Juneau - dog sleds

cruisinlawn

any vendors you can book with direct for flight/dog sled that are not affiliated with cruise lines? TIA

This would be for Juneau in late July.

I know coastal does this. Just search coastal helicopter

Which dog sled tour? If the glacier dog sledding, there area three companies who offer this. ERA, TEMSCO, Coastal. The drive up, cart ride, is a cruiseline tour, who in the past, did not take independent bookings.

we want glacier sledding. Isn't Temsco contracted with cruise line? We'll be on Princess. I'll be contacting Coastal to day to follow up with them.

I have personally booked INDEPENDENT with all three of the companies I listed. It will depend on what they have available.

Simply google the companies, their web site phone and email should let you know exactly what they offer, when and for how much.

Downside for booking direct was that you commit the $ upfront with only cancelation being weather. If you reserve thru the cruise line it is turn key, you likely have a day or two on the boat to decide to cancel, and you don't pay till you settle your bill at the end of the cruise.

We booked private, there was more hassle with travel/pickup but beyond that saved a few $$ / person, and for 5 people that was worth it :D

Simply google the companies, their web site phone and email should let you know exactly what they offer, when and for how much.

Downside for booking direct was that you commit the $ upfront with only cancelation being weather. If you reserve thru the cruise line it is turn key, you likely have a day or two on the boat to decide to cancel, and you don't pay till you settle your bill at the end of the cruise.

We booked private, there was more hassle with travel/pickup but beyond that saved a few $$ / person, and for 5 people that was worth it :D

I already listed all the inside passage companies above. there are 3 in Juneau, 1 in Skagway.

Pardon my ignorance but whom all should we anticipate tipping on this type excursion? It seems there will be the shuttle driver, office staff, heli pilot whom will also serve as guide and then the folks at dog camp. We don't take issue with it rather would like to be prepared and not overlook anyone. TIA:)

we want glacier sledding. Isn't Temsco contracted with cruise line? We'll be on Princess. I'll be contacting Coastal to day to follow up with them.

Every time I've contacted TEMSCO (3 times between October and February -- kept checking back to see if anything changed) they've told me I cannot book direct; I must book via my cruiseline.

Pardon my ignorance but whom all should we anticipate tipping on this type excursion? It seems there will be the shuttle driver, office staff, heli pilot whom will also serve as guide and then the folks at dog camp. We don't take issue with it rather would like to be prepared and not overlook anyone. TIA:)

I suggest you consider the shuttle driver, pilot, and sled dog driver.

I have been on several Alaskan cruises.....and I live here....and I have a sled dog kennel outside of Anchorage. Coastal in my opinion, has the most experienced dog sled drivers in Juneau.....(on the glacier)...All have major racing experience with either Iditarod, Yukon Quest or numerous mid distance races. They are independent, do not go through the cruise lines, and have set up multiple camps so if the weather is not good at one, they can go to another. It is absolutely beautiful up on the Herbert Glacier and you have a decent chance of seeing an avalanche from a safe distance. I have, every time I have been there...Last year some of my dogs were there and I know that they were well cared for and had a wonderful summer vacation in the snow...They also speak several different languages between all of the drivers...Spanish, German, French, Czech and, of course, English....:):D

icon1.gif

Been trying to get in touch with this company. Very interested in their glacier trek in Juneau. emailed, called, and left messages with no responses. I know its the off-season but every other company we contacted since Feb has gotten right back to us. Has anyone taken their glacier trek or used this company before? they also do whale watching and flight trips.:confused: thanks

icon1.gif

Been trying to get in touch with this company. Very interested in their glacier trek in Juneau. emailed, called, and left messages with no responses. I know its the off-season but every other company we contacted since Feb has gotten right back to us. Has anyone taken their glacier trek or used this company before? they also do whale watching and flight trips.:confused: thanks

They are NOT the operator, you are using a booking agent. (which I NEVER recommend)

IF you want to do a glacier trek then book DIRECT with the vendor, Northstar Trekking. I only recommend the level 3 tour, you absolutely need ALL that time, which is short to begin with. Especially don't consider the level 1, this attracts anyone and everyone, unfortunately this tour is only going to go as fast and far as the slowest person, something to really avoid on a tour of this type and cost.

When booking excursions and spa treatments prior to our Spring break cruise with Royal Caribbean, my Credit card was charged right away. Canceling was easy and I got credit, but you are paying upfront.

I suggest you consider the shuttle driver, pilot, and sled dog driver.

I also thank you for this. It didn't occur to me to tip the sled dog driver. I might have figured it out on the spot that it would be appropriate, but if I hadn't thought about it in advance I may not have had the tip $ on me. Yikes! :eek::o

Archived