Vacations other than cruises

farbster

Where else are people vacationing? I think there are very few cruises worth doing (I'm not interested in visiting Rome by cruise or going to Amsterdam on a cruise and then saying I've been to those cities and Caribbean cruises do not appeal at all...

Any great resorts or cities? Not interested in the typical European cities like London/Paris/Rome etc.

I can't imagine that everyone here only travels by cruise right?

We go to Vienna seveal times a year .... it's our favourite European capital. It is completely different as the seasons change. This year I have threatened to run a Wurstel Stall Safari.

Singapore a couple of times a year .. and we are fortunate to have a beach house in Devon where we spend a bit of the summer as well as shorter trips in spring and autumn.

We have distilled our travel from variety to returning to our favourite places. I don't do surprises as well as I use to and I love my own beds and pillows.

I agree about Vienna. I haven't been there since 1985 however :(

I was thinking next year of doing a land trip to include Paris and then maybe Lake Como instead of a cruise. The cruises during our window are not great (end July into August).

To vacation we usually only cruise.

It is the only way to get dh to completely stop working. We also spend a week at a resort in Nova Scotia with family but he puts in a few hours or more a day there (and has been known to take day trips into the city for meetings.) On a cruise, I've mostly got him to myself (except when we go to cities where we have contacts....)

That being said, he's hiking in the Andes next month. I'm staying home - I'm afraid of heights. And camping.

I owe him a safari in South Africa and maybe a trip to Victoria falls. Then I'm done with Africa.

We'll spend a few days in Iceland but that's linked to our next cruise.

I realized that cruising wasn't getting to the 'middle' of things so we took a river cruise on Tauck a few years ago. It isn't for me (I'm a sea days girl) but it was very good and the tours were superb. If I was to take a land based tour or another river cruise, I'd use Tauck because they were fantastic.

For work we travel extensively so take apartments in cities around the world. But those are work/vacation, not solely vacation. For that I need to get us onto the ocean and away from high-speed internet.

We're going (with a Master Gardener (DW's) group) to Cuba in October for nine days so she can see the tropical gardens, flowers. On the other hand I will seek out tobacco leafs rolled :) and vintage Chevy's.

Hi Lawrence, pls see Frommer's link below...key point:

The Treasury Department grants certain licenses. Some of these licenses are implicit, such as those for full-time journalists and government workers on official business. Other licenses must be applied for on a case-by-case basis with the U.S. Treasury Department, including Cuban-American citizens making humanitarian visits to close family. Licenses granted for educational travel and certain humanitarian trips, particularly those organized by religious groups

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/cuba/3173020059.html#ixzz2RPj8BeRL

Earthbound Expeditions is sponsoring our trip with Atlanta's renown Master Gardener leading our trip (Walter Reeves). The trip is an approved educational group approved by the Office of Foreign Asset Control, of the US Treasury Dept. Our itinerary:

http://www.walterreeves.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gardens-of-Cuba-with-Walter-Reeves-2013-4-5-13.pdf

I'm not interested in visiting or going to Amsterdam on a cruise and then saying I've been to those cities...
We've never been to Amsterdam and will be there for 23-hours this June on the Cloud. Why shouldn't I be able to claim that I've been to it, even if I do visit by cruise ship?

Between the Zaanse Schans, Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Beguines Court, privately cruising through the canals, as well as visiting a variety of private gardens in the city and along the Golden Bend, I think our day and evening will give us a delightful experience in such a wonderful city. And, in a city where water plays such an integral role, I think it's only fitting to arrive by a cruise ship such as the Cloud.

For our land adventures this summer we'll camp under the star lit nights of the Colorado sky and enjoy a wonderful week in Switzerland to see how those Alps compare to our Rockies. ;)

Over the past few years, the majority of our real vacations have been cruises. We did a land trip to Puerto Rice in January with the boys because I got a great deal to cancel a cruise and because my husband had been itching to do a land trip. It was fun, but he decided cruising is better.

We enjoy river cruising too, but it is totally different than a sea voyage. We are doing a Danube cruise again this year with friends.

I also go to medical meetings from time to time, but that is more for work, though husband often tags along. He can do fun stuff in the day while I work. We are going to a meeting in Jackson Hole WY in June.

Often we will go in a few days early for some time on land before a cruise. Have done this in Iceland twice and highly rec Iceland as a destination. Lots to see, good food, easy to drive yourself around.

Any great resorts or cities? Not interested in the typical European cities like London/Paris/Rome etc.

As for cities (and assuming you don't mind a bit of walking):

Hong Kong gets a bit of a bad press because all most people see of it are the tourist traps they fall into on cruise stops or layovers. We lived there for a number of years and think this is one of the most interesting cities in the world if you get out of the Tsim Sha Tsui / Central district and get up to the New Territories or visit the islands.

The best days out star with a pocket-full of HK$ coins. Then get on a bus or PLB (kind of minibus) and get off somewhere and get on another. Destination is unimportant! You get to see parts of the Territory that most tourists don't see and wherever you end up you are never more than a US$25 or so from where you started.

If money's no object try the Peninsula hotel - one of the world's greatest hotels. On a more sensible budget look at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford In Tsim Sha Tsui East rather than the equivalent Intercon at twice the price on Nathan Road - it just means a 400m walk.

Berlin is so typically German yet so unlike anywhere else in Europe. Get a 5 day pass for all the public transport (includes all buses, trams and underground), a decent guidebook and be astonished at what a diverse city it is. Great buildings, parks, lakes, history. Some marvellous restaurants and hospitality.

Sydney. I challenge anyone not to fall in love with Sydney. It is our favourite city after New York. Hiring a car and taking a few days to travel up to the vineyards of the Hunter Valley or the Blue Mountains.

Better still, do all three!

We have given up on Sydney completely. It is one of the most scenic of harbours but apart from the harbour and some great walks, the food is dire, service totally unavailable, and I don't like not being able to afford to buy a beer. We now stop at Singapore and let someone else take our seat on the last leg.

Agree about the rest though.:)

I think one of our favorite is French Polynesia or perhaps Fiji. We rented a three bedroom three bath home on the north side of Veti Levu for a week and took day trips out of it. For French Polynesia a cruise on the Paul Gauguin or similar is probably the easiest and cheapest way to see the islands.

Where to begin...We always have done land tours, even after we started to cruise.

Highlight of land trips:

South Africa , Botswana, Victoria falls...loved it so much, we returned again, total time there around 5-6 weeks.

Churchill Manitoba, out in the tundra Buggies to see the Polar Bears, the last week in October....awesome!

Iqaluit, Nunavit, (formally Frobisher on Baffin Island)...dog sledding, bannock making, snowmobling...all this in -30 C(just returned home on the 17th)

China..by plane, train and automobile, 3 seperate trips for a total of 7 weeks....loved it but didn't eat watermelon for almost a year afterwards.

Paris and Provence,for 3 weeks, 8 friends on our own wine tasting tour...awesome.

Italy, 3 weeks, all over,including a week in Sienna at cooking school for Ancient Tuscan cooking.

England(London) and Ireland(North and South)

India, Palaces of Rahjastan tour, almost a week there.

Nova Scotia, especially Cabot Trail in Cape Breton.

Quebec City, in Jan/Feb. for the Quebec Winter Carnival(Bonhom).

We have always travelled, but as the years pass, I prefer cruising.

Unpack your suitcases once and let the world come to you.

My card read, "Have Bags, Will Travel".

Pat and Ray

As much as we LOVE our Silversea Cruises, we do enjoy land vacations as well.

I would highly recommend a few of our favourite hotels and cities:

Hotel Il San Pietro di Positano, Positano Italy.

Amanpulo, Palawan, Philippines

Little Palm Island, Little Torch Key, Florida

Discovery Shores Hotel, Boracay, Philippines

Four Seasons Istanbul Sultanemet, Turkey

Breezes Jibacoa, Varadero, Cuba. (easy to access if you're Canadian)

Viceroy Zihuatanejo, Mexico. (formerly called the Villa Del Sol)

Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorga, BVI.

If you need any additional information regarding any of these places, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Scott

scott.lovell3@sympatico.ca

loving all of these posts which reflect the passion of the writers.

thanks Farbster for mixing it up and starting this thread.

ps..see you in London in July as we board the Cloud for Iceland :)

Going to do France next summer. Normandy (husband has cousins there), Bordeaux, and, time permitting, Burgundy.

Also, a trip to the FL Keys. Fly to Miami, rent a car, and a leisurely drive. Husband loves to fish. One of the best places for it. Unfortunately, nothing on the 2014 SS itin. that we are interested in fits our schedule.

We live on a lake in cottage country, so we rarely travel in the summer (making an exception for our Aug 4 Cloud cruise, tho) because its just too nice on our own dock and lake. Winters can be long and cold here, so we try to spend 4-6 weeks every winter in the Caribbean so that my DH can dive and I can soak up the sun. But at least once per year, we do something else - a Silversea cruise in the Med, a week in Rome or Athens or Paris, travelling around Italy by train. Looking forward to retiring so that we can make that twice per year!

My best remembered experiences came out of land trips that didn't involve cruises:

1. Standing at the Arctic Circle on Grimsey Island, Iceland

2. A walk with the lion cubs at a private reserve near Pretoria, South Africa

Moments to never forget and ironically both took place in the same year - 2010!

Favourite city - London! I agree with Prince Charles that the ugly mish mash of architecture doesn't quite gel but....the combination of history and ultra-modern chic creates a "centre of the universe" feeling about the city. So its extremely expensive but there is still lots of free things to do. Amsterdam may be more "open" and Paris more "romantic" but London is just "it" for me.

Did lots of land trips before but I must admit that since I hooked onto cruises I've been doing at least one cruise a year.

David

Archived