Private Tour St. Petersburg

ellie84

Hi! I’ve got answers from 4 of the 5 companies that I write to. Currently I’m in correspondence with the first two - SPB- tours and the Best Guides. I have to say that both replies are very informative and detailed. The difference is : Vicktoria from SPB-tours offered several group tours (maximum group size 16) and the Best Guides offered 2 different individual itineraries. If I travel just with my DH I would definitely chose a group tour with SPB. But this time when I come with a kid of 3 I think we shall take an individual tour with the Best Guides despite of the higher price. Any way it’s our once in a life time cruise and we want to enjoy it.

By the way I asked them about a stroller and got two different answers J Vicktoria sad that strollers are absolutely allowed in all the museums and Natalia (the Best Guides) answered that we can use a stroller in the Hermitage but not in the Catherin’s Palace. It’s a little bit confusing but I don’t think it’s a big problem. We will just take a light stroller and use it where ever it is possible.

Jess :)

Jess

Did you mentioned to Viktoria that you might be interested in a private tour?? I know they do them. We used SPB

Tours as Viktoria ia just a joy to work with. She will try and accommodate you in any way possible, but again, it's who YOU feel most comfortable with.

As I said before, when you enter Catherine's Palace, they give you those little hospital booties to wear over your shoes, so I wasn't sure if a stroller would be allowed there. Funny you got two completely different replies. I might think they are because how else do you go in with very small children?

Cheers

Len

We use I Travel St.Petersburg and were very happy with the services. Before chgoosing them, I actually wrote to quite a number of companies (including frequently mentionel SPB, Alla and TJ here), but some answers looked very identical to each other - just different headlines. I chose I Travel as their answer to the initial inquiry really was different and showed personal approach.

Jess

Did you mentioned to Viktoria that you might be interested in a private tour??

No I think I didn’t mention that. I’ve sent the same letter to all the companies and just waited for the answer. I’m currently in correspondence with Natalia from the Best Guides. She is patiently answering my numerous questions and she is just excellent. After her third letter I actually decided to book with the Best Guides. Now we are trying to develop the exact itinerary.

The thing is Natalia suggest a baby sitter while we are in the Hermitage. The cost is pretty low – 25 US $ per hour. We used to have numerous baby sitters at home and Nicole gladly stayed with any of them. Despite that I’m not sure whether it is a good idea. I’ve never been oversees and I don’t know what to expect. All suggestions are very welcome.

Any way thank you Len for your help. I really appreciated it. THANK YOU A LOT!

Jess :)

Not sure if I'd use a babysitter there. I'm sure that people do it all the time and it is fine but it just doesn't sit well with me. Is the Hermitage close enough where you could run back to the ship and check the baby in with the kid program for the afternoon? Or maybe you can plan to work back towards the ship around mid day to make it work?

Jess

I agree with my fellow posters, I do NOT think having a babysitter is such a great idea.

Unless you are an art freak, the Hermitage is overwhelming and you will only get to see a portion of it. If you miss something along the way because of tending to the baby, it's no big deal. It is the whole experience that matters, not just everything you see.

Figure you will be there for about 3 hours, and you said you can bring the stroller, so hopefully the baby will nap for a while. The Hermitage is very bright, with well lit rooms and plenty of attention grabbing things. The baby will not be interested in them, but it could keep her busy for a while just looking around.

Anyway, I would keep the baby with you for your time there.

Here are a few examples of what I mean

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe927.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster955.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster953.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster958.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe920.jpg

http://s834.photobucket.com/user/Giantfan13/media/baltics/europemaster1037.mp4.html

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

After spending the morning with my 3 yr old grandson may I recommend that you build some play time into your St. P schedule. I would also want to know of the guide's experiences with implementing an itinerary that includes a toddler. Hope you all have a wonderful time!

I agree with John 100%. Of all the tour companies mentioned here on the Baltic's Board, I have never heard of one asking for any sort of payment or deposit in advance. If you are doing a 2 day tour, mostly all the companies ask for the money on the SECOND day.

Personally, I would not want to send any sort of deposit to a company in Russia because if something happens and you cannot make the trip, you might be out that money.

They are probably looking to insure that you do go with them by asking for a deposit. There have been cases where people sign up for 2 day tours and only go on the first day, looking to sort of 'screw' the tour company. But they are few and very far between.

Unless there is some particular reason why you need to use that particular tour company, I would think twice.

Like some of the others, we used SPB Tours and they will cater the tour to whatever your needs are, as, I'm sure, most of the other companies will also.

Cheers

we are going on an SPB tour off celebrity cruise ship June 1st and 2nd.

could you tell me what was required beyond, passport, tour ticket and proof of reservation with the tour company. I read somewhere about an immigration card required which they said you would get on the ship.

did you do that or was all the items I mentioned enough to allow you off the ship.

thanks

we are using spb tours in st. petersburg.

we will arrive on the celebrity eclipse June 1st and second.

I am a little confused as to what is needed to get off the ship in documentation.

I know we need our passports, tour ticket and confirmation of booked tour.

I read somewhere about an immigration card, to fill out provided on the ship.

did you do that.

Please advise.

thanks

we are using spb tours in st. petersburg.

we will arrive on the celebrity eclipse June 1st and second.

I am a little confused as to what is needed to get off the ship in documentation.

I know we need our passports, tour ticket and confirmation of booked tour.

I read somewhere about an immigration card, to fill out provided on the ship.

did you do that.

Please advise.

thanks

This is like a landing card that they give you on an airplane. The cruise line should hand them out but if they don't, there should be copies where you go through immigration. This is not a visa card. There is a link on one of these threads as to what it looks like.

there was a good thread about this a month or so back

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38120731

seems some cruise lines are trying to be cute in order to get you to use their excursions.

Do not fret as these cards are readily available either on line or at the port itself. You must have one filled out for Russian Immigration.

If you are still stuck, talk to your tour company. they will make sure you have everything you need to get thru immigration.

Cheers

Len

Jess

...I do NOT think having a babysitter is such a great idea...

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think you are right; it is too risky to use a babysitter in Russia. I think we will take Nicole with us. The guide I’m in correspondence with promised that strollers are allowed at least in the Hermitage and hopefully Nic will take a nap. Yes, we included some play time for her in the parks of Peterhof (the first day) and in the park next to the Spilled Blood (second day). We all (including Nic :)) can’t wait for the cruise. I will let you know what it was like.

Thanks for the help. Jess:)

I am looking into booking a private tour with ulko tours tour company in St. Petersburg for a private tour later this summer - please could everyone give me their personal experiences of this tour company and their tours??

Used Alla. V good, costs about same as ships tour but saw in a morning what ship covered in a day. Seemed to sneak in behind barriers. Money seems to open lots of short cuts and queues. Also there were only six of us on tour think there max is 10 tells you on web site. Did 2 day tour and covered lots well paced. Did a lot of walking site seeing then a boat ride to recover.

• 1 year later...

Came upon this old thread just accidentally and I should say I have changed my mind about the babysitters in Russia. Or rather I found another way to solve the problem. When we traveled with my little one last time I booked children tours for her. The guide was so good with the little one, that now I think I could easily trust her with the baby and take another guide for my husband and me to have our own tour meanwhile. We went with Best Guides on their special children tours. Maybe this would be helpful.