Family Oceanview vs. Family Promenade Stateroom on FOS

We have been booked in a Family Promenade Stateroom on Freedom and came across Cabins 9200 and 9250 which are direct Forward Facing Family Oceanview Staterooms. The prices are pretty much the same...

We are a Family of 5 so either Cabin is large enough...my issues is that I do get motion sickness so being direct Forward and on Deck 9 may kill me LOL..

Anyone have experiences or preferences for which one we should take? I do take Bonine and it helps...also, quite a walk from Direct Forward considering we are now Mid-Ship in the Fam. Prom...

Can you post what the sailing date and what the prices you were quoted? As these prices are not online, it would give me an idea of how much they cost relative to other cabin categories. Our friends are a family of 5 and they were wondering what the cost difference would be if they split into 2 cabins (say an inside and a balcony) vs. 5 in an family inside promenade or family ocean view.

Can you post what the sailing date and what the prices you were quoted? As these prices are not online, it would give me an idea of how much they cost relative to other cabin categories. Our friends are a family of 5 and they were wondering what the cost difference would be if they split into 2 cabins (say an inside and a balcony) vs. 5 in an family inside promenade or family ocean view.

We were quoted $3,300 I believe for the Family OV Stateroom...we are paying $3,000 and change for our Family Promenade Stateroom on the December 1 sailing....hope this helps. For 2 Insides we were quoted around $3,300 as well.

We were quoted $3,300 I believe for the Family OV Stateroom...we are paying $3,000 and change for our Family Promenade Stateroom on the December 1 sailing....hope this helps. For 2 Insides we were quoted around $3,300 as well.

Thank you, this is very helpful. So by my calculations, the 1st and 2nd pp prices (before taxes) would approximately be:

FO: $909 (Family Ocean view)

FP: $759 (Family Promenade)

Some other rates on this sailing are:

E2: $1049 (Balcony)

F: $799 (Large Ocean view)

I: $729 (Ocean view)

PR: $719 (Regular Promenade)

N: $659 (Inside)

The FO cabin is in between the cheapest balcony and most expensive ocean view (as expected), but more than I would have thought.

The FP cabin is actually more expensive that an ocean view cabin for 1st and 2nd persons.

We stayed in a Family Oceanview - 7500 on FOS last year. It was a great room! The forward looking view (out over the bow) was so different from a side room. Also, we had two large windows. We laughed about how we had the same view as the captain! Motion that far forward was not an issue. For us, the view was worth the extra money, and would book it again in a heartbeat!

Thank you, this is very helpful. So by my calculations, the 1st and 2nd pp prices (before taxes) would approximately be:

FO: $909 (Family Ocean view)

FP: $759 (Family Promenade)

Some other rates on this sailing are:

E2: $1049 (Balcony)

F: $799 (Large Ocean view)

I: $729 (Ocean view)

PR: $719 (Regular Promenade)

N: $659 (Inside)

The FO cabin is in between the cheapest balcony and most expensive ocean view (as expected), but more than I would have thought.

The FP cabin is actually more expensive that an ocean view cabin for 1st and 2nd persons.

actually, looking at our breakdown of prices: Our 1st and 2nd fares are listed at $909 with 3rd and 4th at $299. They have my eldest daughter as the 5th on a separate booking so I assume she is also listed at $299...

We stayed in a Family Oceanview - 7500 on FOS last year. It was a great room! The forward looking view (out over the bow) was so different from a side room. Also, we had two large windows. We laughed about how we had the same view as the captain! Motion that far forward was not an issue. For us, the view was worth the extra money, and would book it again in a heartbeat!

My wife wanted me to say yes to the offer when we spoke to somebody the first time but I wanted to investigate further. When she called back the second she spoke to someone else and a Supervisor and they both claimed we were given the fare for 4 guests only...kind of makes sense I wouldn't imagine an OV being the same price as what we booked...

How far in advance did u book family ov?

We sailed Freedom last November, in the family ocean view 9200.

I take bonine too, as I suffer from motion sickness , and the room was fine until

we got the second storm that came up after Sandy. I found it very hard to deal with, and it put a bit of a damper on the last couple days of the cruise. The room itself,Fantastic! Huge! loved it, was the biggest room I'd ever had on a cruise. And I had 4, yes 4 teenagers in there with us. lots of closet space, but most of their clothes ended up on the floor anyways! typical teens!::rolleyes:

We stayed in 8200 on Liberty and have that room booked again for Independence. We didn't notice any movement.

I will say if you can get 8200 or 8500 (second choice) the Family Oceanview is well worth the extra $300 for the room. I have lots of room photos if you are interested in seeing them.

We stayed in 8200 on Liberty and have that room booked again for Independence. We didn't notice any movement.

I will say if you can get 8200 or 8500 (second choice) the Family Oceanview is well worth the extra $300 for the room. I have lots of room photos if you are interested in seeing them.

the room does look great, but not sure how much better than the Promenade is. We have 3 kids, 2 under 6 so there would be extra walking to get anywhere. Right now we are midhip on deck 8 so it's ideal for us. Dunno if I would pay more for windows though even if it does look awesome..if you have some photo's sure pls share.

Edited by Redsfan

We have 3 as well as at the time of sailing our will be 6, almost 4 and 17 months. I didn't find the walk too bad last time when the kids were 4 and 18 mths. Depends on how much time you spend in your room.

photo.php?fbid=10201155319349732&set=a.10201155316949672.1073741826.1372334833&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F32635_10201155319349732_2088436014_n.jpg&size=960%2C64132635_10201155319349732_2088436014_n.jpg

15172_10201155318509711_708630443_n.jpg

391157_10201155317949697_1291514026_n.jpg

\297989_10201155319789743_2071841052_n.jpg

(someone had a hard time getting up our last day )

photo.php?fbid=10201155318509711&set=a.10201155316949672.1073741826.1372334833&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn1%2F15172_10201155318509711_708630443_n.jpg&size=960%2C641

Here are some photos of room 9200 on the Liberty (same as on the Freedom). It is an oceanview family cabin. We loved the space, but one bathroom for 6 (including 5 females) was a bit tough. I did feel more movement in this cabin that in most cabins, but it did not bother me (it never does). My DW did not feel so great a couple of days though in the cabin due to the movement.

Room7000-4_zpsaf255792.jpg

Room7000-5_zps7009ad79.jpg

Room7000-2_zps031d8d89.jpg

Private bedroom (closet sized space) for the kids, but they loved it.

Room7000-7_zps7d137ce7.jpg

The view from this room is PRICELESS. It is so unique, that the kids spent hours doing just what they are doing in the photo below.

Room7000-3_zpsb6234420.jpg

Edited by Russ Lomas
typo

Yup, that's exactly like the one on Freedom.

To solve the shower issue, all the teens went up one floor to the fitness area and showered there, as there were around 4-5 showers in there that no one ever used. They then ran back down, and got dressed for dinner. We were all able to get dressed at the same time.

Here are some photos of room 9200 on the Liberty (same as on the Freedom). It is an oceanview family cabin. We loved the space, but one bathroom for 6 (including 5 females) was a bit tough. I did feel more movement in this cabin that in most cabins, but it did not bother me (it never does). My DW did not feel so great a couple of days though in the cabin due to the movement.

Room7000-4_zpsaf255792.jpg

Room7000-5_zps7009ad79.jpg

Room7000-2_zps031d8d89.jpg

Private bedroom (closet sized space) for the kids, but they loved it.

Room7000-7_zps7d137ce7.jpg

The view from this room is PRICELESS. It is so unique, that the kids spent hours doing just what they are doing in the photo below.

Room7000-3_zpsb6234420.jpg

wow, it does look great. My wife fell in love with the idea until we called back to book and the price originally given to us was for 4, not 5!

What you have to understand is that when you are booking a FP cabin you are essentially getting a stateroom larger than a Junior Suite and with a lot of the same features (minus the balcony and double C+A points, of course). The FP has a walk-in closet and a bathtub just like a JS. Plus you are getting the ability to add up to 4 other people at the "3rd/4th" passenger rate. Sure passengers 1 and 2 are a bit more expensive than a comparable PR cabin, but when you factor in all 5 or 6 people in the cabin it certainly works out well.

What you have to understand is that when you are booking a FP cabin you are essentially getting a stateroom larger than a Junior Suite and with a lot of the same features (minus the balcony and double C+A points, of course). The FP has a walk-in closet and a bathtub just like a JS. Plus you are getting the ability to add up to 4 other people at the "3rd/4th" passenger rate. Sure passengers 1 and 2 are a bit more expensive than a comparable PR cabin, but when you factor in all 5 or 6 people in the cabin it certainly works out well.

No bathtub in 8200.

Love the photos, thanks for sharing. Do all family ocean views have two windows? I am still hunting down pictures for the Vision of the Seas Family Ocean view cabin but can't locate an updated photo.

I would say they have a min of 2 windows. 8200 has 3 on Liberty/Freedom/Independence and 8500 has 4.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting the pictures. We are booked in 8200 on the Freedom and have friends staying next door in 8500. Are the stateroom doors on the same hall? The ship's deck plans are a little ambiguous and we need to know where we should put our parents for easy access. Thanks!

Thanks for posting the pictures. We are booked in 8200 on the Freedom and have friends staying next door in 8500. Are the stateroom doors on the same hall? The ship's deck plans are a little ambiguous and we need to know where we should put our parents for easy access. Thanks!

You can get to the rooms from either hall. The rooms are both off the hall that run across the front of the ship.

Only issue with these rooms is the walk. On the 5 night with 2 kids it was no problem, on the 8 night with 3 kids, we were tired of walking at the end.