New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

Ummm... Obviously you aren't amusing yourself with this thread. The agenda is clear... crystal. Someone really misses the six shrimp cocktail :p (135 posts and counting...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846502

:)

Agreed. And as above, I do not understand the need to bash something you have no first hand knowledge of.

I'm looking forward to trying Cagney's again on my next cruise.

Hey folks,

I've had better food at Golden Corral for much less cost.

I've eaten at Outback and Ruth Chris, not even a close comparison and yes I've had the new menu. The previous menu was so much better!

Wanda

Other than the two threads running on this subject, your opinion is in the minority. Most of the negative opinions, other than yours, are from folks who refuse to try the new menu. I reserve judgment till I try it. After all if I took all the comments to heart I would never had tried NCL. The loyalist from the otherlines consider it (NCL) like Motel 6. I know that not to be true!

There are to many good reviews and folks liking the better quality meat to just say "Outback is better!". I like Outback! Last time there I got 18 oz. rib eye and wife got 12 oz. sirloin. With only unsweetend iced tea to drink, salad and ONE appitizer split between us and a shared desert, our bill was $68 before our tip.

So I feel $60 to try out Cagney's, on vacation that I have budgeted for is worth the try. The ambiance is definitly better than Outback, to say it isn't is laughable.

Hey folks,

I've eaten at Outback and Ruth Chris, not even a close comparison and yes I've had the new menu. The previous menu was so much better!

Wanda

Wow, better food at Golden Corral. You must have a much more upscale Golden Corral than we have here in Arizona.

Hey folks,

Wanda

Golden Corral? Really? Do you realize that you lost all your credibility with that one statement?

I recently ate at Cagney's seven times for dinner on a recent Panama Canal Cruise. It was that great. Revising the menu and improving the quality of the meat offerings was a wonderful move by NCL.

My question though is the statement by NCL..."our own 28 day aging specifications."

The meat supplier must deliver the CAB already aged? It doesn't say they age it on board, just that it is aged to their specs. If I want to buy aged CAB at home it is too expensive for me unless a special occasion (Aged CAB USDA Prime-rib for Christmas a couple $100 for a 4 rib roast from the small end, cook to 137 degrees over 5 hours, very much worth the trouble and money).

Is all Cagney's CAB 28 day aged or just certain cuts?

I would like to hear from someone with first hand knowledge on this subject.

Jon

I'm suspicious that they simply say aging and not dry aging. From what I've read, supermarket meat could be "aged" 28 days just from the time from slaughter to point of sale.

I'm suspicious that they simply say aging and not dry aging. From what I've read, supermarket meat could be "aged" 28 days just from the time from slaughter to point of sale.

Stop trying to dissect the quality. Try it you will like it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Hey folks,

I've had better food at Golden Corral for much less cost. The previous menu was so much better!

Wanda

Golden Corral? Really? Do you realize that you lost all your credibility with that one statement?

I agree with Cruisin&Relaxin. To say that and possibly really believe it is to me quite laughable.

I doubt that NCL is ALWAYS trying to pull the wool over our eyes. How many folks they have employed in their conspiracy department anyway? I realize how advertising can be, but it can be truthfull too. NCL seems to me to be a cruiseline bent on improving their image and delivering a great product at a good price. As stated in a prior post of mine, if I believed even a smidge of the bad stuff loyalist from the other cruislines (including as most of you say the dreaded Carnival) I would never had given NCL ( a "economy class cruise line" in their words) a chance. I am glad I did and am now a fan.

I say give it a try (Cagney's), you may enjoy it. If whats on the menu does not intrest you, don't go. Did anyone really go there and pay $25 just for the Oysters Rockafeller, Lobster bisk, or lump crab cakes? They must have been good. To pay $30 and get a better quality steak and new future favorites isn't so bad. If $5 per person more in price turns you off I guess the MDR or the buffet will be that much more busy. If every resturant was complimentary and offered that quality of food, the cruise would cost a lot more than current prices.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

I doubt that NCL is ALWAYS trying to pull the wool over our eyes. How many folks they have employed in their conspiracy department anyway? I realize how advertising can be, but it can be truthfull too. NCL seems to me to be a cruiseline bent on improving their image and delivering a great product at a good price. As stated in a prior post of mine, if I believed even a smidge of the bad stuff loyalist from the other cruislines (including as most of you say the dreaded (Carnival) I would never had given NCL ( a "economy class cruise line" in their words) a chance. I am glad I did and am now a fan.

I say give it a try (Cagney's), you may enjoy it. If whats on the menu does not intrest you, don't go. Did anyone really go there and pay $25 just for the Oysters Rockafeller, Lobster bisk, or lump crab cakes? They must have been good. To pay $30 and get a better quality steak and new future favorites isn't so bad. If $5 per person more in price turns you off I guess the MDR or the buffet will be that much more busy. If every resturant was coplimentary and offered that quality of food, the cruise would cost a lot more than current prices.

Jon

Totally agree! Well said!

I recently ate at Cagney's seven times for dinner on a recent Panama Canal Cruise. It was that great. Revising the menu and improving the quality of the meat offerings was a wonderful move by NCL.

Why do you feel the need to attack other people's opinions? Have you been there? I have and had a very bad experience. I won't go back. Do whatever you want!

Why do you feel the need to attack other people's opinions? Have you been there? I have and had a very bad experience. I won't go back. Do whatever you want!

I think your bad experience was your bad experience. You want the old menu back and you have made that very clear.

You said that the baked potato soup had no flavor nor did the broccoli - I'm not a big person for flavor, a little salt and pepper is good for me - I think flavor is personal taste, some like a lot and some like a little, obviously you like a lot. Did you ask them to redo it with more seasonings? You didn't like that the shrimp cockail because it only had three shrimp or the crab cakes because of a little crab, did you ask for more shrimp or more crab, if not why didn't you ask for more? You said your steak was done correctly, but had a cold pad of garlic butter on it. That is how mine was served in April last year. Did you ask for it without the garlic butter? I didn't order any of the desserts because they didn't appeal to me, so I can't speak to whether that is of a personal taste or not. Did you let them know your feelings and ask for something else? I did find it very interesting that you said that the coffee was not like the coffee you had on your last trip to Cagney's, how was it different....do you think it had anything to do with the new menu, do you think they are serving a different brand of coffee? Bottom line, did you give Cagney's a chance to make everything right for you or are you just that upset about the new menu?

You showed your dissatisfaction on here, but did you ever mentioned any of it to the server or manager. Did they not address your problem, if you did bring it to their attention.

What was the item (other than the additional 3 shrimp) that was not on the new menu that ruined your dinner and cruise?

Edited by NLH Arizona

Did you read what you quoted? They said they dined there 7, yes, 7 times recently. They have 7 times more experience than you and I have combined, so I'm going to try it.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Stop trying to dissect the quality. Try it you will like it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I previously stated I'm excited for the new menu because I don't care for seafood. Just making an observation that their wording is strange.

I doubt that NCL is ALWAYS trying to pull the wool over our eyes. How many folks they have employed in their conspiracy department anyway? I realize how advertising can be, but it can be truthfull too. NCL seems to me to be a cruiseline bent on improving their image and delivering a great product at a good price. As stated in a prior post of mine, if I believed even a smidge of the bad stuff loyalist from the other cruislines (including as most of you say the dreaded Carnival) I would never had given NCL ( a "economy class cruise line" in their words) a chance. I am glad I did and am now a fan.

I say give it a try (Cagney's), you may enjoy it. If whats on the menu does not intrest you, don't go. Did anyone really go there and pay $25 just for the Oysters Rockafeller, Lobster bisk, or lump crab cakes? They must have been good. To pay $30 and get a better quality steak and new future favorites isn't so bad. If $5 per person more in price turns you off I guess the MDR or the buffet will be that much more busy. If every resturant was complimentary and offered that quality of food, the cruise would cost a lot more than current prices.

Jon

Haha, I do think their advertising (and likely legal) department are large. I already decided to give Cagney's a try now where I wouldn't have previously because I dislike seafood. I'm not exactly picky about food anyways - my favourite steak ever has been the one we got from Costco and did ourselves. The fanciest place I've ever had a steak was Gibby's in Montreal, and from the tone of this thread I'm starting to suspect people would look down their noses at that restaurant too.

I had just read an article about how to age your meat at home in a modified bar fridge and they had pointed out if the advertising doesn't say "dry", you're best to assume that it is wet aged. I don't even know if I've HAD dry aged steak before, but I thought I'd point out their advertising might be a little misleading. Maybe someone who has more experience with this sort of distinction can go and report back on which technique they think they used. (Although even if it's wet aged, I'll still go, cuz like I said - my fave steak was bought in Costco.)

I tried Cagney's on the Gem... I would have to say, personally, I would probably not do it again. It had the new menu, and the food was not bad, but the thirty dollar upcharge seemed a little expensive for the meal. The side dishes were good, but to me, basic fare, and not exotic enough. The desserts were good, but I prefer the desserts at La Cucina! I tried the filet, with the crusted cheese on top and cheese covering a filet was not the best idea, so maybe it was my choice.

The service was very good, and I did like the salad I had (it had pears in it). The baked potato soup was tasty, but again, I probably would have preferred a lobster bisque were it available as I get baked potato soup a lot in my everyday capacity.

One thing we wrote to NCL about is that they need ONE GOOD vegetarian option on the menu.. I was traveling with a vegetarian, and I wanted a steak, and there is nothing - hardly any appetizers or anything that a vegetarian can eat. He was able to call the ship's chef and the chef made him a special dinner and did not charge him the surcharge but that took some doing. Carnival has a lovely steakhouse that offers a beautiful tofu tower right on the steakhouse menu and you don't have to think - a vegetarian can order.

I know some of you are thinking "why would a vegetarian go to a steakhouse anyway?" but one menu option would be appreciated in case you have someone in your party and some of you want to go to that venue.

I tried Cagney's on the Gem... I would have to say, personally, I would probably not do it again. It had the new menu, and the food was not bad, but the thirty dollar upcharge seemed a little expensive for the meal. The side dishes were good, but to me, basic fare, and not exotic enough. The desserts were good, but I prefer the desserts at La Cucina! I tried the filet, with the crusted cheese on top and cheese covering a filet was not the best idea, so maybe it was my choice.

The service was very good, and I did like the salad I had (it had pears in it). The baked potato soup was tasty, but again, I probably would have preferred a lobster bisque were it available as I get baked potato soup a lot in my everyday capacity.

One thing we wrote to NCL about is that they need ONE GOOD vegetarian option on the menu.. I was traveling with a vegetarian, and I wanted a steak, and there is nothing - hardly any appetizers or anything that a vegetarian can eat. He was able to call the ship's chef and the chef made him a special dinner and did not charge him the surcharge but that took some doing. Carnival has a lovely steakhouse that offers a beautiful tofu tower right on the steakhouse menu and you don't have to think - a vegetarian can order.

I know some of you are thinking "why would a vegetarian go to a steakhouse anyway?" but one menu option would be appreciated in case you have someone in your party and some of you want to go to that venue.

I had a vegetarian in my group on the Epic and they loved the saffron vegetarian casserole. It was a good option, but it is now gone. Hopefully they will add something back, as they will lose a large booking if only one person is vegetarian.

I think your bad experience was your bad experience. You want the old menu back and you have made that very clear.

You said that the baked potato soup had no flavor nor did the broccoli - I'm not a big person for flavor, a little salt and pepper is good for me - I think flavor is personal taste, some like a lot and some like a little, obviously you like a lot. Did you ask them to redo it with more seasonings? You didn't like that the shrimp cockail because it only had three shrimp or the crab cakes because of a little crab, did you ask for more shrimp or more crab, if not why didn't you ask for more? You said your steak was done correctly, but had a cold pad of garlic butter on it. That is how mine was served in April last year. Did you ask for it without the garlic butter? I didn't order any of the desserts because they didn't appeal to me, so I can't speak to whether that is of a personal taste or not. Did you let them know your feelings and ask for something else? I did find it very interesting that you said that the coffee was not like the coffee you had on your last trip to Cagney's, how was it different....do you think it had anything to do with the new menu, do you think they are serving a different brand of coffee? Bottom line, did you give Cagney's a chance to make everything right for you or are you just that upset about the new menu?

You showed your dissatisfaction on here, but did you ever mentioned any of it to the server or manager. Did they not address your problem, if you did bring it to their attention.

What was the item (other than the additional 3 shrimp) that was not on the new menu that ruined your dinner and cruise?

This thread is getting old--until you have had the new menu--I do not think anyone should write about it--once you have had the new menu then you can comment on the various aspects. Some posters are commenting on the new menu who have never even been to Cagney's ( old or new menu) or maybe they have one time. It takes several sittings and several different ships with different chefs to be able to give a true evaluation

Move on.

BG

This thread is getting old--until you have had the new menu--I do not think anyone should write about it--once you have had the new menu then you can comment on the various aspects. Some posters are commenting on the new menu who have never even been to Cagney's ( old or new menu) or maybe they have one time. It takes several sittings and several different ships with different chefs to be able to give a true evaluation

Move on.

BG

Thank you for your opinion, but I strongly disagree with you. If one doesn't like a thread, they really don't have to open it and read it.

Thank you for your opinion, but I strongly disagree with you. If one doesn't like a thread, they really don't have to open it and read it.

seems like you disagree with everyone that is counter to you opinion--just for clarification how many times have you eaten at Cagney's???

BG

seems like you disagree with everyone that is counter to you opinion--just for clarification how many times have you eaten at Cagney's???

BG

Of course I disagree with someone who doesn't have the same opinion, just as you disagree with someone who doesn't agree with you. If we all thought the same, wouldn't it be a dull world; that is why it is called an opinion!

In my world, it doesn't matter how many times someone has eaten at Cagney's, they are still entitled to their opinion. BTW just to be civil and answer your question, it is more than one time for me, so I guess I qualify to have an opinion, in your world.

Hey, maybe the poster who posted this: NCL website still describes Cagney's as a steak house featuring a signature T-bone steak which is not even on the new menu. The new menus is not on the web site---judging from the reviews I read from different NCl ships the menu is not being received very well by consumers--in my opinion whoever made that menu missed the steak house theme all together. Shouldn't be commenting on the new menu, because it doesn't look like they tried the new menu either.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I have eaten at Cagney's many times and liked it but have not been on NCL since the new menus came out.However, you will need to add me to your list of those who have lost credibility (along with many thousand others) because Golden Corral gives you a very good steak for an excellent price. Don't try to disparage a restaurant that puts out good food at a low price. It would not be as popular as it is if very many felt the way you do about it.

I have eaten at Cagney's many times and liked it but have not been on NCL since the new menus came out.However, you will need to add me to your list of those who have lost credibility (along with many thousand others) because Golden Corral gives you a very good steak for an excellent price. Don't try to disparage a restaurant that puts out good food at a low price. It would not be as popular as it is if very many felt the way you do about it.

You misunderstand me. Why or why is this such a personal issue with some people.

I was commenting on the posters statement that Golden Corral provides better food than Cagney's.

I have eaten at Golden Corral and agree that one can get good food.

Where you lose credibility with me is after I have dined at Cagney's using the new menu on seven separate occasions and was absolutely delighted with the quality, the high level of service and the variety of offerings during each and e every one of those visits and then tell me that Golden Corral has better food.

First of all, I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not supporting NCL in any way. In fact, over time, many have said in their reviews that, in general, the NCL Specialty Restaurants are not as good as the other major cruise lines specialty restaurants...and with that many people saying the same thing, I tend to believe them. My issue is wording, and whether NCL is lying to the public, and lying includes in my own definition, misleading or deceptive statements. :)

What the NCL 4/23/2013 Cagney's menu says is "Uncompromising standards ensure's that it is a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select..." ...clearly to state that the 4 choices are all above USDA Prime, and not to include the "Choice and Select" on the end of their statement would be a the best way to say their beef is above USDA Prime without the chance of deception...If it is uncovered that they are attempting to deceive...they will be paying for it for a long, long time, on the internet (a letter, worded correctly, requesting that information will be enough for me...whether they respond to the letter or not). :)

I hope that's not what the menu says or they need an editor in an EPIC way!

• 5 weeks later...