Help with corporate...

jdro

Hi, any help will be welcome, we were on the Gem March 22-30, and had an incident with security and my 14 year old daughter. I would like to know who I can speak to/e-mail in corporate, after a month this is still bothering me and want to make sure they have better judgement if this ever happens again.

Thanks

Jennifer

Hi, any help will be welcome, we were on the Gem March 22-30, and had an incident with security and my 14 year old daughter. I would like to know who I can speak to/e-mail in corporate, after a month this is still bothering me and want to make sure they have better judgement if this ever happens again.

Thanks

Jennifer

Did you address this on the ship?

Yes I did and the head security was not to apologetic or concerned with the situation, was just making excuses for the language barrier, my daughter was removed from her room at 4:30 in the morning by 2 security officers to look for a "missing" girl that she was with earlier, I would not have minded helping look for the girl but I would have liked to have known, I am just fearful that this is common practice and was really disturbed by the events

Yes I did and the head security was not to apologetic or concerned with the situation, was just making excuses for the language barrier, my daughter was removed from her room at 4:30 in the morning by 2 security officers to look for a "missing" girl that she was with earlier, I would not have minded helping look for the girl but I would have liked to have known, I am just fearful that this is common practice and was really disturbed by the events

I would be very disturbed also. Please let us know how this turns out.

I encourage you to press forward with this, jdro, and am behind you all the way. I would would not blame you for screaming bloody murder at this point!!!! I know you must have been SO upset! A 14 year old is NOT of legal age and should NEVER have been 'removed from her room' by security or anyone in command!

Sorry, just my mama instincts reacting.

NCL, please make this right and assure us about this issue!

As a mother I can certainly understand your concern in regards to your daughter and the hour at which security came to her door.

Was there not an adult in the cabin when security came knocking on the door at that hour? If there was then the adult assigned to that cabin is the one who is responsible for the minor at that point.

If there was no adult in the cabin I imagine you will hear from corporate that there should have been. It is likely that they will not accept responsibility for any switching of cabins that might have been done once onboard.

I am not meaning to take away from your concern as a parent, just playing devils advocate here and trying to see things on the other side for a moment.

Rochelle

Thanks for looking at the other side, but my main concern is my daughter or for that matter any under aged passenger, they did not knock on my door to let me know that they needed my daughters help, I am not looking for anything from NCL but hopefully a policy change, they did not ask for permission which regardless of who was in the room with her they should have asked if it was OK, they just instructed her to come with them, which naively my daughter did, hopefully this never happens to you.

Thanks for looking at the other side, but my main concern is my daughter or for that matter any under aged passenger, they did not knock on my door to let me know that they needed my daughters help, I am not looking for anything from NCL but hopefully a policy change, they did not ask for permission which regardless of who was in the room with her they should have asked if it was OK, they just instructed her to come with them, which naively my daughter did, hopefully this never happens to you.

I am sorry as it appears you have taken my post the wrong way.

I am in no way a fan of ship security as I myself have previously had an unpleasant and unsatisfactory experience with them in the past and on a different cruise line. I have heard the ship security 'excuses' before. My intention in posting was just pointing out what you will likely hear from the corporate side.

We are entitled and expect certain things on land in terms of personal security and how we are dealt with when interacting with security staff (police). Unfortunately the same expectations do not always apply once we board a ship. It can come as quite a shock when you find this out first hand and at the time you can feel helpless on how to remedy the situation.

As I mentioned in my previous post I can completely understand why you would be upset. My apologies once again if you felt in any way I was being critical.

Rochelle

This is not ok! They had NO right to enter your daughters room and or tell your daughter to go anywhere without your consent! She was not accused of any wrong doing, or in a situation that required her removal. They needed your permission to get her out of her bed.

This is not ok! They had NO right to enter your daughters room and or tell your daughter to go anywhere without your consent! She was not accused of any wrong doing, or in a situation that required her removal. They needed your permission to get her out of her bed.

Thank you

I am sorry as it appears you have taken my post the wrong way.

I am in no way a fan of ship security as I myself have previously had an unpleasant and unsatisfactory experience with them in the past and on a different cruise line. I have heard the ship security 'excuses' before. My intention in posting was just pointing out what you will likely hear from the corporate side.

We are entitled and expect certain things on land in terms of personal security and how we are dealt with when interacting with security staff (police). Unfortunately the same expectations do not always apply once we board a ship. It can come as quite a shock when you find this out first hand and at the time you can feel helpless on how to remedy the situation.

As I mentioned in my previous post I can completely understand why you would be upset. My apologies once again if you felt in any way I was being critical.

Rochelle

No offense taken, your response is similar to the head security officers apology "sorry, but..." I think it is time for corporate to think outside the box and not give a stock answer, sometimes common sense needs to be used, and that is what I am hoping for, for them to take responsibility for their employees, train and educate them better on procedure and also if she was the one causing trouble they would have known exactly where to find me.

Jennifer

Why don't you tell us all what happened? Your daughter was hanging out with a new friend, the friend was missing, security came to a cabin registered to you that had no adult in it and took your daughter into the hall to ask questions about the missing girl without waking you up? Am I reading this right?

My son is hell bent on bringing a friend on one of our B2B segments this summer and I am dreading it. I'm praying the family says no. I can just imagine this kind of thing happening.

Please let us know what happened so we can weigh in. I'm sure you'll find that the majority of us parents will be very supportive.

That is crazy, and I would have been livid! She is a minor, and they had no right. In fact, it's downright scary that they did that. They should have come and gotten you.

1) WHERE WAS THE ADULT OR RESPONSIBLE PARTY IN THAT ROOM AT 4:30am???

2) Why would security have to seek the parents approval to question her daughter. THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN ADULT IN THAT ROOM!!!

HELLO IS ANYONE HOME...

There is a huge missing piece of this puzzle.

I'm very interested how the OP assigned the cabin manifest.

Sorry Rydan, yes there should be an adult but...... if you want to sell out rooms, then you book parents and one room and the kids next door.... it happens all too much and I done that too - they want to sell out the ship after all. Come on cruise industry, if you deal with a minor (no matter where the come from). Get their adult involved and save everyone some sleep! When dealing with a kid, they need need to stop and ONLY and ONLY ask where their parents are ask the questions to those parents. Just my opinion.

1) WHERE WAS THE ADULT OR RESPONSIBLE PARTY IN THAT ROOM AT 4:30am???

2) Why would security have to seek the parents approval to question her daughter. THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN ADULT IN THAT ROOM!!!

HELLO IS ANYONE HOME...

There is a huge missing piece of this puzzle.

I'm very interested how the OP assigned the cabin manifest.

1. Parents are not required to be in a room after a child's curfew, the child is.

2. Connecting rooms may absolutely be booked without a parent in the room.

3. Security should have approached the parents or at the very least inquired as to the whereabouts of the minor's legal guardians and located them prior to proceeding. The information is in their computers and very easily accessed.

This needs to be addressed for all of our children. I am sailing in May on the Gem with my children ages 14, 12 and 10. I wish to be assured that my children will not be plucked from their beds by security at will in the middle of the night without my knowledge or consent!

Cherie

When booked my husband and son were assigned in the room that she was sleeping in, my daughter missed her curfew by 1/2 hour and my son and husband went looking for her and when they found security told them which rooms we were in (they were next door to each other) that is how they new which room was hers there was no search through computers. They did not take her into the hallway to question her they took her to another floor looking for this girl. Hopefully to all of you that believe I should be taking responsibility, believe me my daughter was dealt with, curfew etc. this is not how it should have been handled, because if one of my kids was causing trouble you know security would have found me regardless of room assignments.

I guess until you experience the unsettling feeling we had during our cruise then you wouldn't understand it.

Please do let us know if you get anything out of NCL regarding this matter. No matter what the situation was, all it would have taken was a quick question as to where her parents were and to knock on the door and let you know another child was missing. I agree, a little thinking and reasoning should have been used.

Let’s see security has a missing teenage girl at 4:30 AM they knock on the door of another teenage girl that is a good the source for the missing girls last known location. Your daughter must have been alone since all it would have taken if someone was with her was for them to let you know. Did security break protocol yes they did but bet they had another set of freaked out parents they were trying to help do you really want to think of all the possibilities on that side. Sorry this happened to you hopefully your daughter was a help and there were no real injuries in this episode.

Could security have handled this in a better way----YES! However, they had to let your daughter get dressed right, why didn't she call you? In an adjoining room she could have knocked on the door or called? Did she ask security to let her talk to you??

I'm not a pilgrim nor amish, but, even though many suggest and many actually do allow minor children to have their own room, NCL does not allow it. This is one of the reasons why, minor children do not always make sound decisions. Was there no one else assigned to this room, your daughter was the only one living in the room? Where was her brother or another adult?

If you felt your daughter was mature enough to have her own room and make her own decisions about her safety I would think there was a discussion with her before hand about what she should do?

Could security have handled this in a better way----YES! However, they had to let your daughter get dressed right, why didn't she call you? In an adjoining room she could have knocked on the door or called? Did she ask security to let her talk to you??

I'm not a pilgrim nor amish, but, even though many suggest and many actually do allow minor children to have their own room, NCL does not allow it. This is one of the reasons why, minor children do not always make sound decisions. Was there no one else assigned to this room, your daughter was the only one living in the room? Where was her brother or another adult?

If you felt your daughter was mature enough to have her own room and make her own decisions about her safety I would think there was a discussion with her before hand about what she should do?

A 14-year old, or anyone under duress, does not always have the wherewithal to stop and think to "call mom". The adult (aka security) should have known better than to take a child from her cabin in the middle of the night without the parents consent. If that happened in a U.S. hotel, they would have been fired and quite possibly arrested.

Edited - I'm not disagreeing with you about kids being in a cabin by themselves, but that doesn't change the fact that NCL was dead wrong on this.

Archived