Travel Insurance...Is it Too Late?

aimish

Does anyone know of any companies that allow you to add insurance AFTER the paid-in-full date. My cruise is 86 days away and I so I have already paid-in-full. My MIL has terminal cancer and in the beginning of January, hospice said she had two-weeks left to live. Here we are four months later and she has not declined much and they are now saying they have no clue how long she has left. When we booked the cruise it was still when we thought there was no way she was going to hold on till July. Now, we're not so sure. It just dawned on me that I didn't get trip insurance. Any chance that I can still get it? Obviously, we do not want to board a ship if she is hanging on but nearing the end or if she passes right before we're set to leave for the cruise.

It really isn't to late.

Search for Pre-Existing Condition insurance and you will find some. It will cost a good amount more than regular insurance though, especially at a later date than buying it when you booked the cruise.

I would also suggest NOT buying anything directly online! Call which ever companies you are considering and talk to them directly. That way you can explain exactly what you need. Some pre-existing condition clauses only cover those traveling and not family members. I have even hear of some only covering those directly related to a person not traveling and no one else (like your husband would be covered, but you wouldn't).

Just make sure you read all the fine print carefully and you should be able to find something that will work, even at a premium cost!

Insure my trip . Com. Is great, you can compare multiple policies in a side by side comparison.

True, and their operators have extensive experience, so they can offer exceptional guidance. Check out the website, but make your purchase by phone so they can help you get the best coverage at the best possible price.

I highly recommend them.

You can probably get insurance, but it is probably too late to get pre-existing condition coverage. (Those that offer pre-existing waivers more than about 21 days from the initial payment or right around the final payment date are usually very expensive.) I'm guessing that this situation would be treated as a pre-existing condition since your MIL is already being treated for terminal cancer. Read the information about pre-existing conditions very carefully, it can be difficult to understand, and many things people don't think about are actually covered in this language.

You can probably get insurance, but it is probably too late to get pre-existing condition coverage. (Those that offer pre-existing waivers more than about 21 days from the initial payment or right around the final payment date are usually very expensive.) I'm guessing that this situation would be treated as a pre-existing condition since your MIL is already being treated for terminal cancer. Read the information about pre-existing conditions very carefully, it can be difficult to understand, and many things people don't think about are actually covered in this language.

Since my MIL has been sick for several years, I have been getting travel insurance for every trip (until this one) and I have read the policies before. They are completely insane! I'm an attorney who is used to reading legalese and I had to call for clarification because the policy I got with my Disney cruise seemed to exclude my MIL's condition. When I called Disney because the trip was planned for around the time Hospice thought my MIL would pass, I was informed that the insurance would cover all travelers if we cancelled BEFORE the cruise but no one if we cancelled/left early once aboard. If you get insurance though, Disney lets you use the money towards a new cruise (if you don't board the ship) even if insurance won't pay. Does anyone know if NCL does the same?

I had a similar experience with my last Disney Cruise and called the insurance company and they said the pre-existing condition thing only applied to passengers. If the sick person was a family member who wasn't a passenger and you canceled before the cruise date, they'd reimburse you. Also if the passenger did not have a preexisting condition and then had to leave during the cruise, they'd cover the prorated cruise balance.

Insure my trip . Com. Is great, you can compare multiple policies in a side by side comparison.

Thanks for the great advice! I called them and am getting a policy that will cover us if my MIL should die, whether from a pre-existing condition or not.

Thanks for the great advice! I called them and am getting a policy that will cover us if my MIL should die, whether from a pre-existing condition or not.

That is great news. So glad you've gotten what you needed, and now you can relax. Very sorry that you're going through this, and hope that you will be able to sail as scheduled, and have a relaxing and wonderful cruise.

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. Never easy when someone is so ill.

Insuremytrip.com is a good company. Glad to hear they were able to help you.

One less thing off your mind. I have always been happy with insuremytrip.com. You and yours have my deepest sympathy, it is not an easy situation (as you well know).

You can buy insurance up until the day you leave, but the closer to the date the more expensive it gets. Also watch for pre existing condition clauses.

dont the pre existing conditions clauses refer only to the traveler? How can they relate to a relative of the traveler? Not every parent tells their adult kids aof their health issues.

Just askin...not tryin to be snarky...I would actually like to know others thoughts on this.

btw..the MIL of a cousin was given a "death sentence":rolleyes: in 2004 and the family took several vacations and had several celebrations in anticipation of her death..

well here we are 2013...and she is alive and kicking and looks great IMHO.

and she has survived some terrible situations with her adult children as well in the ensuing years since her doctors told her to get things in order:rolleyes:

Good to hear! Glad it worked out for you.

I always try to get a policy that covers pre-existing conditions because I just don't want to worry about what might be excluded later.

I am really sorry about your MIL & am glad someone TOLD you that you would be covered. However, something that you were TOLD doesn't matter & isn't binding. You have to READ the policy & make sure you are covered. Hopefully you won't need it but be safe rather than sorry.

wrong..the MIL is not the pax so her condition does not matter. pre existing only refers to the pax.

I knew that but posted earlier to get a conversation going about just the sort of mis info that you posted.

dont the pre existing conditions clauses refer only to the traveler? How can they relate to a relative of the traveler? Not every parent tells their adult kids aof their health issues.

Just askin...not tryin to be snarky...I would actually like to know others thoughts on this.

btw..the MIL of a cousin was given a "death sentence":rolleyes: in 2004 and the family took several vacations and had several celebrations in anticipation of her death..

well here we are 2013...and she is alive and kicking and looks great IMHO.

and she has survived some terrible situations with her adult children as well in the ensuing years since her doctors told her to get things in order:rolleyes:

Pre-existing condition clause is not just for those traveling.

Archived