Trapped in a wal-mart

AFuncruiser

No! No! No!

Not at all "superor," but rather sad.

Our very first cruise was on Carnival and we loved it so much that we attained Platinum status.

Unfortunately, the beards in Miami decided over the last two years to cut the product to bare bones and to concentrate marketing to new cruisers at the expense of those who were loyal to the product.

Sad! Sad indeed!

I was referring to the posters that seem to like ridiculing people because they shop at Wal-mart or like sailing with Carnival.

Posters should stick to critiquing the cruise line, not the people who sail on it.

I was referring to the posters that seem to like ridiculing people because they shop at Wal-mart or like sailing with Carnival.

Posters should stick to critiquing the cruise line, not the people who sail on it.

Agree 100%

Right now it's "politically correct" to bash Wal-Mart, but they provide inexpensive products to those who can't afford to spend more.

So with Carnival. If they provide a cruise experience to those who otherwise could not otherwise afford it, God bless them.

Just don't bash those who choose to spend more to have a better product!

Agree 100%

Right now it's "politically correct" to bash Wal-Mart, but they provide inexpensive products to those who can't afford to spend more.

So with Carnival. If they provide a cruise experience to those who otherwise could not otherwise afford it, God bless them.

I will have to disagree with your comments.

Those of us who shop at WalMart and cruise Carnival do so by choice, and should not be judged by the way we allocate our resources.

The people who must make disparaging remarks about others are merely trying to elevate themselves above others due to insecurities in their egos.

How you spend your money doesn't make you any better or any worse that anyone else.

Also, spending more doesn't necessarily mean you are getting something better. You may be paying for the "perception of quality" that is a marketing tool used by many companies.

Those of us who shop at WalMart and cruise Carnival do so by choice, and should not be judged by the way we allocate our resources.

The people who must make disparaging remarks about others are merely trying to elevate themselves above others due to insecurities in their egos.

How you spend your money doesn't make you any better or any worse that anyone else.

Also, spending more doesn't necessarily mean you are getting something better. You may be paying for the "perception of quality" that is a marketing tool used by many companies.

Please read my comments again. Respectfully, I don't believe you understood my point!

Agree 100%

You call it not being able to spend more, but some call it spending wisely. Kind of like the guy that drives the Porsch is in debt up to his neck, and the guy in the beat up Ford 150 is a millionaire.

You call it not being able to spend more, but some call it spending wisely.

On the other hand, "spending wisely" does always mean going for the "cheapest" product.

It means spending for the greatest value at the lowest price.

In my experience, this used to be Carnival...

It is now Royal Caribbean and Celebrity!

We were on the April 7th cruise on the Valor. I felt like I was on a beautiful ship in

the Caribbean soaking up the warm sun after a very cold winter. The ship is very clean, good food, excellent hard working staff. Don't miss the Comedy Club.

On the other hand, "spending wisely" does always mean going for the "cheapest" product.

Agreed!

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

I really don't think the OP was dissing Carnival by comparing it to Walmart as far as amenities etc....it's the people.

I shop at Walmart and see some of the people that would be included in that demographic. That's why there's a website dedicated to them.

The people you are vacationing with can make or break your vacation....no matter how much you try to ignore them. I have found over the years more and more people leave their good manners and child rearing skills at home while vacationing.

I am a child care provider in a middle class area, I've had children from both upper and lower incomes than my own. To be honest, you can get terrible parenting at any level, but it really is worse in the lower income...I've dealt with it over and over. The parents get younger and younger and just don't have the maturity to handle it, you're also dealing with not much education and life style choices that are questionable.

Also when you're dealing with other nationalities, they parent differently.

We went on a Disney cruise last March, paid a fortune.....it was my own two daughters that ruined it!! It's very difficult to ruin a Disney vacation with all the pixie dust flying around, but by their constant bickering etc...they did.

We spent our first evening going to bed early, and two days later my youngest had to go to the ships Dr., she was quite ill. Funny, they remember it fondly..

Totally agree. I choose to shop at Walmart and cruise Carnival when they offer what I want for a lower price than their competitors. Just because I spend less does not mean I am purchasing an inferior product.

Most of the items I purchase at Walmart are the same brand name products offered at competitor stores at a higher price. If that same product had a lower price at the competitors store I would buy it there.

When I am shopping for a cruise, I am looking for good food, good entertainment, and good service and IMHO all cruiselines offer that including Carnival. Some lines may be better in one area or another (that is highly subjective) but IMHO they are all at least good which is what I am looking for. I always start my search by looking at all of them. I narrow my search by looking for certain dates, itineraries, embarkation ports and sometimes I narrow my seach even further by ship size or type of entertainment or the extras they offer. In all cases when I get my ships narrowed down by what I want...price is always the final factor in picking between the last ships that offer what I want. Most of the time there is a Carnival ship in that final decision and most of the time it is the lower priced ship. I am not picking an inferior product...I am choosing the product I want at the lowest price.

I don't knock those who want to spend more for something different than I choose. They are paying for what they want. I don't understand why they feel the need to knock those who shop at Walmart or Carnival for the product they what if that is where they can get it for a lower price. I can afford to pay higher prices. I choose not spend my money that way. Just because I choose to purchase the products I want from Walmart or Carnival doesn't mean I am purchasing inferior products because it is all I can afford. It is really an insult for the PP to imply that in his post.

And what is of value is subjective based on what you want out of a cruise :rolleyes:. IMHO you are spending you money wisely if you are purchasing what you want at a price you want to pay for it...be that RCCL, Celebrity or Carnival.

Even though I only have one cruise under my belt, I didn't see anything to consider the cruise to be like WalMart.

No one stole my shopping cart, no one was wearing pajamas out side their rooms and I didn't see a dirty diaper left in the parking lot. I didn't see teenagers making an hourly wage, but caring workers who jumped at every whim for you.

We did hear ADULTS screaming down the halls one night, but a "shut up" from me seemed to fix that.

I don't know where this Wal-Mart assumption comes from....but I didn't see what people were talking about.

But then it may have been us people are talking about who lay on deck in 95degree heat with a bucket of beer between us. Sorry, but it is our choice to get a tan and relax in the sun for our vacation.

Agree 100%

I am not a fan of the quality or style of the clothing Walmart sells so I don't buy them.

But a roll of Bounty paper towels is a roll of Bounty paper towels.....a bottle of Tide detergent is a bottle of Tide detergent .....a tube of Crest toothpaste is a tube of Crest toothpaste ....no matter where you buy it. So if you can go someplace and get a better price on the same damn thing ..who wouldn't ?

I don't mind paying for quality items and am blessed that I can in many instances. But for every day staples , I can't see paying more than I have to just to say I go to a nicer store with a "better" clientel

Please read my comments again. Respectfully, I don't believe you understood my point!

I read your post again and I interpreted it the same way. Your post implies that those who buy cheap products at Walmart do so because they can't afford to buy good products elsewhere and likewise those who purchase cheap Carnival Cruises do so because they can't afford to buy good cruises elsewhere. And don't look down at people like yourself who can afford to purchase a better product elsewhere....kind of insulting if you ask me.

You know, I feel very insulted every time I read a post comparing anything to wal Mart.

I shop at Wal Mart a lot. I spend about $200 a week for groceries there - name brand stuff only. I buy dog food there. I have photos developed there and buy potting soil and DVD's. What is wrong with that? Where am I suppose to buy them?

I assume you are all comparing clothes. I do not buy clothes there, I buy them at the mall. So what. I certainly hope that does not make me a snot.

I understand that Wal Mart is not an east coast store. So, is it East Coast people against Wal Mart and people who shop there?

There are some interesting people at our Wal Mart, but there are also good people, who have normal jobs, speak appropriately & dress appropriately.

If you don't want flack for it, then don't put it in your title and use it in your posts to slam something....and someone.

Regarding bad vacations.....we have taken a lot of trips. All inclusives as well as others, Atlantis in the Bahamas, Cancun, Disney World, etc. I always do my research and have NEVER had a bad trip. Most of the complaints I hear are because of poor planning or expectations.

I was very disappointed with my recent cruise On the Carnival Valor. It started with a 9:30pm lifeboat drill with screaming children and fainting ladies and it was down hill from there.. The cruise director obviously loved to hear his own voice as the announcements seemed endless and at odd hours. There were screaming children running up and down the hallways after midnight. I thought the pool area was more like a pit or arena. I miss the front facing lounges that are on most other cruise lines.

In General I felt I was trapped in a Wal-Mart while on board.

With 47 cruises under my belt, a Carnival Platinum cruiser and Carnival stock holder I regret to say that other than the convenience of the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville I never care to take another Carnival cruise.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

All I can say it why did you pick THIS cruise if you are that experienced? What did you expect on a spring cruise on CCL? Of course there are 100's of kids. You can't blame CCL for that. The ship leaves late at 10pm in SJU to allow people time to get there so how can they do it any earlier??? Why didn't go for another option? It's like ordering a burger and complaining it's a burger. I just don't get it.

I am a CCL stockholder, but I don't always cruise CCL. I also own APPLE stock, but I will never get an iPhone. I own Nike, but I wear New Balance.

You know, I feel very insulted every time I read a post comparing anything to wal Mart.

I shop at Wal Mart a lot. I spend about $200 a week for groceries there - name brand stuff only. I buy dog food there. I have photos developed there and buy potting soil and DVD's. What is wrong with that? Where am I suppose to buy them?

I assume you are all comparing clothes. I do not buy clothes there, I buy them at the mall. So what. I certainly hope that does not make me a snot.

I understand that Wal Mart is not an east coast store. So, is it East Coast people against Wal Mart and people who shop there?

There are some interesting people at our Wal Mart, but there are also good people, who have normal jobs, speak appropriately & dress appropriately.

If you don't want flack for it, then don't put it in your title and use it in your posts to slam something....and someone.

We have 3 types of superstores in our area including Walmart. Most people I know shop at all 3 of them depending on what they are getting and where it is lowest price. I never understood the "Walmart" analogy because the people I see in all 3 of these stores are the same people....they are also the same people I see in the mall less than a mile down the road. I'm talking a suburb area with nice homes and good school districts. So why when we shop Walmart are we considered lower class people? I have certain places I like to shop for clothes, certain places I like to shop for my fresh foods, but for brand name products...I shop the lowest price...Sometimes that is Walmart.

How many people who sail Carnival also sail on RCCL, NCL, etc. We are the same people. I really haven't notices any differences in the demographics between our DCL, NCL or CCL sailings. Our best friends and guy DH works with sail on RCCL. The General Manager of the company where I work sails CCL and RCCL. So why when we are sailing Carnival we are considered lower class citizens? We are the same people, we just choose to sail the different lines for different reasons....sometimes that is price.

I think some people just need to get over themselves.

Our next three cruises are on three different lines. I find it's the length of the cruise that affects the demographic more then the line.

We're also Wal-Mart shoppers, but we fit right in on HAL and Celebrity.

(I don't know if we could pass on Cunard or Seaborn ;) )

Agree 100%

You are a real piece of ... 'work'.

You don't know anything about the people posting here who shop at Walmart. How do you know what they can and can not afford? :rolleyes::confused:

Who's doing the bashing here?

If you want to pay more for the same roll of tp - Bless your heart. ;)

All I can say it why did you pick THIS cruise if you are that experienced? What did you expect on a spring cruise on CCL? Of course there are 100's of kids. You can't blame CCL for that. The ship leaves late at 10pm in SJU to allow people time to get there so how can they do it any earlier??? Why didn't go for another option? It's like ordering a burger and complaining it's a burger. I just don't get it.

I am a CCL stockholder, but I don't always cruise CCL. I also own APPLE stock, but I will never get an iPhone. I own Nike, but I wear New Balance.

Thank you!!! This was exactly the same point I was trying to make!! I don't get it either!! The OP CHOSE to sail this particular route (but complained about the ports in another thread) and also chose this particular ship (but complained about it not having the forward facing lounges he loves so much). :confused: Hello...?? Where's the logic?

Thank you!!! This was exactly the same point I was trying to make!! I don't get it either!! The OP CHOSE to sail this particular route (but complained about the ports in another thread) and also chose this particular ship (but complained about it not having the forward facing lounges he loves so much). :confused: Hello...?? Where's the logic?

Not sure why you feel the need to understand the OP's logic in choosing that cruise. Have you never disliked something you've bought before?

Archived