Any Recommendations for a Southampton Hotel?

portadown

I'll be sailing in August, and I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a hotel in Southampton. The last time I sailed from there, I stayed at the Jurys Inn. It was fine, but I wondered if there was something that might be more interesting.

Thanks.

I'll be sailing in August, and I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a hotel in Southampton. The last time I sailed from there, I stayed at the Jurys Inn. It was fine, but I wondered if there was something that might be more interesting.

Thanks.

I've heard some good things about the Dolphin but I haven't used it personally. The De Vere Grand Harbour looks impressive but I've been getting some negative feedback on it lately. We've used the MacDonald out at Botley Park which is nice but a little far out of town. The last two cruises we've settled for the Holiday Inn which is way the most convenient for the various terminals but is otherwise pretty basic.

J

Somewhere a great deal more interesting is New Place which is run by the De Vere group.

Its about 10 miles out from Southampton but they arrange and pay fr a taxi to run you in and collect you if you have left your car there.

It's a house built by Lutyens and has a gym/ pool in an annexe.

Somewhere a great deal more interesting is New Place which is run by the De Vere group.

Its about 10 miles out from Southampton but they arrange and pay fr a taxi to run you in and collect you if you have left your car there.

It's a house built by Lutyens and has a gym/ pool in an annexe.

Goodness gracious me - two replies from York in quick succession!

Well have the man with no vowels along shortly at this rate.

j

Two years ago we stayed at the Holiday Inn right near the dock on our way home from Ireland. This year we are staying there again. We found a good rate that includes dinner and the breakfast buffet. The hotel is nice enough and we had a great view of the port. In fact, the first time we stayed there I didn't realize just how close it was to where the QM2 docks. The morning we were to board, I went outside for a brief walk and looked up and there she was. I can't tell you how surprised I was to see her right there. It's very convenient. Maybe you can still find a good rate if you look around a bit online. :)

The De Vere Grand Harbour looks impressive but I've been getting some negative feedback on it lately. J

The Grand Harbour is no longer a De Vere hotel. I made my reservation for 9 May on the De Vere website a few days before the affiliation change and it seemingly disappeared into the ether; the username I created had been deleted. Using the "contact us" function on the website and sending e-mails to two different addresses purporting to go direct to the hotel got no response. Only way I learned my reservation was still good was seeing multiple inquiries from them come on and off my credit card--one of which finally converted to the actual charge this week.

Thanks.

White Star

Oxford Street

http://www.whitestartavern.co.uk/

also have excellent restaurant but if you like Indian then for food (Indian)

Kutis Brasserie over the road.

http://kutisbrasserie.co.uk/

also a Brazilian Restaurant all you can eat place opposite

http://www.casabrasilrestaurants.co.uk/

also an English Pub opposite called The Bunch of Grapes, they also have rooms to let, but I believe they are quite cheap and not as plush as The White Star, which in my opinion is the better bet.

http://www.thegrapessouthampton.co.uk/

The White Star Tavern is close to

QE2 Cruise Terminal - Southampton - Berth 38/39

and

Ocean Cruise Terminal - Southampton - Berth 46/47

all Use Dock Gate 4

http://www.abports.co.uk/admin/content/files/Port%20plans/Southampton%20Map%202011.pdf

http://www.abparking.co.uk/directions

The Grand Harbour is no longer a De Vere hotel. I made my reservation for 9 May on the De Vere website a few days before the affiliation change and it seemingly disappeared into the ether; the username I created had been deleted. Using the "contact us" function on the website and sending e-mails to two different addresses purporting to go direct to the hotel got no response. Only way I learned my reservation was still good was seeing multiple inquiries from them come on and off my credit card--one of which finally converted to the actual charge this week.

I have just today made a reservation at the De Vere Grand Harbour, on the De Vere site!

I have just today made a reservation at the De Vere Grand Harbour, on the De Vere site!

Yes, the De Vere site does still list the Grand Harbour, but with the following disclaimer:

http://www.devere-hotels.co.uk/hotel-lodges/locations/grand-harbour.html

Grand Harbour Hotel is no longer part of the De Vere Group.

In taking your booking, De Vere is acting as agent for Grand Harbour Hotel. By proceeding with your booking you agree to be bound by the Grand Harbour Hotel Terms and Conditions.

Click Here for terms & conditions

And said terms and conditions include the right to abritrarily refuse or cancel your booking made through the De Vere site.

Thanks.

Personally I like hotel rooms with a view and so the Holiday Inn or DeVere Grand Harbour will always be my choice. Holiday Inn is good value and closer views but the Grand Harbour has more facilities.

Personally I like hotel rooms with a view and so the Holiday Inn or DeVere Grand Harbour will always be my choice. Holiday Inn is good value and closer views but the Grand Harbour has more facilities.

I'm with you but I'll stick with the bland Holiday Inn. The first time I was in Southampton we stayed at the Holiday Inn mainly due to brand name recognition. I stared at the Grand Harbour across the street and told myself I'd like to stay there some day. Well since then I heard a lot of negative stories but did manage to finally reserve at the Grand Harbour on another sailing out of Southampton. We checked in only to be told that the hotel had a flood and that they were putting up some of the customers at.....yes, you guessed it - the Holiday Inn. That in itself was not the end of the world but when you find out the went out of their way to keep the attendees at some conference being held at the hotel one began to wonder what the story was. As a consolation they told us we could come back for dinner and get a discount as they had a list of the patrons being shuttled to the Holiday Inn. Well they had no record of us when we showed up at the Grand Harbour's restaurant that evening but at least they took us on faith. Sadly, the food at the Holiday Inn was just as good if not better. So I have very little need to try the Grand Harbour again unless new management makes it a better experience.

Archived