only ever done 7 days but I've seen them referred to as "booze cruises". If a 3 day means I'll be stuck on a ship with a bunch of sloppily drunk adult children I think I'll pass. I'm a late 20 something woman who loves to have a good time and can close any club down but I don't want to have to deal with obnoxious drunk people. Also, if I bring my daughter will there be other children on the cruise as well or are the 3 day cruises more for adults? Camp Carnival on 3 day cruises?

Any and all tips and opinions are greatly appreciated! TIA for any help.

I have been on the Sky, but not the Ecstacy. The Sky was a 4 night cruise and we had a great time. Though I will say that the inside cabins on the sky are very small. But we managed with Two adults, plus I traveled with medical equipment since I did Dialysis.

As far as party crowd, well I have never done a 3 day cruise but I do notice a little difference in the demographic of people between 4 day cruises and 7 days. Yes people tend to get drunk and stupid, but I cant recall seeing anything that I would call alarming. The only questionable moments I witnessed was later at night, but did see security step in. Families cruise on shorter cruises all the time so I doubt your child would be alone.

If i were to choose though I would go for a balcony cabin on the Ecstacy vs the inside on the Sky. At least with a balcony, if you feel things are a little too wild you can take a break and still enjoy the sea from the privacy of your own room.

I did a 4-day cruise on the Ecstasy last May in an inside room. This was my 2nd cruise on the Ecstasy and I enjoyed both cruises very much.

I have done a lot of 4-day cruises (Bahamas, Cozumel) but they have generally been mid-week. I have never experienced any problems with drunken crowds on these cruises, but the friends who I traveled with on a 4-day cruise to Cozumel had a drunken couple next door to their cabin who woke them at all hours of the night (and early day) with their shenanigans trying to get into their cabin.

I think a 3-day cruise over the Easter weekend is going to be a combination of boozers and families. There will surely be a ton of kids on board (Spring Break) but also a lot of party-ers.

I don't think you will enjoy a 3-day cruise as much as a 7-day cruise--the Bahamas aren't that interesting--but if the price is right, then you might want to give it a try. It is only 3 days after all.

I've been on both and I will say that there is a lesser chance of the "booze cruise" happening with NCL. Mainly because NCL is more expensive, but you could also add that Carnival is the "Fun Ship." If you're going during Spring Break you might have the drunkards on either ship and either line.

I've cruised on Carnival 3 times in the last 2 years and noticed a real demographic difference. NCL cruisers were older - karaoke cut off early (even when there was a crowd). And there wasn't the wild bunch that will tend to be associated with Carnival. (again - consider pricing)

Now, it's been a while since I've been on the Ecstasy, but it gives GREAT reviews with compared to their sister ships in the Fantasy class. If your daughter is young (under 5) Ecstasy is the only ship in that class with a mini water slide for younger children. I cannot compare this to NCL as it's been a while since I went on the Sky.

I'm 34 (a young 34) and will be choosing Carnival for a while. Sky seems a bit more classy than Carnival, and you may find the decor on Carnival to be outdated but I found Carnival to be much more fun. We are taking our 3yo daughter on Carnival Imagination next month - so, we aren't too worried or we would have gone another line.

Summary: Go with Carnival. I've heard their camp carnival program is great if you want some time by yourself. (We'll be testing this soon). I've experienced the Fun 2.0 upgrade and enjoyed it. Carnival has something going on into the wee hours. And if you want that privacy - you'll have a balcony.

Downside - you're gonna feel like you're leaving before you left because a 3 day cruise or 4 day cruise is going to seem short to you I'm afraid.

We've been on 3 and 5 day cruises only. We're booked for a 7 day cruise next month, and I know it's going to be hard for me to go back to the short jaunts after being spoiled a full week!

I've cruised Carnival for all but one of our cruises. On that one, we cruised on the Sky and hated it. We only went to the private island. The food was horrible (stale buns with cold hotdogs and hamburgers for most meals on teh buffets) Not impressed with the MDR either. We seemed to see more drunk partying on the Sky than we had on Carnival (and we cruised Carnival during Spring Break also). The service on Sky was subpar, yet Carnival has always seemed to be spot on.

We took the Sky to "taste" a more expensive cruiseline, and all it did was convince us to cruise Carnival.

Although we made it fun and would always jump back on that ship if the price was right.

We haven't been on Ecstasy yet (although we're booked for her in September).

We've cruised: Elaton, Sensation, & Inspiration.

Booked for May on Dream, and September on Ecstasy.

Enjoy!

I have been on the Sky, but not the Ecstacy. The Sky was a 4 night cruise and we had a great time. Though I will say that the inside cabins on the sky are very small. But we managed with Two adults, plus I traveled with medical equipment since I did Dialysis.

As far as party crowd, well I have never done a 3 day cruise but I do notice a little difference in the demographic of people between 4 day cruises and 7 days. Yes people tend to get drunk and stupid, but I cant recall seeing anything that I would call alarming. The only questionable moments I witnessed was later at night, but did see security step in. Families cruise on shorter cruises all the time so I doubt your child would be alone.

If i were to choose though I would go for a balcony cabin on the Ecstacy vs the inside on the Sky. At least with a balcony, if you feel things are a little too wild you can take a break and still enjoy the sea from the privacy of your own room.

OK, thanks for responding. How was the entertainment on the Sky? Did they have live bands (calypso/caribbean etc)? Shows? Bingo? Is there an elegant night on a 3 day? How was the club? Good music or was it dead at night?

We did a 4 day cruise this past August. We didn't notice anymore drunk people than anywhere else we have been , lol.

Which ship was it? Was it with Carnival?

I did a 4-day cruise on the Ecstasy last May in an inside room. This was my 2nd cruise on the Ecstasy and I enjoyed both cruises very much.

I have done a lot of 4-day cruises (Bahamas, Cozumel) but they have generally been mid-week. I have never experienced any problems with drunken crowds on these cruises, but the friends who I traveled with on a 4-day cruise to Cozumel had a drunken couple next door to their cabin who woke them at all hours of the night (and early day) with their shenanigans trying to get into their cabin.

I think a 3-day cruise over the Easter weekend is going to be a combination of boozers and families. There will surely be a ton of kids on board (Spring Break) but also a lot of party-ers.

I don't think you will enjoy a 3-day cruise as much as a 7-day cruise--the Bahamas aren't that interesting--but if the price is right, then you might want to give it a try. It is only 3 days after all.

Yes, when I chose the date I didn't take Spring Break into consideration. But I don't think it'll be that big of a problem. I can normally laugh at people's drunken antics as long as they aren't too out of control.

I've been just about everywhere in the Caribbean except the Bahamas, Jamaica, Aruba, and DR so I'm trying to make my way to each of those islands. I've heard good things about Atlantis. Is that in any of the ports Carnival frequently stops at?

I've done a couple of 5 day cruise, always feel like I get thrown of the ship way to soon. :p

Yes, I'm afraid it'll feel like I'll be getting off as soon as I get on. LOL Even the 7 days are too short for me. LOL

This is still one of my favorite Ecstasy reviews. Enjoy!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=570&linkid=11488

Thank you! That had to be one of the funniest reviews I've ever had the pleasure of reading. They were all a really funny, witty group. I feel really bad about their experience though because service that horrible hasn't been my experience at all. It seems like Carnival just does the bare minimum with the older ships and all of the resources are put into the newer ones. :( I have to admit though, I absolutely HATE the neon lighting decor on that ship. It does remind me of the movie Tron! LOL

I've been on both and I will say that there is a lesser chance of the "booze cruise" happening with NCL. Mainly because NCL is more expensive, but you could also add that Carnival is the "Fun Ship." If you're going during Spring Break you might have the drunkards on either ship and either line.

I've cruised on Carnival 3 times in the last 2 years and noticed a real demographic difference. NCL cruisers were older - karaoke cut off early (even when there was a crowd). And there wasn't the wild bunch that will tend to be associated with Carnival. (again - consider pricing)

Now, it's been a while since I've been on the Ecstasy, but it gives GREAT reviews with compared to their sister ships in the Fantasy class. If your daughter is young (under 5) Ecstasy is the only ship in that class with a mini water slide for younger children. I cannot compare this to NCL as it's been a while since I went on the Sky.

I'm 34 (a young 34) and will be choosing Carnival for a while. Sky seems a bit more classy than Carnival, and you may find the decor on Carnival to be outdated but I found Carnival to be much more fun. We are taking our 3yo daughter on Carnival Imagination next month - so, we aren't too worried or we would have gone another line.

Summary: Go with Carnival. I've heard their camp carnival program is great if you want some time by yourself. (We'll be testing this soon). I've experienced the Fun 2.0 upgrade and enjoyed it. Carnival has something going on into the wee hours. And if you want that privacy - you'll have a balcony.

Downside - you're gonna feel like you're leaving before you left because a 3 day cruise or 4 day cruise is going to seem short to you I'm afraid.

I know it'll feel like it's over in 5 minutes but I'll have another 7 or 8 day cruise planned for August of next year so this one will be a short weekend getaway to hold me over. After seeing the TP review though it has my second guessing the Ecstasy. :/ I did see that they had a smaller water slide which might be fun if my daughter would be willing to try it. She'll be two by that time next year. How was the entertainment on the Sky though? How was the club? Do they have a piano bar? If I decided to go with the Sky I'd have to leave my daughter home because their kids camp starts at age 3 so Carnival might get my business if I decide not to leave her home with the grandparents.

We've been on 3 and 5 day cruises only. We're booked for a 7 day cruise next month, and I know it's going to be hard for me to go back to the short jaunts after being spoiled a full week!

I've cruised Carnival for all but one of our cruises. On that one, we cruised on the Sky and hated it. We only went to the private island. The food was horrible (stale buns with cold hotdogs and hamburgers for most meals on teh buffets) Not impressed with the MDR either. We seemed to see more drunk partying on the Sky than we had on Carnival (and we cruised Carnival during Spring Break also). The service on Sky was subpar, yet Carnival has always seemed to be spot on.

We took the Sky to "taste" a more expensive cruiseline, and all it did was convince us to cruise Carnival.

Although we made it fun and would always jump back on that ship if the price was right.

We haven't been on Ecstasy yet (although we're booked for her in September).

We've cruised: Elaton, Sensation, & Inspiration.

Booked for May on Dream, and September on Ecstasy.

Enjoy!

Thank you for replying. And yes after sailing on a 7 day cruise anything less than that will be too short for you. How was the entertainment on the Sky in your opinion? And I'm sorry you didn't have a great cruise experience. Maybe these cruiselines aren't as attentive to the short cruises as they are to the longer ones.

Thank you for replying. And yes after sailing on a 7 day cruise anything less than that will be too short for you. How was the entertainment on the Sky in your opinion? And I'm sorry you didn't have a great cruise experience. Maybe these cruiselines aren't as attentive to the short cruises as they are to the longer ones.

I did like the dance shows, and I'm all about the bingo and trivias. There was a piano bar, but we never managed to get there while they were playing :(

There was a game (and I can't remember the name. Late night and it was kind of a Lets Make a Deal type..you were in temas and racing to the front with items or actions. Some were pretty raunchy, but we laughed so hard. Gotta go with an open mind, but be forewarned.

You'll have fun

OK I need some opinions on this. I've been really wanting to try other cruiselines, RCL and NCL in particular. My family and I normally do a week long cruise in August but I'm looking at taking a short 3 day cruise over Easter weekend next April.

I'm trying to decide between sailing the Norwegian Sky in an inside or the Carnival Ecstasy in a balcony. I;ve never been on either ship so I have no idea which one to book with but I do want to try another line.

Will I enjoy a 3 day cruise just as much as I'd enjoy a 7 day cruise? I have no idea how 3 day cruises are because I've only ever done 7 days but I've seen them referred to as "booze cruises". If a 3 day means I'll be stuck on a ship with a bunch of sloppily drunk adult children I think I'll pass. I'm a late 20 something woman who loves to have a good time and can close any club down but I don't want to have to deal with obnoxious drunk people. Also, if I bring my daughter will there be other children on the cruise as well or are the 3 day cruises more for adults? Camp Carnival on 3 day cruises?

Any and all tips and opinions are greatly appreciated! TIA for any help.

Norwegian's cabins tend to be TINY if that is important to you. Overall, Carnival has some of the largest cabins out there.

• 1 month later...

Can someone contrast the entertainment on Sky vs. Ecstasy?

(I don't mean bars nor nightclubs... I'm interested in the NON-alcohol-related entertainment.)

Which ship offers the better shows?

Which ship offers better food?

Can someone contrast the entertainment on Sky vs. Ecstasy?

(I don't mean bars nor nightclubs... I'm interested in the NON-alcohol-related entertainment.)

Which ship offers the better shows?

Which ship offers better food?

Again cant compare the Ecstacy... But the sky did offer entertainment similar to other Carnival ships. The Sky did not have a large production show every night, but on those nights there were alternatives (like comedians, guest driven shows etc). No live bands on the Lido deck but there was a DJ, however there were some live performances in other areas. There was also a sports lounge that was pretty popular that did serve things like wings. The steakhouse was very good and was quiet on the 4 day, though staff said its busier on the 3days for some reason. The upcharge for the steakhouse was only $25.

Overall there are more similarities than differences in an NCL cruise vs Carnival. Food quality is a matter of personal preference.

• 1 month later...

Archived