Rick Steves & Seatrain ?

fitznorton

Read in Rick Steves cruise port book that there may be a "Seatrain" from Civitavecchia to Rome when there are several cruise ships in port. Does anyone have any info on this? How would I book? Will it be running? Is it only used as a day trip? Our Celebrity cruise will be disembarking and I thought this might be a good way into San Pietro Station. How can I tell how many ships are in port on that day? (July 9, 2013) Thanks!

Read in Rick Steves cruise port book that there may be a "Seatrain" from Civitavecchia to Rome when there are several cruise ships in port. Does anyone have any info on this? How would I book? Will it be running? Is it only used as a day trip? Our Celebrity cruise will be disembarking and I thought this might be a good way into San Pietro Station. How can I tell how many ships are in port on that day? (July 9, 2013) Thanks!

It's called the Special Express Train, and I booked it once through the cruise line as a day excursion and it was only available as a round trip that left at 9:30 am and departed about 4:00 pm, I believe. It was about $99 p.p. return a couple of years ago. Perhaps someone who has booked it outside of a cruise line can provide more info.

We have visited Rome several time and always used the BIRG ticket, which can be purchased at news kiosks as well as at the station. Not only does it allow you to use almost any train (not intercity expresses, without supplement), but the ticket also includes buses, trams and the metro. It's fantastic value.

That said, on our last trip with Regent, as tours were included, we took the 'Tour' train, which leaves from a special station by the dock, crawls for a few minutes to the main tracks, then goes non-stop to San Pietro, which is ideal for the Vatican, then bus 64 is good to visit many other sites. The regular trains are much more spacious. I have long legs and it was really cramped. Each cruise line has its own carriage.

I would always take the regular train.

Whichever option, it is necessary to take a bus (free) from ship to port gates, or the special train might include a transfer. A point to note is, if getting off ship as soon as it docks, the free bus won't leave until reasonably full, so you could sit on it for 15 minutes, thinking 'I could be at station by now!'.

Once at the port gates, just follow the crowd or the beach to your right and you will find the station. Remember, if it's busy, buy your tickets at a new-stand. It will save lining up at the station.

OUCH!

As Kirk said, the Birg ticket does the same thing for a LOT less.

Ha ha, yes, our first cruise, first time in Rome, won't do that train again. But it was very easy, included a bus to and from the station, and got us to the Vatican Museum before the busloads of other tourists arrived, and that might have been worth extra! :)

Archived