Questions before booking my Qantas flight...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help - Qantas have released a sale for my dates in Feb 2014.

The most direct route to get to my destination is SYD - DALLAS - SJU. This is $1718 - rack rate is $2850.

If I were to build the trip myself, flying from SYD to LAX, the LAX to SJU we could get it for about $1500 but that would be different tickets / airlines & an overnight stop in LAX which we aren't keen on.

I actually live in ADL, if we were to depart & return to ADL the price increased to $1995. Difference of $277 each.

I was tempted ot just book it from the Qantas site, but then decided to call the TA who i used for the cruise book to see what they could offer - a price beat of $1. mmm... without naming names, are there aussie TA"s that could do better than this?

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go with the TA or book it myself? Anything I should be checking before making the booking? I'm a little nervous as it's so far away....

I would seriously look at a stopover in LAX. You're looking at a very long haul flight, especially when your origin of travel is Adelaide.

There's nothing like a nice shower and a bed to refresh you along they way. That way you won't be so exhausted and jetlagged on arrival at your final destination.

Jill :)

As for TAs I rarely use one these days and usually book direct through the airline. The fact that ours charges $50 to supply tickets (i.e. a printed A4 sheet with the itinerary and PNR) and another well known one has all sorts of extra charges for payment options means I can usually do better myself.

Check the fine print on sale fares as sometimes they can be quite restrictive.

I have only used an online discount site a couple of times and last time was very unhappy with the flights arranged.

A stop over in LAX would be what I would want but I do know people who like to do all the flying at once.

Get the travel insurance when you pay the flights for peace of mind. Given the price difference it probably is worth buying now IMO

As for TAs I rarely use one these days and usually book direct through the airline. The fact that ours charges $50 to supply tickets (i.e. a printed A4 sheet with the itinerary and PNR) and another well known one has all sorts of extra charges for payment options means I can usually do better myself.
Or you can print out what you've seen on the airline's website, take it to a very well known TA, get them to price beat it for $1 per person, and then they don't charge you for ticketing or CC fees...

Hello,

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go with the TA or book it myself? Anything I should be checking before making the booking? I'm a little nervous as it's so far away....

You either book it yourself and accept to feel "a little nervous" for one year or let someone who knows what they are doing do it. Then it's their responsibility to take care of what needs to be done. And yes, it's not free.

I think they are only nervous as its so far away. That doesn't change whether booked online or by TA.

Yes, nerves due to how long we still have to wait!!

Interesting point we the cancellation fee though, i will enquire with the TA. Thank you for the heads up.

I'm leaning towards the dallas route as we simply want to get to the destination - especially as we don't have very long in PR (2.5weeks).

Although, access to the Qantas lounge would be nice. Had a quick browse & it looks as if AA offer a 30 membership for $99 & allows 2 guests. So that would be lovely, but I'm yet to find out if as an Australian resident this can be purchased. ( i don't think that Qantas offer anything but an annual membership)

We have done this trip numerous times and have done both ways.... ie. straight through and stopovers in LAX. If you have never been to LAX you are in for a treat. (Worst airport IMHO) We have had stopovers of 11 hours and spent them in this godawful airport and other times we just book into a "day hotel" near the airport for a shower, meal and nap.... costs around $80 with free shuttle to and from the airport. Worth every cent if you don't have to spend the time at LAX!

Next year we are flying to Southhampton England and because we will be doing the TA to NY are going to get return tickets to NY and fly one way to Southhampton. Much cheaper than one ways to London and one way from New York. We have been looking at the Qantas flight via Dallas..... and that is probably which way we will go.... anything is better than that stopover in LA.

I have never used a TA to book flights or accommodation anywhere in the world.... you can do it yourself and choose the flights yourself.... I research and find which airline does it cheaper and then research the airline. We only fly on the well known ones (Qantas, V Australia, Emirates, Singapore, Malaysia, Hawaiian, Southwest and Delta etc).

If Qantas has a sale on get online to the Qantas website (not webjet or other online TA's.... they charge fees) and book it, then book your travel insurance. :D

Have a look at the Australian Frequent Flyer site and you may find you have lounge access through AA as they are a OW member. The QFF discussion board might have the answer or you can post and ask. Many of the posters are big time flyers with all the info.

I have never used a TA to book flights or accommodation anywhere in the world.... you can do it yourself and choose the flights yourself.... I research and find which airline does it cheaper and then research the airline. We only fly on the well known ones (Qantas' date=' V Australia, Emirates, Singapore, Malaysia, Hawaiian, Southwest and Delta etc).

If Qantas has a sale on get online to the Qantas website (not webjet or other online TA's.... they charge fees) and book it, then book your travel insurance. :D[/quote']

I would never use a TA who charges fees. In fact, I'm waiting to get a hold of moment at this current moment in point. Both state that they will price beat - so i have foudn anohter webite that offers a $50 sign up voucher & another with no credit card fees. Let's see who can give me the best package. My worst nightmare would be a cancallation / delay & have to battle it out withthe airline like 1000's of others - would rather contact the TA so they can deal with it.

Keep you updated on how this booking goes!

IMHO, I would book the flight via DFW, customs are so much better there than LAX and the ease, cost and flights times make this selection worth it. It may even be possible that you do not need to go through US customs so that is also an advantage. There are several hotels within the DFW complex of terminals so if you need a rest/stopover that is feasable as well.:D

Please be careful with that travel agency who offers to give you a better price. We found out the hard way when we looked into cancelling or changing our flights.

I checked out the prices with the airline direct then went to the TA who bettered the deal BUT what I didn't realise till later was that she put in a NO cancellation cause into the contract. If I had booked thro the airline there was a small fee to change or cancel. Be warned!!!

Have a look at the Australian Frequent Flyer site and you may find you have lounge access through AA as they are a OW member. The QFF discussion board might have the answer or you can post and ask. Many of the posters are big time flyers with all the info.

Thank you for the heads up - i've found 'flyer talk' & posted. I can't find whether australian residents can purchase this AA 30 Day membership which would be awesome.

You can, a friend is currently travelling around the US and has utilised this program, costs $99.:D

Wohoo!! That is potentially $99 for 2 pax 7 x times! $7 per visit per person. AND I can let another guest in also..if anyone is hanging aroudn the lounge i can invite them along.

It looks like you can only buy them 3 months out. Ithink it may be my xmas pressie :)

Although, access to the Qantas lounge would be nice. Had a quick browse & it looks as if AA offer a 30 membership for $99 & allows 2 guests. So that would be lovely, but I'm yet to find out if as an Australian resident this can be purchased. ( i don't think that Qantas offer anything but an annual membership)

Hi,

Look on ebay for lounge tickets. There are plenty there for a good price. Just check the expiry dates.

Have a great trip.

Raina

I agree with the Dallas options. LAX is HORRIBLE. It really is the worst in the word IMHO.

I have done the overnight thing there and it took over three hours from landing to arriving at the airport hotel (which was basic and expensive) in the evening and another three hours in the morning.

Kind of defeated the purpose of having a relaxing night at a hotel.

Raina

I bought QANTAS flights in January from SYD to Dallas to Orlando, then returning from NEW York to Brisbane (stopover in LA).

I chose the Dallas option because it is 13 hours to LA vs 15 hours to Dallas (from Sydney) ... We live on the Gold Coast so will be flying BNE to SYD first then SYD to Dallas, 3 hour layover then on to Orlando.

If we flew from Brisbane it would have been

BNE to LA - 13 hours, then LA to Dallas 6 hours, then Dallas to Orlando 2.5 hrs - total hours 21.5

compared

SYD to Dallas 15 hours , Dallas to Orlando 2.5 - total 17.5 hours, if we add the BNE to SYD 1 .5 hours - it's still less flying time.

I have heard many good reports about the direct flight from SYD to DFW and also that the customs and processing is much better as it is not as busy as LAX.

We have travelled through LAX - its a crazy airport - yes something you should do in your lifetime but not a necessity.

I booked through a TA - well known one and my agent told me if I want to chance anything they would be happy to let me do it myself through QANTAS so save the fee that they charge. Just shop around and if it makes you feel less nervous to use a TA then do so. That's why I do - just for the extra support.

But agree with others too, you can book online and you can buy travel insurance online but make sure you know exactly what you are doing.

Travel agents can make sure that all your flights are ticketed together for ease of checking in and transiting thru multiple airports in another country.

Just my humble opinion.

Thank you all of your help!

After what feels like a millions emails / phonecalls I FINALLY booked our flight for our cruise. So xcited!!

I ended up going with departing from ADL to SJU (via Dallas) & returnign to SYD. I want to spend a few days there beofre coming home but it's too far away to decide how many etc.

I was able to get a $50 off the total cost (due to a sign up email promotion) & removal of booking & credit card fees. So I'm happy. I saved over $1k EACH by monitoring the Qantas sale. Thank you again for all your help.

Now I'm off to enquire about travel insurance....

Thank you all of your help!

After what feels like a millions emails / phonecalls I FINALLY booked our flight for our cruise. So xcited!!

I ended up going with departing from ADL to SJU (via Dallas) & returnign to SYD. I want to spend a few days there beofre coming home but it's too far away to decide how many etc.

I was able to get a $50 off the total cost (due to a sign up email promotion) & removal of booking & credit card fees. So I'm happy. I saved over $1k EACH by monitoring the Qantas sale. Thank you again for all your help.

Now I'm off to enquire about travel insurance....

Good luck.:D

Archived