Taxes went up?

luvmy2kids

I booked and fully paid my October Dream cruise back in March. Been waiting patiently for a price drop. (ES)

Finally today there was a $100 drop.

Well, apparently the taxes went up almost $92 so I only get $8. :(

I'm curious as to some of the reasons why taxes go up on a cruise. Does anyone know?

I booked and fully paid my October Dream cruise back in March. Been waiting patiently for a price drop. (ES)

I'm curious as to some of the reasons why taxes go up on a cruise. Does anyone know?

Taxes are $100 now. How could they go up $92?

"taxes" really do not increase. What usually happens is there is an increase in PORT fees. These are not imposed by Carnival but rather the host port you are visiting increases their fee and Carnival carries that fee over the the customer.

I apologize. I should have specified that the $92 is the total amount of the increase for my cabin which has 5 occupants. Per person, it averages out to approximately $18.40.

So, instead of $100 price drop, I received an $8 price drop. (For the entire cabin - not per person.)

It is what it is. I was just wondering if anyone knew reasons why the taxes and/or port fees increase.

what are called euphemistically port taxes actually contain lots of other things, pilot fees, cost of docking, wharfage, stevedore charges etc and some times an actual port tax/charge for each passenger. Any of these can increase at any time. The amount charged is actually only an estimate and can change. Its normal that we when they recalculate a fare, that they collect the current amount charged for port fees.

We have the same question!!!!! We got a $360 price drop and our taxes did NOT go up. Friends of ours booked same day, same cruise, same itinerary and her taxes went up $100.00 for a whopping price drop of $8.00. Can't get a straight answer.

Archived