Bayone?

cormike1

I am not very knowledgeable about the different cruise ports between NYC, Bayone, Cape Liberty, etc. From which ports would I be able to see the Statue of Liberty on sail away? I want to book a Bermuda cruise and would like to be able to cruise past/near the SOL if possible. There are a couple of options but 1st choise would be seeing her. Thanks everyone.

Although technically you would not pass right by the statue from the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn you will have no problems seeing the Statue of Liberty leaving from Brooklyn. The same goes for Bayonne, NJ. The only terminal you could sail from where the ship would have to pass right by the Statue of Liberty is the Mannhattan Terminal.

Just FYI:

Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, NJ

Red Hook Terminal is in Brooklyn, NY

NYC would be the Mannhattan Cruise Terminal in midtown Mannhattan

Edited by Eng23

To sail by the Statue of Liberty you need to sail from the Manhattan Cruiseport which services primarily NCL and Carnival. RCL and Celebrity leave from Bayonne. Hal, Princess,and Cunard leave from Brookyn. There can be exceptions to this general rule. Folks have posted about sailing on Hal and I think even Cunard from Manhattan. Someone also posted that their Celebrity ship docked in Manhattan for the day.

The SOL is visible when you sail from Brooklyn or Bayonne, but only in the distance.

Thanks to both of you for those quick replies. Does it make a difference as to which airport to fly into? Thanks again.

It depends. I know alot depends on what you can afford as far as airfare. This area is served by 3 major airports. If you cruise from cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ you could fly into Newark, NJ airport code (EWR). If you cruise from Mannhattan you could consider LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NY airport code (LGA). If you cruise from Red Hook in Brooklyn, NY you could fly into John F. Kennedy Airport airport code (JFK). You would need to consider what your airfare would be to those airports and then consider what your ground transportation options are to get to your hotel (unless you fly in the day of your cruise) and then to which ever port your ship sails from. Ground transportation runs the gamut from trains (Amtrak/NJ Transit), subway, buses, taxi's, limo's, and private car service. Some hotels provide a shuttle to the ports so that might be a consideration for you too.

If you choose Cape Liberty (Bayonne NJ) I suggest you fly into Newark NJ (EWR) as for Brooklyn or Manhattan, I defer to my learned colleagues.

Edited by MedicKen

I am not very knowledgeable about the different cruise ports between NYC, Bayone, Cape Liberty, etc. From which ports would I be able to see the Statue of Liberty on sail away? I want to book a Bermuda cruise and would like to be able to cruise past/near the SOL if possible. There are a couple of options but 1st choise would be seeing her. Thanks everyone.

JMHO, but there is no better sight than sailing down the Hudson, looking at all the glory that is NYC and passing directly by the Statue of Liberty. And for that, you HAVE To sail from Manhattan.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!!!

JMHO, but there is no better sight than sailing down the Hudson, looking at all the glory that is NYC and passing directly by the Statue of Liberty. And for that, you HAVE To sail from Manhattan.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!!!

I see you over on the Cruise Air Board quite often. Do you have any better suggestions about the airports than I came up with?

It depends. I know alot depends on what you can afford as far as airfare. This area is served by 3 major airports. If you cruise from cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ you could fly into Newark, NJ airport code (EWR). If you cruise from Mannhattan you could consider LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NY airport code (LGA). If you cruise from Red Hook in Brooklyn, NY you could fly into John F. Kennedy Airport airport code (JFK). You would need to consider what your airfare would be to those airports and then consider what your ground transportation options are to get to your hotel (unless you fly in the day of your cruise) and then to which ever port your ship sails from. Ground transportation runs the gamut from trains (Amtrak/NJ Transit), subway, buses, taxi's, limo's, and private car service. Some hotels provide a shuttle to the ports so that might be a consideration for you too.

Perhaps I'm misreading your intent, but the way you described the airport selection versus the cruise port is too limiting.

For example, you shouldn't just consider LGA when cruising from Manhattan...you can fly into any of the three airports, and the choice should be based on a combination of all factors...airfare, schedule, and ground transportation preferences and costs. Although LGA is closest, each of the three airports is a reasonable distance from the pier, and none should be ruled out arbitrarily.

If sailing from Brooklyn, LGA is actually closer to the port than your first choice airport, JFK...but again

the decision shouldn't be based on distance to the airport...the combination of fare, schedules, and ground transportation preference/cost are the important factors. You can even fly into EWR...but the fare difference would have to be enough to offset higher ground transportation cost .

When sailing from Bayonne, although EWR is much closer to the port, again airfare and flight schedule might make LGA or JFK better choices...but keeping in mind that ground transportation to the port will be significantly more expensive.

Edited by njhorseman

Perhaps I'm misreading your intent, but the way you described the airport selection versus the cruise port is too limiting.

For example, you shouldn't just consider LGA when cruising from Manhattan...you can fly into any of the three airports, and the choice should be based on a combination of all factors...airfare, schedule, and ground transportation preferences and costs. Although LGA is closest, each of the three airports is a reasonable distance from the pier, and none should be ruled out arbitrarily.

If sailing from Brooklyn, LGA is actually closer to the port than your first choice airport, JFK...but again

the decision shouldn't be based on distance to the airport...the combination of fare, schedules, and ground transportation preference/cost are the important factors. You can even fly into EWR...but the fare difference would have to be enough to offset higher ground transportation cost .

When sailing from Bayonne, although EWR is much closer to the port, again airfare and flight schedule might make LGA or JFK better choices...but keeping in mind that ground transportation to the port will be significantly more expensive.

Actually this is pretty much what I was trying to say. You put it into words much better than I did.

To sail by the Statue of Liberty you need to sail from the Manhattan Cruiseport which services primarily NCL and Carnival. RCL and Celebrity leave from Bayonne. Hal, Princess,and Cunard leave from Brookyn. There can be exceptions to this general rule. Folks have posted about sailing on Hal and I think even Cunard from Manhattan. Someone also posted that their Celebrity ship docked in Manhattan for the day.

The SOL is visible when you sail from Brooklyn or Bayonne, but only in the distance.

Close or far distance? Need Binoculars?

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

Again thanks so much for all that info!!!! I write all this down and keep it in my "travel file" and over the years have referred to it many times. My friends know I use these boards for info and ask me a lot of stuff. If I don't know the answer I know I can ask here and get one.... such a great website! We will be using a taxi to get to the cruise port (whichever one it might be) and I am trying to fly in the morning of the cruise. I still have not booked a cruise but I keep hoping the one that sails out of NY will have a price drop as it would be a "bucket list" item to sail past the "Lady" Thanks again....I really appreciate this information!

I still have not booked a cruise but I keep hoping the one that sails out of NY will have a price drop as it would be a "bucket list" item to sail past the "Lady" Thanks again....I really appreciate this information!

Does anyone know why Royal Caribbean doesn't just sail north for a couple of miles to get the good view of the Statue of Liberty before turning south? People seem to want it and their website still uses an old photo featuring a ship sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do?portCode=BYE

Does anyone know why Royal Caribbean doesn't just sail north for a couple of miles to get the good view of the Statue of Liberty before turning south? People seem to want it and their website still uses an old photo featuring a ship sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do?portCode=BYE

A huge cruise ship trying to make a u-turn in the Hudson River/Upper Bay with all the ship traffic would not be a very smart idea...it would be a giant safety hazard and I doubt the Coast Guard would allow it...in fact I doubt any ship's captain would try it. You can't stop, start and turn a cruise ship like a car...or even a small boat.

Edited by njhorseman

A huge cruise ship trying to make a u-turn in the Hudson River/Upper Bay with all the ship traffic would not be a very smart idea...it would be a giant safety hazard and I doubt the Coast Guard would allow it...in fact I doubt any ship's captain would try it. You can't stop, start and turn a cruise ship like a car...or even a small boat.

These ships are large, but the New York harbor is considerably larger.

See the following video at :31 to :44 to view the Freedom of the Seas in the New York Harbor.

The Freedom actually anchored for a couple of hours off the Statue of Liberty.

I guess the Coast Guard approved that.

People want to see the Quantum of the Seas near the Statue of Liberty.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/2008-01-17-ship-names_N.htm

These ships are large, but the New York harbor is considerably larger.

See the following video at :31 to :44 to view the Freedom of the Seas in the New York Harbor.

The Freedom actually anchored for a couple of hours off the Statue of Liberty.

I guess the Coast Guard approved that.

People want to see the Quantum of the Seas near the Statue of Liberty.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/2008-01-17-ship-names_N.htm

I know how big New York Harbor is. I'm a native of NY City. I commuted on the Staten Island Ferry for years.

Allowing a ship to anchor once for a specified time on a single visit that was a special occasion is one thing. They can schedule the process and divert harbor traffic for the time the ship is scheduled to turn around. They did something special for the Cunard "Queens" meeting in the harbor too. Again a one-time special occasion.

Having a ship do a sail by by and hook a u-turn in the harbor traffic every week is something else entirely, and potentially disruptive and dangerous.

Edited by njhorseman

I know how big New York Harbor is. I'm a native of NY City. I commuted on the Staten Island Ferry for years.

Allowing a ship to anchor once for a specified time on a single visit that was a special occasion is one thing. They can schedule the process and divert harbor traffic for the time the ship is scheduled to turn around. They did something special for the Cunard "Queens" meeting in the harbor too. Again a one-time special occasion.

Having a ship do a sail by by and hook a u-turn in the harbor traffic every week is something else entirely, and potentially disruptive and dangerous.

A very good point. I remember a time in 1984 being on the aircraft carrier USS Independence being anchored in NY Harbor for the 4th of July. When the carrier had to move harbor traffic and Hudson River traffic had to be shut down so that the carrier could maneuver and turn around.

I'm sure it would be the same today to try and turn a large cruise ship. It would be disruptive to the rest of the harbor traffic.

really? with azipods the ships can turn around within their own length. With computer control the ships can stay stationary except during some periods when the tide is running. If timed with slack tide its not difficult at all.

but it is still a safety hazard. The Hudson has high traffic both barges and Ferries. It is under positive control by the Coast Guard. I don't know if the coast guard will allow it but they do try to accommodate.

US Aircraft carriers do not have Azipods and need tugs within Harbors. Cruise ships for the most part do everything without tugs(the tug boat operators have a name for this but I can't post it on a family board... it is tug f*****s

Edited by smeyer418

really? with azipods the ships can turn around within their own length. With computer control the ships can stay stationary except during some periods when the tide is running. If timed with slack tide its not difficult at all.

but it is still a safety hazard. The Hudson has high traffic both barges and Ferries. It is under positive control by the Coast Guard. I don't know if the coast guard will allow it but they do try to accommodate.

US Aircraft carriers do not have Azipods and need tugs within Harbors. Cruise ships for the most part do everything without tugs(the tug boat operators have a name for this but I can't post it on a family board... it is tug f*****s

My point was the safety hazard because of the heavy traffic in the harbor and river, not whether there was physically enough room for the maneuver. And even with thrusters and azipods (not all ships have azipods by the way), the ship still can't stop on a dime..it takes time to bring it to a stop or at least to a minimum forward motion.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 year later...

Quantum of the Seas seemed to be able to make the maneuver.

See posts 59 and 60

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2099947&page=3

It would be nice if they did this on a regular basis.

Quantum of the Seas seemed to be able to make the maneuver.

See posts 59 and 60

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2099947&page=3

It would be nice if they did this on a regular basis.

Yes, the Quantum did it, very early in the morning, before sunrise when harbor traffic was at a minimum. They had to get special permission to do so. It was a one-time event to commemorate her arrival in the US. It is not something that would be allowed on a regular basis. Your idea was for Royal Caribbean ships to do it upon departure...late afternoon when the harbor will be jammed with traffic. That will not be allowed.

As I said over a year and a half ago when this was discussed, it is not an issue of whether a ship is physically capable of performing the maneuver, it's an issue of harbor safety. Traffic would have to be held at some distance away from the ship to prevent possible accidents involving other ships. Look at the video in post 66...there's not another ship or boat within sight.

Edited by njhorseman

Yes, the Quantum did it, very early in the morning, before sunrise when harbor traffic was at a minimum. .

"They" also moor barges in that area over night sometimes. The ships going to Bayonne are actually outside the marked channel that passes in front of Staten Island (the one that goes to the Arthur Kill).

How much more low sulfur fuel would they have to burn to do that as well, I'm sure there is a cost if done on regular basis.

Yes, the Quantum did it, very early in the morning, before sunrise when harbor traffic was at a minimum. They had to get special permission to do so. It was a one-time event to commemorate her arrival in the US. It is not something that would be allowed on a regular basis. Your idea was for Royal Caribbean ships to do it upon departure...late afternoon when the harbor will be jammed with traffic. That will not be allowed.

As I said over a year and a half ago when this was discussed, it is not an issue of whether a ship is physically capable of performing the maneuver, it's an issue of harbor safety. Traffic would have to be held at some distance away from the ship to prevent possible accidents involving other ships. Look at the video in post 66...there's not another ship or boat within sight.

They're doing it right now and they've done it in the late afternoon three times in less than a week.