Paris to Bordeaux train or plane?

cruise kitty

My DD will be living in Bordeaux for several months next year & she invited me to visit... I'm not about to pass that up :D

I'll be flying LAX to CDG, it's a very long flight that I've done before ( & am doing again in Nov.) so I'll be a bit tired when I arrive.

Does anyone have any experience in taking the train from Paris to Bordeaux? It seems like it would be very scenic, or would you not bother & just fly in from Paris?

I've thought about renting a car...but I'd rather not, as I don't know what the parking situation will be, or if I will stay with her or at a B&B, if her apartment turns out to be tiny, I don't want to crowd her.

Any opinions, experience would be appreciated!

My DD will be living in Bordeaux for several months next year & she invited me to visit... I'm not about to pass that up :D

I'll be flying LAX to CDG, it's a very long flight that I've done before ( & am doing again in Nov.) so I'll be a bit tired when I arrive.

Does anyone have any experience in taking the train from Paris to Bordeaux? It seems like it would be very scenic, or would you not bother & just fly in from Paris?

I've thought about renting a car...but I'd rather not, as I don't know what the parking situation will be, or if I will stay with her or at a B&B, if her apartment turns out to be tiny, I don't want to crowd her.

Any opinions, experience would be appreciated!

I cannot help with the train to Bordeaux as when I flew in the CDG I just flew on to Bordeaux.Had to change terminals,but it was not big deal.Flt. was short and I was glad to land.I have taken the train to other cities in France local and TGV,but just found this easier at the time.I will say that sometimes what would seem to be scenic is not.

I cannot help with the train to Bordeaux as when I flew in the CDG I just flew on to Bordeaux.Had to change terminals,but it was not big deal.Flt. was short and I was glad to land.I have taken the train to other cities in France local and TGV,but just found this easier at the time.I will say that sometimes what would seem to be scenic is not.

Thank you! I'll be flying from lax on air france, who did you use for the flight from CDG to Bordeaux?

Thank you! I'll be flying from lax on air france, who did you use for the flight from CDG to Bordeaux?

I booked on United straight thru,and I think I changed to an Air France when I got to CDG.It really was an easy flt across the board even changing terminals.If you fly AF you should be able to book your add-on with no problem. Enjoy Bordeaux...I have been there a few times,and was there when they had to HUGE heat surge in Frnace in a non ac hotel room,but once I got used to the heat it was ok.When the restos open up for dinner at night and the tables are outside that is a really nice way to eat.

I booked on United straight thru,and I think I changed to an Air France when I got to CDG.It really was an easy flt across the board even changing terminals.If you fly AF you should be able to book your add-on with no problem. Enjoy Bordeaux...I have been there a few times,and was there when they had to HUGE heat surge in Frnace in a non ac hotel room,but once I got used to the heat it was ok.When the restos open up for dinner at night and the tables are outside that is a really nice way to eat.

Thank you! I'll be there in late winter/very early spring so hopefully the weather will be nice & chilly! :)

Thank you! I'll be there in late winter/very early spring so hopefully the weather will be nice & chilly! :)

Should be really nice then. I have been there in March and it was nice.You can see a lot as well as not many tourist then either. The rail line is in and it will be nicer to get around.I was there as they were putting it in.Have a great visit.

Should be really nice then. I have been there in March and it was nice.You can see a lot as well as not many tourist then either. The rail line is in and it will be nicer to get around.I was there as they were putting it in.Have a great visit.

Thank you! I'm still considering taking the train down, I've read some good reviews of it on Trip Advisor, sounds like is is actually quite scenic... still torn, hoping to hear from anyone who has taken the train (or drove)

Driving from CDG to Bordeaux will take at least 6 hours, I don't know if it is something to contemplate after a transatlantic flight.

The problem with TGV train is that, well, they are fast, and I don't find them particularly scenic for that reason, because the landscape goes by really fast ( I find it tiring for the eyes after a bit).

Why don't you take the plane on the way down, which is probably the best option after a long flight, and then take the train on the way back when you will be more rested?

Driving from CDG to Bordeaux will take at least 6 hours, I don't know if it is something to contemplate after a transatlantic flight.

The problem with TGV train is that, well, they are fast, and I don't find them particularly scenic for that reason, because the landscape goes by really fast ( I find it tiring for the eyes after a bit).

Why don't you take the plane on the way down, which is probably the best option after a long flight, and then take the train on the way back when you will be more rested?

Thank you for your advice, it's sounding like the best option is to just fly down, I do like the idea of taking the train back, as I plan on staying on a few extra days in Paris.

Archived