Spring Break on the Independence: Max's Mom's Diary

Jane, as always your pictures and review are amazing!!! Thanks for taking the time to share your story. Loved the picture of the Indi & the Reflection side by side. The Indi looked huge compared to the Reflection. We are cruising on the Eclipse this summer. :):)

Wow I am loving reading your review, we sail on the Independence of the seas in July and it is also our very first cruise ever! we are cruising the Eastern Med for 14 nights and cant wait for Rome! we have already decided to do a caribbean cruise next and reading your review has made us very excited :)

Becky

I'm getting a kick out of your review. We were on Indy on the March 16th sailing - the previous 8 day sailing to yours. We loved the Freedom class ship, which was our first time on this class. Our only issue was that this ship was set up for European cruisers, so from what I understand, the shops are not set up the same as other Freedom class ships. We did like the ship, though.

We saw that Jeff Arpin was the cruise director during your cruise on another thread, and wondered what happened to Casey from Canada, who was our cruise director. He replaced Jeff Eaton (sp?), who was well liked, but he's off contract right now. Ironically, Jeff Arpin was our cruise director on Monarch of the Seas in 1996, along with Capt Remo as our captain! Jeff was a great cruise director "back in the day," but I can see how someone would think he's past his prime!

Thanks for sharing your memories!

Casey Peltier is on Serenade until July 30

Jeff Arpin was our CD on Explorer about 11 years ago, and he was outstanding. Sad to read that he's lost his touch.

Joff Eaton is on break now, but will be returning to Indy on May 26

Edited by DonnaK

Jane,

Thank you for another of your terrific cruise reviews. We have six more weeks till Allure, this is helping us get through. :)

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I love your reviews! Will look forward to seeing what you guys are up to on the Allure!

I'm getting a kick out of your review. We were on Indy on the March 16th sailing - the previous 8 day sailing to yours. We loved the Freedom class ship, which was our first time on this class. Our only issue was that this ship was set up for European cruisers, so from what I understand, the shops are not set up the same as other Freedom class ships. We did like the ship, though.

We saw that Jeff Arpin was the cruise director during your cruise on another thread, and wondered what happened to Casey from Canada, who was our cruise director. He replaced Jeff Eaton (sp?), who was well liked, but he's off contract right now. Ironically, Jeff Arpin was our cruise director on Monarch of the Seas in 1996, along with Capt Remo as our captain! Jeff was a great cruise director "back in the day," but I can see how someone would think he's past his prime!

That's wild that you had Jeff and Capt. Remo on the Monarch! From what I could understand....Jeff came in to pinch hit at the last minute. You can tell that he was once a good CD, but like you said.....definitely past his prime now. If you had never been on a cruise before, you would probably not have even noticed it.

Wow I am loving reading your review, we sail on the Independence of the seas in July and it is also our very first cruise ever! we are cruising the Eastern Med for 14 nights and cant wait for Rome! we have already decided to do a caribbean cruise next and reading your review has made us very excited :)

Becky

Wow! Your first cruise....how exciting! Those Med itineraries look great. We did that last summer. Be prepared for some heat!!! While you are on board....you might as well book your next cruise in the Caribbean!

Max'smom...what a great review! Looks like you all really get a lot out of your cruises and try everything!

I'm wondering if you have ever tried, or will ever try, one of the Celebrity ships?

LOL!! When we first started cruising.....we literally went to every single activity listed in the Compass! We would run from one to the other. Now we do just as little as possible! But we definitely get a lot out of our cruises even if a good bit of it is spent napping!!

Also to drarill...We cruised on the Celebrity Eclipse Thanksgiving before last. What a nice ship!! Probably the nicest ship we've ever been on. Yes....Celebrity is wonderful.....but there's not as much to do on their ships.....but that suited us just fine. I have a review of that trip somewhere. Go to the Celebrity board and search either under my name or type Diary as a key word. Whatever you do.....book Aqua Class.....absolutely amazing!

OK.....back to the review: Labadee.....continued.

So we get off the ship just as soon as they give the all clear. It was about 10:10. We walked directly over to Barefoot Beach.....not far at all. Actually we had forgotten how close it was and we got on the tram to get there. We looked pretty stupid when we asked to get off because we had only ridden a VERY short distance!

Barefoot Beach is the private beach for Suite Guests, but Raj gave us a card to get in here. We did not have a cabana but the beach boy put a couple of chairs under a tree for us. It was a great place to spend the day.

IndependenceoftheSeas_0245_zpsb161bfc8.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0243_zpsa0ca0367.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0244_zps09b85711.jpg

We had a great spot and really enjoyed ourselves today!

IndependenceoftheSeas_0248_zpsebdea82a.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0251_zps204aa72c.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0250_zpse25b60dd.jpg

Edited by max'smom

The Captain's wife and her party came out and sat right in front of us. Then the Captain came and had lunch with them.

This was such a quiet spot. We read, slept, people watched and really enjoyed this day. It was nice and hot! And the water felt great. A word of warning here......the beach right at the shore and the bottom everywhere was VERY rocky. We have very sensitive feet and had a hard time with that. We will definitely bring our water shoes next time. We looked like two ninety year olds getting in and out of the water!

IndependenceoftheSeas_0246_zps17e1f98d.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0259_zpsfbdd54f2.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0260_zpsc88c5ca5.jpg

Raj came out to check on us!

IndependenceoftheSeas_0256_zps3fb8e297.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0255b_zps5e9779a2.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0257z_zps66708338.jpg

Hi Jane. Don't know if you remember me but we cruised together on the Brilliance in 2007. Cheryl UK? I have just returned from a back to back on the Freedom and just love the Freedom class ship. My daughter Leah and I have just booked for a 2 day trip on the Independence from Southampton to Le Havre in France on 2 May. It will be the first trip after her stop in dry dock. Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Hope you are both well. You certainly look it!!

Lunch was very nice here. Hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, ribs, beef. I hardly ever eat a hamburger, but I had one today. It was heaven. The bread was so fresh. I also had a sugar free pineapple cake that was also very fresh and moist. There were nice tables where you could eat or you could take it back to your chair.....that's what we did.

IndependenceoftheSeas_0257k_zpse1da5440.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0265d_zps2c810281.jpg

After lunch, we enjoyed the water.

IndependenceoftheSeas_0261g_zps833c2a4c.jpg

[size=3IndependenceoftheSeas_0261d_zps18d6ba81.jpg][/size]

IndependenceoftheSeas_0261k_zps7971b888.jpg

Edited by max'smom

Hi Jane. Don't know if you remember me but we cruised together on the Brilliance in 2007. Cheryl UK? I have just returned from a back to back on the Freedom and just love the Freedom class ship. My daughter Leah and I have just booked for a 2 day trip on the Independence from Southampton to Le Havre in France on 2 May. It will be the first trip after her stop in dry dock. Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Hope you are both well. You certainly look it!!

Cheryl!!! Of course I remember you! I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you were doing. You know....I was hesitant about cruising on the Freedom Class ships, but I really like them. Will not hesitate to book on another one.....especially the Independence! I will be anxious to hear how things are after the dry dock. Let me know!

Hey Carol! We live in Burlington....not too far from Sanford. Right now I teach ESL and have been doing that for 11 years. When I was in the classroom' date=' I taught all grades in elementary school, but mostly first and second grade. Forty years has been just a little too long and I am ready to leave! 38 more days![/size']

Have read through most of your review, well done!

My DD is moving to Wake County NC June 1st in hopes of finding a Social Studies Teaching job. She has a friend there who teaches. She tried to find work in western NY after she graduated from college 5 years ago but no jobs were available so she went to Kingman AZ and taught for 3 years and wants to come back east. She has no job yet but plans to apply all over the Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro area and hopes to land a job, seems like that area is growing. She is a great teacher but work seems hard to find for Social Studies Middle School/HS Teachers. Anyways good luck in your retirement, I am sure after 40 years of teaching you deserved it.

Mike

I was very disappointed with the shops. The last time we were on Indy was before they converted them and they still had the Logo shop. This was our first cruise where I bought nothing related to cruising or RCI. I didn't even have the chance to use my C&A Logo shopping coupon. It seems that they devoted tons of space to selling tobacco, alcohol, and perfume. Oh, and I don't want to forget those cannisters of "clotted biscuits".....:rolleyes:

You were fortunate to be the only ship at Labadee. We also lucked out. Explorer was supposed to be there with us but, unfortunately for them, weather slowed them down and they never made it. I think the place would have been way too crowded with Indy and Explorer there together. RCI should really re-think this. They market the place as a relaxing, tranquil, place. Wall to wall people is not what I imagine when I read RCI's description.

Have read through most of your review, well done!

My DD is moving to Wake County NC June 1st in hopes of finding a Social Studies Teaching job. She has a friend there who teaches. She tried to find work in western NY after she graduated from college 5 years ago but no jobs were available so she went to Kingman AZ and taught for 3 years and wants to come back east. She has no job yet but plans to apply all over the Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro area and hopes to land a job, seems like that area is growing. She is a great teacher but work seems hard to find for Social Studies Middle School/HS Teachers. Anyways good luck in your retirement, I am sure after 40 years of teaching you deserved it.

Mike

Hey Mike! I wouldn't think your daughter would have any problems getting a job here. Tell her to check in Alamance County as well. That's where I am. It's a good county. Although here and Greensboro would be quite a long drive from Wake County. She will love it here, though. Good luck and thanks for your good wishes!

Really enjoying your Labadee pics...it's one of my favorite places. Last year we were there on Navigator and had Cabana W4 on Barefoot, so your very first pic brought back memories! I agree about the water, my mom and dad were disappointed in the rockiness of the water there.

We hope to get a cabana on our next trip there. We just have to have shade, though, and some of the cabanas get pretty much full sun.

You were fortunate to be the only ship at Labadee. We also lucked out. Explorer was supposed to be there with us but, unfortunately for them, weather slowed them down and they never made it. I think the place would have been way too crowded with Indy and Explorer there together. RCI should really re-think this. They market the place as a relaxing, tranquil, place. Wall to wall people is not what I imagine when I read RCI's description.

Well....that shows you how observant I am!! I didn't even notice anything about the shops!

Totally agree about two ships in Labadee. That's ridiculous! I hate crowded beaches!

We hope to get a cabana on our next trip there. We just have to have shade' date=' though, and some of the cabanas get pretty much full sun.[/size']

You should try one, but ask for W3 or W4, I think those two are the best, IMO (if you want over the water). You can get shade in both of those for sure, utilizing the large couch inside the cabana. I loved it b/c we were able to stay in Labadee longer, instead of baking in the sun all day. There are two loungers that would be in the direct sun, but like I said-you can have shade all day inside the cabana. You'd love it.

We hope to get a cabana on our next trip there. We just have to have shade' date=' though, and some of the cabanas get pretty much full sun.[/size']

Hi Jane,

I am loving your review. I went back and read some of your previous ones as well this morning. You tell a great story!

We had a cabana twice on Barefoot Beach, once in May and once in September. They were stiffling hot and not much shade in the early afternoon or wind since they are in a cove. (Maybe we went on really hot days.) We sat out under the trees both times. I would get one if I did a winter cruise, though.

Was the CL crowded? It looked like in your pictures there was hardly anyone in the background.

Mari

We saw lots of outings on the jet skis. They would all gather together in one spot and then take off.

IndependenceoftheSeas_0265e_zps8e337601.jpg

Of course the zip line looked like great fun. Would love to do that some time!

IndependenceoftheSeas_0265u_zpsa7f62b53.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0265x_zpse66204a5.jpg

I thought it was neat that the ship's photographer got right out in the water to take pictures. In the old days they dressed like a Chippindale dancer and posed with you and a bottle of champagne!

IndependenceoftheSeas_0263_zps94489006.jpg

IndependenceoftheSeas_0265_zpsae46809e.jpg

We went back to the ship around 3:00. What a great beach day!

IndependenceoftheSeas_0266_zps525ac54a.jpg

Hi Jane,

I am loving your review. I went back and read some of your previous ones as well this morning. You tell a great story!

We had a cabana twice on Barefoot Beach, once in May and once in September. They were stiffling hot and not much shade in the early afternoon or wind since they are in a cove. (Maybe we went on really hot days.) We sat out under the trees both times. I would get one if I did a winter cruise, though.

Was the CL crowded? It looked like in your pictures there was hardly anyone in the background.

Mari

Yes...that's what I am afraid of in the cabanas. I don't want to sit IN the cabana. I would rather have a chair in the shade right near the cabana. We will be getting one with other couples in December, so maybe that will be possible.

The CL was not crowded at all. I think it may have been earlier in the evening when the first seating people were there. But when we were there at 7 onward....it was hardly ever crowded. The Diamond Lounge was pretty packed, I think, but we liked to be in the CL because Raj was there.

I am impressed that you went back and read more of my stories! Thanks!

Edited by max'smom