Question re cabins

foilman2002

Four of us are booked in two inside cabins on the Main deck on the Splendor. Even with the price drops we've decided to stay with the inside cabins. But I was wondering if there is any reason to go to an inside on a higher deck.

Four of us are booked in two inside cabins on the Main deck on the Splendor. Even with the price drops we've decided to stay with the inside cabins. But I was wondering if there is any reason to go to an inside on a higher deck.

I usually have a cabin on deck 6, but recently had a cabin on Main deck forward. The sound of the waves hitting the hull might be a problem for some, it wasn't for me but my BIL won't stay in the area again.

Being up higher like decks 6,7 are good central location plus less motion than being lower (or too high).

Agree! Our favorite location is deck 7 mid ship. We have done mostly insides with one balcony and one ocean view. While having a view outside is nice, I'm really fine with insides. Guess I'm a cheapskate at heart!

I usually have a cabin on deck 6, but recently had a cabin on Main deck forward. The sound of the waves hitting the hull might be a problem for some, it wasn't for me but my BIL won't stay in the area again.

Main deck wouldn't be a problem as the cabins are mid ships.

TASZMOM - I thought lower was better for motion, although I think that is for back and forth, not side to side.

Thank you both, I appreciated the responses.

Agree! Our favorite location is deck 7 mid ship. We have done mostly insides with one balcony and one ocean view. While having a view outside is nice, I'm really fine with insides. Guess I'm a cheapskate at heart!

We've done inside, balcony and oceanview, but are going inside on this one for several reasons.

I guess I'm wondering if I can pull off a quick one and use the "secret doors" as a quasi-balcony just for the early morning or late night.

I've been in Riviera, Main and Upper decks on Fantasy class, all interior, well the Riv room was a port hole. I slept best on the Main deck with no windows on the Imagination. It was a little more travel to get anywhere, but with all the food, the extra movement was a good thing. The Main was also an aft cabin. The Riv was forward and the Upper was mid. I really didn't like mid so much and since most of what we did was in the aft at night that was much more convenient. My husband didn't care any which way and slept fine everywhere.

The Main deck is below the Lobby and Galley areas. Usually not bad but some have complained of noise. Deck 7 and the front half of Deck 8 is between cabins and sometimes quieter unless you get noisy upstairs neighbors. Deck 9 Lido is nice because you can walk right out to the pools and the buffet. Don't get the back half of Deck 8 because it can get noisy below the pool areas.

Other than that I don't see any reason to move, and still I wouldn't pay very much to move.

One of the things that is better about Deck 7, .... as opposed to Deck 1 or Deck 2... is that you can get anywhere without an elevator. Up two flights to the Lido Deck, Down to flights to the Promenade Deck. Makes going from one place to another less of a hassle.

We are staying on Deck 1 on the Splendor in July. Connecting outside rooms for the five of us. We have stayed on Deck 1 before, and no problems at all.... just be prepared to wait for an elevator!

Catrin

The view from the inside of an inside cabin is the same, from any deck.

If motion is a concern, it is less the more mid ship you are, comparing from forward to aft; and less the lower you are, comparing upper decks to lower decks.

But if you read your deck plans thoroughly and spot a location that is really good, due to it's being within a few steps of one of those secret outdoor decks, then it may be worth it to pay the extra needed to be on that higher deck, in that location.

Having a cabin on a higher deck often makes it easier to get to the common areas a little quicker. If you on the Riviera Deck (deck 4), and you want to goto to the atrium bar deck 7, you probably will need to take the elevator... And they are often slow.

We were on the Empress deck and most places we wanted to go we're only two decks away.... Easy to jump up the stairs.

TASZMOM - I thought lower was better for motion, although I think that is for back and forth, not side to side.

Low and mid ship is best for any kind of movement.

If you get an inside on decks nine or ten near the front of the ship you can easily go outside to the forward observation deck. The door for deck nine is on the port side.

Yet, the lower decks have less motion. Also midship is less motion.

If you do move to a higher deck, make sure you aren't below an area where you'll hear them moving lounge chairs at 5 AM.

We love Riviera, inside midship. My SO may get seasick (although he never has in 10 cruises) so is happy to know he has a "safe" spot to go if he has a problem.

One thing nice, is it's only 1 or 2 (Main deck) flights of stairs down to get off at ports. When you get back on the ship, it's an easy walk up to your deck rather than having to wait for the elevator.

We have decided to stay in interiors this time on the Splendor--never have been before--always a balcony or suite--but we have 2 insides this time. We were on the lowest deck to start in only one room and quite frankly I was a little leary-never been below deck 6 but when all the sales happened we changed to two rooms on the lido deck. While I am still a little unsure of the interiors I am much happier with the location.

One of the things that is better about Deck 7, .... as opposed to Deck 1 or Deck 2... is that you can get anywhere without an elevator. Up two flights to the Lido Deck, Down to flights to the Promenade Deck. Makes going from one place to another less of a hassle.

Catrin

Catrin took the words right out of my mouth. This is the only problem we've ever encountered with a room on the lower decks.

A plus is the opposite, if you have a port-intensive itinerary and will be off the ship quite a bit, you don't have to wait on the elevator as much. Or walk as many stairs.

Our plan was to use the secret doors, but our cruise was extremely windy. they never unlocked them, even after we asked. It was a disappointment but didn't ruin our cruise. I'm always amazed at people who will criticize the cruise lines for little glitches, beyond anyone's control

Archived