Thinking about Disney

MrsZee

With the really awesome deals going on in Galveston right now, I am considering my first Disney cruise this October. We were really hoping to move up in size from the Carnival ships we have been on and looking at the Carnival Magic out of Galveston. The Disney Wonder cruise is only $500 more, so not that big of a difference. But, then comparing the Disney Wonder to the Disney Fantasy... suddenly I want to try the Fantasy. But, that is a HUGE jump in price. $1500 more than the Magic cruise, $1000 more than the Wonder cruise. Is the Fantasy worth it? Can I still get the Disney cruise experience on the Wonder or will I be disappointed and wish that I had gone on one of the newest Carnival ships?

Thank you!

I have only been on the Fantasy but from what I've read many people enjoy the smaller ships as much if not more. Since they are having really good deals out of Galveston (before DCL leaves there), I would be inclined to go ahead and try that. If you love the Disney experience as much as most do, you can always try the Fantasy for your next cruise.

We did the Magic last March. It is my personal opinion that Disney is really focusing on the Fantasy and the Dream. We had a great cruise, but I think we would have enjoyed the Fantasy more. But pay $1500 more to do so? Nope.

Our first and only Disney cruise was on the Magic 12 years ago and she was beautiful and we always wanted to return but the price was an obstacle. We have since cruised on 10 other lines for a total of 24 cruises (we are older). Now that we can cruise out of peak season, we got a good deal and are sailing on the Dream next month. It is tough to say whether I would pay a $1500 premium. You didn't say whether you have any kids going with you. I can only say that our Disney cruise was probably the most memorable and our kids still talk about it at ages 27, 24 and 21. I hope that helps.

Yes, I'll have a 5 year old with me. I really think I will make it a Disney cruise, now I'm just wondering what makes the Fantasy worth so much more than the Wonder, if anything.

From what I have read on another thread, at least part of the reason for lower prices on the Wonder is that Disney has had a hard time selling cabins out of Galveston.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826557

We just booked our first ever cruise. We booked the October 19th sailing out of Galveston. Our dates for this vacation is what dictated this itinerary, but I did cross compare with a couple other cruise lines and other DCL itineraries. As a first time cruiser, this seems like a very affordable way to test the waters, and try it out. From what I've read, DCL's customer service is spectacular.

And from what I have experienced thus far, they are awesome. I booked our cruise online, and didn't book ground transportation and had no clue how we were getting from the airport to Galveston from IAH (70+ miles away), or how we would get back to the airport, especially since we get in a day before the cruise, and fly out a day after. We called DCL and they helped us book a hotel in Galveston and it was only a little more than what we could book on our own, the rep also setup the ground transport from the airport to the hotel, and helped us figure out transportation after the cruise, as we would be leaving the day after the cruise ended. She suggested a hotel right next to the airport and suggested we book it on our own, as the price through DCL was higher, and since it was located next to the airport we wouldn't have to book through them. Helping us with ground transport saved us $250+ for either an airport shuttle, rental car one way to Galveston or taxi...

I also found a promo code several days after we revised our booking to include the ground transport and pre night hotel. I emailed them late late Saturday night, and before I woke up on Sunday they responded and revised my booking which gave me $200 on board credit!

So far, just in terms of sales reps they've been great.

Anyways, $2600 for a deluxe veranda room 7A GTY with $200 on board credit, ground transport, and pre-night hotel, seems like a great deal for a 7 day cruise (compared to a regular vacation, hotel, meals, car rental , activities, etc). And from all the reviews I've read thus far, is that it doesn't really matter what ship you are on, you will still get the same great service and experience.

Yes, I'll have a 5 year old with me. I really think I will make it a Disney cruise, now I'm just wondering what makes the Fantasy worth so much more than the Wonder, if anything.

I have not been on the Fantasy, but I was on the Wonder last month with my brother-in-law and his family, including my five year old niece. We had a great time and my niece had the time of her life. She LOVED everything about the cruise. The ship is in good condition. I had a balcony cabin and thought it was perfect - quite large compared to other cabins I've had on other lines. My family was in a two-bedroom suite, so their experience was, of course, even more special. The service is top-notch. A lot of attention to detail. We thought the food was very good. Our servers were terrific. We only went to one show ("Toy Story") and it was very entertaining. The adults thought it was a little long, but my niece loved it.

All in all, it was a great cruise.

If you can get a good deal on the Wonder, I say go for it.

The last DCL ship I was on was the Fantasy, the next I'm booked on is the Magic. Honestly, while the Fantasy is amazingly beautiful and totally high tech, the Magic is warmer and more "friendly." I honestly like the size of the Magic much better.

Bottom line--you can't go wrong with either. We've done the Wonder too, but not as recently.

Is the Fantasy worth it?

I didn't have the opportunity to cruise Disney Fantasy yet, but this is what fellow cruisecritic members say ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Overall&sort=large

... best cabins, best entertainment, best families, best public rooms, best service, and best overall in the large ship category. I think they mean something. Whether it is worth it or not, I don't know.

I would definitely do the Wonder. The Fantasy is awesome, but your daughter may not be tall enough to go on the Aquaduck (you can check on DCL website for the height requirement, but my 5 yr old just made the cutoff - and that is only to go with an adult, of course). That is one of the "bells and whistles" the Fantasy has over the Wonder. It also has some tech stuff - virtual portholes for inside rooms, the mid-ship detective agency, and a bigger more decked out kids club - that the Wonder doesn't.

But honestly, she will LOVE the Wonder, especially if she is into Disney and the characters. The lines for the princesses and other characters will be shorter on the Wonder because it holds about half as many people. The kids club on the Wonder are amazing and the characters come in there all the time. The servers and all the cast members on DCL make the kids feel so special. It is so fun to be waiting at the elevator and Stitch comes up and hugs your kid. Or Mickey Mouse high fives him when he passes him in the hall. The Mickey pool and slide is awesome.

Later on, if you go on the Fantasy she might say she might like that better because of the Aquaduck, but she won't even know that she is missing it on the Wonder.

We've done the Wonder, Magic and Fantasy. On our Wonder California coast cruise we only got off at one of the three stops - kids said they would rather stay on the ship and play. On the Fantasy cruise we skipped all the ports except Castaway Cay.

Anyway, if you can't tell, our family LOVES LOVES LOVES DCL.

PS You may want to do Fish Extenders if you go - kids love that too!!!

I have only been on the Wonder but my Wife as also been on the Dream. You will not be disappointed in the Wonder. She is a very nice ship. The Fantasy is much more expensive in part because it is the newest Disney ship in the fleet. As such, there is much higher demand. The Wonder is newer than the Magic, which is slated for a makeover very soon.

Archived