Escape the kids??

prophet0621

I fear this will sound awful to many while others will understand. I believe there is no such thing as a fun and relaxing vacation when kids are around. With kids a vacation becomes more work and stress than if you just stay home and save yourself the headache and money.

My girlfriend and I took our first cruise last summer and fell in love with cruising. That week was without a doubt the most relaxed and stress free I had ever been in my life. Part of that feeling of bliss was leaving all my problems and daily annoyances on the dock before we boarded the ship, that includes being a parent. For one week I got to forget kids which was almost a vacation in itself.

We figured that when our younger kids got older we could take them on a cruise, preferably when we don't have to watch them as much or keep them entertained so we can actually enjoy a vacation. This plan applies mostly for her 7 (almost) year old boy who is the typical whiny, self-centered, hyper, annoying little sh*t that I find most boys to be. He is the bigger concern when we discuss ever taking them (the other is an 8 year old girl that's easy but still a kid so, by definition, still annoying) on a cruise because of his maturity level and general behavior. I was a boy, I know my parents probably thought the same way which makes me think that's why we didn't do many family vacations. :p

We do feel bad... kinda (her more so than me) for not taking them and not really wanting to take them when we know they would enjoy it but it would kill much of our own enjoyment. Then we batted around the idea of a Disney cruise which can keep the kids entertained as there is always something they could enjoy together or separately. What about adult time?? I know Disney makes an effort for adults to 'get away' and have a little time to enjoy the vacation too. How easy is it to do? Can it be a real vacation for adults or mostly just for the kids? Am I going to need a vacation from the vacation because I'm worn out from it? I'm worried I won't get away and spending that much time with the kids every day is going to make me think either one of them is going overboard (likely the boy) or I'm jumping. :eek:

My children are now grown but they were little once and anytime you bring children on vacation you still have to be a parent. I would either leave the kiddos at home or don't call your cruise a vacation.

There are places you can go onboard and be kid-free and the two you mentioned might enjoy the kids club. But when it comes right down to it, they will likely be eating at least some meals with you and sleeping in the same cabin. There are also over 1000 (depending if your are on the smaller or larger ships) of other people's children. That doesn't sound like what you are looking for in a vacation. Leave them home.

I think said girlfriend needs a new boyfriend. Your attitude about kids is really bad. If you want a vacation away from kids then go to an all inclusive for adults only. Geesh, you really have issues with kids, I cannot imagine you would want to do a Disney cruise. And I cannot imagine being with a man who hated my children!

Geesh, you really have issues with kids, I cannot imagine you would want to do a Disney cruise. And I cannot imagine being with a man who hated my children!

From the OP's post, I did not get the idea the OP hated the children.

I've sailed on the Fantasy and there at a lot of adult-only venues for you and your girlfriend to enjoy. I spent an hour every night sipping the most delicious martinis in the bar (can't remember the name) - very quiet - all adult. That being said, you will encounter children on Disney - I love children (have one myself) so that's not an issue. I never felt the kids were too loud or out of control. Most of the time, my child could be found in the kid's club - she loved it there. Obviously, it's up to you and your girlfriend but the Fantasy offers quiet, mature areas for the adults (along with a wonderful English-themed disco) and wondrous places for the kids!:)

Overall best Large ship category Best Cruise for FAMILY - parents and children .................

Disney Fantasy

Disney Dream

Disney Magic

Disney Wonder

Top 5 and Disney only has 4 ships!!!!

From the OP's post, I did not get the idea the OP hated the children.

I fear this will sound awful to many while others will understand. I believe there is no such thing as a fun and relaxing vacation when kids are around. With kids a vacation becomes more work and stress than if you just stay home and save yourself the headache and money.

My girlfriend and I took our first cruise last summer and fell in love with cruising. That week was without a doubt the most relaxed and stress free I had ever been in my life. Part of that feeling of bliss was leaving all my problems and daily annoyances on the dock before we boarded the ship, that includes being a parent. For one week I got to forget kids which was almost a vacation in itself.

We figured that when our younger kids got older we could take them on a cruise, preferably when we don't have to watch them as much or keep them entertained so we can actually enjoy a vacation. This plan applies mostly for her 7 (almost) year old boy who is the typical whiny, self-centered, hyper, annoying little sh*t that I find most boys to be. He is the bigger concern when we discuss ever taking them (the other is an 8 year old girl that's easy but still a kid so, by definition, still annoying) on a cruise because of his maturity level and general behavior. I was a boy, I know my parents probably thought the same way which makes me think that's why we didn't do many family vacations. :p

We do feel bad... kinda (her more so than me) for not taking them and not really wanting to take them when we know they would enjoy it but it would kill much of our own enjoyment. Then we batted around the idea of a Disney cruise which can keep the kids entertained as there is always something they could enjoy together or separately. What about adult time?? I know Disney makes an effort for adults to 'get away' and have a little time to enjoy the vacation too. How easy is it to do? Can it be a real vacation for adults or mostly just for the kids? Am I going to need a vacation from the vacation because I'm worn out from it? I'm worried I won't get away and spending that much time with the kids every day is going to make me think either one of them is going overboard (likely the boy) or I'm jumping. :eek:

Does this person sound like they like kids??????

Archived