Help with corporate...

jdro

Then why did they allow me to switch rooms with my kids?

Why the need to harp on what I did wrong and not look at what the real problem is and that is how security handled the situation

Again it must be great to live a self righteous life and look down there nose at others....

Because the problem started with a 14yr old who didn't have an adult in the room as per the rules. It seems that security did their job.

Thank you for your input, I will wait to hear from NCL, instead of continuing this back and forth with you on how I brought this on by breaking the rules. I guess in your world everything is black and white, mine has some grey....

Stop!!! Twice now the OP has stated her 19 year old son was also in the room with her daughter. Does that not change the whole situation. Either the 19 year old agreed to allow his younger sister to go with them or he didn't. If he didn't, why did he not involve his parents in the middle of the night??? Both of them waiting until morning to tell mom and dad what happened seems really strange. A 19 year old is considered an adult in most situations, i.e. ready for the draft. With him being there along with the 14 year old, I would think that security had to believe they had to ok to get the daughter to help. To me, this changes the whole situation.

A missing child, security knew the daughter was "friend" with the missing child, a 19 year old was in the cabin and aware of what was happening, would this not lead security to believe they had the ok to get the daughters help???

Stop!!! Twice now the OP has stated her 19 year old son was also in the room with her daughter. Does that not change the whole situation. Either the 19 year old agreed to allow his younger sister to go with them or he didn't. If he didn't, why did he not involve his parents in the middle of the night??? Both of them waiting until morning to tell mom and dad what happened seems really strange. A 19 year old is considered an adult in most situations, i.e. ready for the draft. With him being there along with the 14 year old, I would think that security had to believe they had to ok to get the daughter to help. To me, this changes the whole situation.

A missing child, security knew the daughter was "friend" with the missing child, a 19 year old was in the cabin and aware of what was happening, would this not lead security to believe they had the ok to get the daughters help???

I don't see that security did anything wrong. Security well knows that everything outside the stateroom is on tape, they aren't gonna do something stupid. The 19 yr old is also under the age of being allowed to book a room. There is more to this story and we are not likely to hear it.

?.. I guess in your world everything is black and white, mine has some grey....

Jdro, I am sorry this happened to your daughter yet very thankful security did what they needed to do in as fast a manner possible for the sake of the other daughter. How come you are not seeing the grey here? No need to answer as my question is only meaning for you to see there is a lot of grey here. I have the upmost faith and respect for Norwegian's security and if they did not contact you at 4:30am in order to talk to your daughter, then my guess is that there was a darned good reason why not. A reported missing other fourteen year old at that time was the darned good reason. Again, sorry you experienced this on your vacation, but I guess I am in the minority that security acted appropriately and expeditiously...as I hope they continue to do.

Coka

In the first place they should not have done it for self-protection against bad rumors and prejudices as we can read in this thread.

To be honest it makes me sick that the assumption is that there were some dark thoughts involved at the security guys instead of believing that they did what they could to bring the missing child back to their worrying parents as soon as possible.

Wait a minute. Did anything unsavory happen to the child when she was with security? I don't think so. I think it would have been worse if they entered her room. Maybe they needed her to show them the places on the ship where she was with the other child. Conceivably they might have even told her they needed her help. Come on folks. Don't jump to conclusions. We do not know the entire story. As told by the OP, it's not the best senario but we are not privy to exact conversations.

Something similar happened to me and I was totally on the side of security because a CHILD WAS MISSING. I was woken up by security about 12:30 or 1 AM. THey were looking for a missing girl who had an early curfew and didn't return to her room. She was seen with my son who, buy the way, was staying in my room. I never asked if they contacted any other parent. So, an "Oh s##t" from me. I love my son as much as any mother but I was young once too and anything is a possibility. I asked if I could accompany them on a search and they agreed. We went all over the ship and finally found a group of 7 or 8 teens sitting quietly in the library talking. You would know it was one of the last places we thought they'd be. Really, a library???????? Security chewed them all out including the young lady who didn't go to her room. Security did their job. While it wasn't pleasant to listen to my child being yelled at, I had to agree that the situation put many people in states of anxiety and tension, including security. The missing child was found and I am sure the parents were relieved. And yes, it provided me with yet another parenting moment and a rethink about teens loose on a ship.

I feel very badly for these dedicated security officers. If I have the facts straight after reading this post: 1. Two sets of parents allow their 14 year old daughters to roam a ship with thousands of strangers aboard without any adult supervision. 2. Both young girls break their curfew and neither set of parents know the location of their own kids. 3. A young girl is located alone in a room registered to two adult males. The young woman who is a family member to the rooms registered occupants is supposed to be in the mothers room. So this could be the missing girl in need of protection. 4. Your daughter was not harmed in any way, she was simply asked if she knew the whereabouts of the other girl who could have been in grave danger for all any one knew at the time. 5. Your family violated cruise line policy in assigning the rooms and knew it because you filled out the form stating dad and brother were assigned to this room. And security is at fault...I don't think so. I have taken kids on ships, it is not safe for them to wander hallways where they could be pulled into a stateroom in a heartbeat. It is fortunate the second girl was located "safely". I can't begin to imagine the grief that would be imposed on the cruise line or it's security if one or both of them had been injured. I also give kudos to the security officers for monitoring the halls and trying to keep teens whose parents are busy having their own fun from disrupting the vacations and rest of other cruisers. Bottom line, your family broke many rules, both those of your own family and those of the cruise line. Your own lack of supervision is to blame in the security department having to become involved in the first place. Call me judgmental if you like, but I get tired of police officers, security guards, teachers, doctors, and other service providers being accused of misdeeds because some parent was not supervising their 14 year old CHILD between 1 and 4:30 in the morning. I hope that that when you do contact the cruise line, they remain firm in the enforcement of the many policies that your family and the other family involved so obviously disobeyed. In this situation the security guards did exactly the right thing to try and protect the life and safety of a missing girl...there should have been an adult in the cabin with your daughter, bottom line, no excuses. I will feel much more secure on my next Norwegian cruise knowing that they are vigilant in the protection of their cruisers.

Just out of curiosity does the air get thin up there on your high horse passing judgement on the OP

The fact is NCL have two contradictory policies in regards to minors in a room so it is a very grey area and one for a different topic and NCL to clarify:confused:

The concern of the OP in the original statements were in regards to the actions of the security personel and her treatment by the head of security when she asked why they had done what they had done.

This is perfectly resonable for the OP to be concerned about NCL's policies and requesting clarification from NCL as to the extent of their authority over guests children.

Can security take a child from the kids club without the consent of the parents to help look for a missing child?

I would be very concerned if this was the case

From the answers from NCL the OP can then make an informed decision on whether to travel with NCL again

Damon

Just out of curiosity does the air get thin up there on your high horse passing judgement on the OP

The fact is NCL have two contradictory policies in regards to minors in a room so it is a very grey area and one for a different topic and NCL to clarify:confused:

The concern of the OP in the original statements were in regards to the actions of the security personel and her treatment by the head of security when she asked why they had done what they had done.

This is perfectly resonable for the OP to be concerned about NCL's policies and requesting clarification from NCL as to the extent of their authority over guests children.

Can security take a child from the kids club without the consent of the parents to help look for a missing child?

I would be very concerned if this was the case

From the answers from NCL the OP can then make an informed decision on whether to travel with NCL again

Damon

I too share these concerns. I detest that that security took a young girl out of her bed without parental consent. The OP did not mind her daughter helping, but the bottom line for me is that they needed mom's consent first.

When booked my husband and son were assigned in the room that she was sleeping in, my daughter missed her curfew by 1/2 hour and my son and husband went looking for her and when they found security told them which rooms we were in (they were next door to each other) that is how they new which room was hers there was no search through computers. They did not take her into the hallway to question her they took her to another floor looking for this girl. Hopefully to all of you that believe I should be taking responsibility, believe me my daughter was dealt with, curfew etc. this is not how it should have been handled, because if one of my kids was causing trouble you know security would have found me regardless of room assignments.

I guess until you experience the unsettling feeling we had during our cruise then you wouldn't understand it.

To make this clear in my mind I have two questions--(1)what time was your daughters curfew?----- (2) you stated " my son and husband went looking for her and when they found security told them which rooms we were in" Does that mean that your husband knew what was going on and know that they were going to question your daughter"?

excellent point. however,hopefully they knew he was her brother and that the parents were across the hall. To think that the 19yo was authorized to ok the removal of his sister is a bit of a stretch, but one never knows how these security officers are thinking.

from the Brithish security chief..down to the mass NCL security force made up of Filipinos.

and yes, it is important to distinguish their nationality as that may have something to do with their actions..based on their cultural norms. To not recognize this is ignorant.

someone posted earlier that security from certain area are excellent in hand to hand combat with pirates..and if I were in charge of hiring a security force, that would definitely be a point to consider when staffing the force.

To make this clear in my mind I have two questions--(1)what time was your daughters curfew?----- (2) you stated " my son and husband went looking for her and when they found security told them which rooms we were in" Does that mean that your husband knew what was going on and know that they were going to question your daughter"?

She said that her 14 year old's curfew was 1:00am, and they went looking for her at 1:30am :eek:

I'm sure that securiy didn't know, at that point, that they'd be looking for another young girl at 4:30am. And I don't think that you can just assume that it was the same security person handling both issues (2 young girls missing, in a floating city, after curfew, 3 hours apart, in the wee hours of the morning).

No matter what happened, it's just common sense that security should contact a minor's parents before removing them from a cabin at 4:30am. If that's not how they've been trained, their training needs to be adjusted, and OP is right to point it out to corporate.

This thread points out many good lessons for parents who think they can trust their teens, or ship security.

The young lady was not arrested she was just asked to help look for a missing young girl. The fact that a 19 year old (OPs son) was present when this happened changes things. Does anyone else see a mountain being made out of a mole hill here? OP sorry this happened to you but as you stated life isn't black and white it is grey sometimes and a young lady had been missing for over 3 hours on a cruise ship (going by your timeline) qualifies for the grey area and would mean security needed to step things up and they did. Sometimes things happen we don’t like and there is no one to throw a rock at and this is one of those times you just need to move on bottom line is all young people involved are safe and sound. As a parent of two daughters and two granddaughters I appreciate the effort to locate the missing girl.

Archived