Train from Dover to Canterbury

The train info from Dover shows prices to Canterbury East and West. West is more expensive. Which would I want to go to the town?

East is the closest to Canterbury Cathedral (about a half mile from station to Cathedral).

East station is southwest of the city center & West is northwest of the city center. Both stations are within a half mile of each other.

Where in Canterbury are you wanting to visit?

You can use both stations. Actually it would make sense to.

Being at opposite ends of the town means that the path between the two is a sensible one to explore. It would take you from the city walls at the top of the town (east) where there is a newly developed retail area down towards the river and the older buildings via the Cathedral. The West Gate itself (near west station) is worth a look.

The return journey from Canterbury West is a slightly slower one with a change at Ramsgate (about 40 mins I think) but no different time wise than walking all the way back up town then taking the train from Canterbury East. Check with ticket office but I am sure that a return ticket should be good for both journeys as they are both Javelin trains I think.

Canterbury East is just 16 minutes from Dover on a fast train (quarter to the hour).

To-day i have booked this train ride for 4 persons for only 15.80 pounds !!! It was from www.southeasternrailways.co.uk and off-peak day rate. Going after 9am and coming back after 12 noon. What a bargain. Now I will visit the Canterbury Cathedral this time for sure. Our ship will arrive in Dover on May 9th this year. Good luck, Cary:)

Archived