Breakaway - Cold Weather?

dlynn0366

I'm currently booked on the Breakaway Mar/14 7 day NY to Bahama cruise & I really like the idea of the Breakaway but I live in Canada & also really like the idea of hot weather from day one so now I'm not so sure. The last 2 years we have done the Epic & Eastern Carribean, while the Epic is now doing the Western Carribean it would be nice to try a new boat. I know the Getaway will be doing the Eastern Carribean but to do the same itinerary 2 yrs in a row at more than I paid on the Epic? I can only do a cruise in Mar so now I'm thinking maybe the Pearl in a Haven DOS. I'm torn as the flight from Ottawa to NY is only over an hr., plus sailing out & seeing the Statue of Liberty would be amazing....so maybe I just need to suck up a couple of cool weather cruising days & be thankful I'm one of the fortunate people who can cruise.

It's funny. I didn't even think about the cold weather when I booked my cruise, which is on March 2 of 2014. I live in NYC, so I was glad to have the new boat sailing out of my "home port." I figure I'd rather spend money on the boat than on planes GETTING to the boat, even if that means my first day is cold. It's a big boat... I'm sure I'll find ways to occupy my time until it warms up! :)

Richard/Tralfie

The sailaway from New York City should be experienced at least once....

For those of us who are within driving distance, it is a pleasure not to have to fly and worry about connections, etc. And the one cold sea day enroute is a good time to get to know the ship. The cold sea day on the return is a good time to relax and unwind from hardy port activities before returning to work.

If on the other hand, I was going to fly anyway, might as well fly direct to the warm weather port, if that is your preference.

But try at least one cruise from New York.....

If I was on a cruise for only seven days then I want them all to be warm. We leave out of Boston on the dawn this November 1st going to the Caribbean and disembarking is in tampa. This a 14 night cruise so I don,t mind the 1st sea day being cold because I have 13 more. Love long repo cruises!

It's funny. I didn't even think about the cold weather when I booked my cruise, which is on March 2 of 2014. I live in NYC, so I was glad to have the new boat sailing out of my "home port." I figure I'd rather spend money on the boat than on planes GETTING to the boat, even if that means my first day is cold. It's a big boat... I'm sure I'll find ways to occupy my time until it warms up! :)

Richard/Tralfie

This is true, first day by the time you unpack, do the drill etc., its supper time so how much are you out. My PCC said we should be about South Carolina when we wake up in the morning and he wouldn't lie to me :p Airfare it's about $500 less for the 2 of us plus I can fly direct from Ottawa airport which is 15 min. from my house where I was driving to Montreal which is about 2 1/2 hrs. from my home in order to fly direct to Miami. Can I wear sandals the first night....like we are heading to warm weather :D

I left from NY this past Feb and the weather was warmer on Monday night (ship left Sun). It was 38 degrees on sail away so hitting 60 degrees on Monday was a heat wave lol and coming home to NY Saturday day it was still warmer but it was rainy but I went out on the deck to check the rough waves from the rain and I didn't need a coat. Sunday when I got off the ship I didn't wear my heavy coat.

I had friends that went during Easter week this year (same ship and itinerary as mine) and Florida and Bahamas were cold. When I was there in Feb Florida and Bahamas were in the 80's. you can't predict the weather anywhere.

I am leaving NYC on January 5th on the Breakaway~~never went in the Winter~~but it is 12-days with six islands so I can put up with the cold for a little while~~taking a studio cabin~~cannot wait~~with $250.00 on-board credit all to myself:)

I personally wouldn't do it. Too cold for me. On a seven day cruise I would rather go to the carribean where I have a better chance of warm weather the minute I step out on that pool deck. That is why I booked the Getaway instead. Though I am in driving distance to NYC I would rather spend the extra money and fly to the warmer port. I cruise to get away from the winter.

I left from NY this past Feb and the weather was warmer on Monday night (ship left Sun). It was 38 degrees on sail away so hitting 60 degrees on Monday was a heat wave lol and coming home to NY Saturday day it was still warmer but it was rainy but I went out on the deck to check the rough waves from the rain and I didn't need a coat. Sunday when I got off the ship I didn't wear my heavy coat.

I had friends that went during Easter week this year (same ship and itinerary as mine) and Florida and Bahamas were cold. When I was there in Feb Florida and Bahamas were in the 80's. you can't predict the weather anywhere.

This is also what kind of has me worried is I can live with the cool weather for a day or so but what is it is like this year and the Bahamas are cool :mad: This year doing the Eastern Caribbean on the Epic compared to same cruise last year I noticed big weather difference, much cooler this year.

I personally wouldn't do it. Too cold for me. On a seven day cruise I would rather go to the carribean where I have a better chance of warm weather the minute I step out on that pool deck. That is why I booked the Getaway instead. Though I am in driving distance to NYC I would rather spend the extra money and fly to the warmer port. I cruise to get away from the winter.

Do you think if we switched the Getaway for the Breakaway anyone would notice :p I'm sure Getaway is going to be great just but I'd like more info on entertainment etc.

I'm thinking I might just switch and do the Epic for the 3rd time and do the Western Caribbean which will mean all those booked on the Breakaway from NY if I do switch will that week experience record high temps requiring swim suites even as they sail from NY :p

7 days out of NYC in March and hoping for warm weather is probably not going to happen. Weather usually warms up enough on day 3 and you'll be good for 2 days until it heads back. Keep in mind that the water is at its coldest around that time, so any breezes will feel colder coming off of cold water.

We have done the 12 day out of Bayonne and had warm weather for 8 or 9 days, but I wouldn't do a 7 day out of NYC at that time of year, particularly if I were looking for warm weather.

They are offering (1) 12 day trip in January, I wish they continued them through Febraury and March and I'd book. Maybe they are hoping the new ship fills up weekly, they make more money off of fresh blood onboard than dealing with a 12 or 14 day crowd.

I'll wait for Quantum for a long winter sail out of NYC.

I cancelled the Breakaway this am & we are now booked on the Epic Mar 16/14....this will be my 3rd time on the Epic but I am OK with this as I've still not seen the whole ship :) First time we did Haven Spa Suite, this year we did DOS and next year Haven 2 Bedroom Villa, will use 2nd bedroom for suitcase's.

They are offering (1) 12 day trip in January,

There are two....5 Jan and after a two day CTN, 19 Jan.

But yeah, I wish they would do well enough to offer more in the future. I am going on the 5 Jan cruise.

And when the Quantum comes, will try it as well....

Archived