Live from Volendam

emsachs

Hello from the Volendam!!!!

Everyone was so nice on this board I thought I'd take a few minutes to post from the ship.

This is only our second cruise ever, and our first in about 4 years

We arrived in Vancouver a day early and booked our hotel (not air) through HAL!!

We stayed at the Fairmont, a nice hotel directly across the street from Canada Place. The best part was that they had a HAL desk in the lobby of the hotel and we were able to check in for our cruise THE DAY BEFORE our cruise. Thye checked our Passport, cruise ticket, id, etc.... We picked up our key/ship ID card in the hotel the next morning. In addition, we just left our tagged checked luggage in our room and the next time we saw it was in our cabin on the ship.

The pre check in did not enable us to miss the immigration and security lines, but we were given a round orange sticker that we had to wear which enabled us to completely bypass the HAL check in before you board.

We were then treated to a bus tour of Vancouver, and then driven to the pier

This was a great idea and we will definitely do a cruise booked hotel again.

The ship is in great shape and everyone is exrtremely friendly.

Our Verandah suite ondeck 6 is alot larger than our simmilar cabin type on the Dawn Princess. My wife hated the cabin on Dawn, and I help my breath until a saw a smile on her face after seeing our cabin. You know, if MaMa ain't happy, then nobody's happy!! Well, we're happy.

Here are a few other observations so far...

Food is OK, but not great! I would compare it to hotel food, which is somewhat obvious since they are cooking for about 1400 people. I would say that if you have ever been to a wedding or similar event at a hotel, this is what the food is like. All very fresh. My salmon last night was good, and my smoked salmon for breakfast was excellent.

I also think this a notch abouve Princess.

Cruise staff is definitely trying to sell excursions, art, jewelry, drinks..

The soda card is $27.

NO fresh orange juice in the main dining room. I will check the Lido tomorrow.

The Rosario strings are not here, and they have a replacement called the Champagne strings. Had drink here after show (OK) last night. It was almost empty. I think they are now on the Prisendam???

Inside passage you can definitely fell the roll of the ship but nothing to worry about. My mother in law gets sea sick, but hasn't taken anything and is fine.

Weather, wore shorts and sweatshirt on deck at sail away, and I was fine. When sun came out it ws almost hot.

Cooler today....sweatshirt weather.

Formal night tonight....saw a quick glimpse at menu and it included salmon and rac of lamb.

Movies are Hitch and Phantom of the Opera...

That's about it for now.

Bye......

EMSACHS:

Really like the idea of the early check-in and the luggage transfer to the ship.

Did the hotel have a shuttle from the airport?

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the hotel room?

Looking forward to hearing more from the Volendam as we just returned from the Zaandam at the end of May.

Sam

They were on the Amsterdam May 29-June 5. They are excellent and we enjoyed their music during formal night dining, tea in the afternoon and in one of the lounge areas at night. Lots of cruisers there whenever and wherever they were playing:)

They provided background music for us as we opened cards and letters for our anniversary on board. Wasn't it romantic...;) Of course, there were others in the lounge but I'm sure they were playing just for us.

See my review for more information.

Fresh squeezed OJ is usually available only in the Lido at breakfast and in the Neptune Lounge. It always seemed strange to me that it wasn't also available in the main dining room for breakfast.

Fresh squeezed OJ is usually available only in the Lido at breakfast and in the Neptune Lounge. It always seemed strange to me that it wasn't also available in the main dining room for breakfast.

Ted - it used to be available in the dining room but you had to ask for it. Sometimes they would get it for you and other times, they would give you a dirty look and say "it's not available". I am not sure if they had to go to the Lido for it, but if they did, I can understand their reluctance to go all the way up there.

Here's another story from our brief time on the Volendam pre-land portion of the cruisetour (May 25-28). I love the fresh OJ and the first morning I went to take a glass off the tray by the machine. The guy at the machine yelled at me that I couldn't take it. Now, I don't know if he was going to move the tray elsewhere, but there was only one glass on the tray at the time and someone else had just taken one before me.

The following two mornings I got it off the tray. One of the days there was a worker at the machine, don't know if it was the same person, but I felt like I had to sneak my OJ.

I see your opinion of the food equals mine. Not awful, but far from the best.

As I mentioned before, the whole experience onboard makes me put Volendam dead last among our HAL experiences (only 3, we're newbies compared to a lot of you).

It's amazing how different experiences can be because of one or two individuals. We were on the Volendam in April and I found it to be almost 100 percent perfect.

I'll take your opinion!! The Volendam is my favorite ship. We sailed on her 3 times and our fourth is coming up in Oct. There is always a concern as the ships get older, so I'm happy to hear about your almost 100 percent assessment!

How great of you to post on the Volendam. We just booked a Oct cruise on her yesterday. We have been on Ryndam and Statendam and loved them but you never know with different ships. I'll be interested in everything you have to say. I'm kind of a half full glass person so takes alot to make me really upset on a cruise.

Thanks again for taking time to post

Mary:)

The fresh squeezed juice is in the Lido.

Nanner, I'm so sorry that you didn't have a good time on the Volendam. But I do hope that your land portion was everything you hoped for and more.

WOW!!! This cruise is absolutely fabulous!!!!!

Here's some quick info...........

The weather so far has been spectacular! Sunny and HOT!!! It was 85 in Juneau and 83 in Skagway yesterday!! Shorts would have worked. Our 1st cloudy day is today in Glaciar Bay (that's why this will be short).

Service is good....much like a good midrange hotel. (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott, etc...) A step below 4 Seasons, Ritz. Still very good though and we are happy.

For most of the staff they are very friendly and helpful if you ask for anything.

Ooops, there is my wife on our walkie talkies (which work great for communication if we are split up. Time to go to breakfast.

One last comment before I go... If you can I strong;ly advise the Helicopter/Dogsled tour. It is worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 81 yr old father and in laws (81 also) absolutely loved it!!

Moer later!!!

Enjoying your live posting! We're planning this cruise for next year. Can you tell us if adjoining balconies have a door to open between them? Also, we are looking for inside passage cruising both directions with very little if any open ocean cruising. Is this the cruise for us!?

Bucky, we were on the Volendam two years ago. The doors between the verandas (of the S suite at least) could be opened up. We had the Room Steward open it on the first day, at it stayed open the entire cruise. The Inside Passage is great - there is very little open water cruising and at least in our experience, the ride was very smooth. I would highly recommend it to you. We are doing the inside passage for the third time next month. Cannot wait!

Cruisin' 2

Emsachs,

Thank you so much for your reports! I'll be on the Volendam in August (can't wait) and really appreciate hearing what a great time you're having!

The weather sounds fabulous. I have a friend who is hiking Denali this week. I'm sure she's thrilled. :)

Bonnie

for your reply. Looks like we've chosen the right ship! We're looking at Cat B cabin #6195 starboard. Does this sound like a good spot!? Appreciate your input. We're going in May so I hope Tracy Arm is not too icy to get close to the glaciers. Any experience with this?

My brother and I will be on the Volendam on 9/21 (last Alaskan cruise for the year) and can't wait! I will definitely be looking at the helicopter/dogsled tour you suggested. Can you tell me if "Barnaby" is on this ship? He was a comedian on another HAL cruise that had me in tears...he was exceptional and I heard he was on one of the HAL ships in Alaska now. I'm hoping it's the Volendam. In the meantime, find a bartender there named "Derick" or "Loderick" (one and the same) and he can entertain you with some magic tricks of his own that he does at his bars. He's not as funny as Barnaby but he has some pretty good tricks. Tell him HI for Lisa and Mike if you see him and that we'll be there 9/21! Enjoy Alaska and keep us posted with more tips!

EMSACHS:

Really like the idea of the early check-in and the luggage transfer to the ship.

Did the hotel have a shuttle from the airport?

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the hotel room?

Looking forward to hearing more from the Volendam as we just returned from the Zaandam at the end of May.

Sam

OK. I'm back and I'll try to answer everyone's questions as well as do a review.

The hotel is right across the street from Canada Place (Fairmont).

You really could just walk across the street if you want to.

We booked through HAL. The price was $300 per room. This included all taxes, a Vancouver Bus tour (very good), and they drop you off at the pier when the tour is done (about 2pm).

The best part is that we tag our bags and leave them in our hotel room. The next time we saw them was in our cabin.

We know we could have done it much cheaper, but it was SO convienient that we will probably always book a pre cruise hotel with the cruise company.

How great of you to post on the Volendam. We just booked a Oct cruise on her yesterday. We have been on Ryndam and Statendam and loved them but you never know with different ships. I'll be interested in everything you have to say. I'm kind of a half full glass person so takes alot to make me really upset on a cruise.

Thanks again for taking time to post

Mary:)

You are going to have a sensational time. As you will read in my upcoming cruise review, the ship is great and extremely well laid out. Very easy to get around. It is clean and the staff is very friendly.

If you have specific questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Enjoying your live posting! We're planning this cruise for next year. Can you tell us if adjoining balconies have a door to open between them? Also, we are looking for inside passage cruising both directions with very little if any open ocean cruising. Is this the cruise for us!?

My father and my inlaws had cabins next door to each other. We were across the hall.

The balconies on the Verandah deck 6 do have doors from balcony to balcony, but no one seemed to know how to open them. I finally went to the front desk and we were told that we could NOT open them for safety reasons (although they couldn't tell us why it wouldn't be safe)

The cruise was mostly very calm, however we did have some movement a few nights. I get seasick so I take bonine (1/day) no drowsiness and I was fine. My mother in law also gets seasick, but she took nothing and was fine.

I would say that the inside passage cruise is a great choice. I really couldn't imagine a better cruise.

for your reply. Looks like we've chosen the right ship! We're looking at Cat B cabin #6195 starboard. Does this sound like a good spot!? Appreciate your input. We're going in May so I hope Tracy Arm is not too icy to get close to the glaciers. Any experience with this?

We were midship but we loved the Verandah deck (deck 6). 2 flights up to the Lido, and only one or 2 flights down to lounges, dining rooms. Perfect!!

After being on the Volendam, I absolutely love a mid sized ship, and would hesitate to choose a mega ship again.

Starboard is great.

As far as Tracy Arm goes, we only got to view North and South Sawyer Glaciers from afar because of ice. It is still absolutely gorgeous!! I would highly recommend going to the bow on Tracy Arm day. It was very windy and my wife and inlaws stayed at the aft Lido balcony. It was pretty dramatic up at the bow as each turn you make the scenery just keeps getting better and better. You did not get this aft.

We did get up close to Marjorie Glacier in Glacier Bay which was fantastic (we saw (and heard)some calving).

Archived