Controversy with all inclusive - what would you like included?

English Tim

This is really directed to English Tim. As many of you know, I love the Azamara experience and have Quest booked in August. I now have a dilemma for November - Azamara Quest or Seabourn Sojourn. Both go to similar places, similar prices etc. Any advice?

I'm sorry but as I haven't yet cruised with AZ, I can't offer any advice.

This is really directed to English Tim. As many of you know, I love the Azamara experience and have Quest booked in August. I now have a dilemma for November - Azamara Quest or Seabourn Sojourn. Both go to similar places, similar prices etc. Any advice?

We have travelled on both, and the Seabourn Spirit and Odyssey.

We found that the service on azamara was wonderful, as was our first two cruises on Seabourn Spirit,( a much smaller ship). On our last cruise with Seabourn a few of the staff were not quite as we had come to expect. But all ships have new staff and I think this was a training issue.

Seabourn include most drinks, and one brand of champagne. very high end liquors are at a supplement.

The onboard 'Restaurant 2' does not have a charge.

The cabin sizes are larger, with lovely large bathrooms and no inside cabins. even without a balcony, the picture window is very large.

The number onboard is fewer than on azamara, so you soon meet like minded people.

Seabourn do have formal nights, but it is possible to eat other than the MDR or in your cabin, so not a problem.

If all things are equal, then my choice would be Seabourn, but there is very little to choose and we have not yet had the benefit of Azamara's more inclusive deal, our next trip is with Azamara.

I am very happy with either. :)

Thank you so much for your input. I think it's made my decision even harder!!!! Think I will have to leave the decision to BIL and SIL who are our travelling companions. They are coming with us on the Quest (their first time) in August.

One other thing to note is that if you are a first time sailor on seabourn then you can obtain a referral which gives you $400 OBC, useful for trips or the spa. No catch, the voucher gives both parties $400 spend on a future cruise but can only be used just before final payment is due. It is also useful to use a TA who specilises in luxury cruises.

Just a clarification to a couple of LN50's points. On Seabourn the large majority of premium brand liquor is included. Only rare brands cost extra. And formal nights are optional, not required so one can dine anywhere in a jacket, no tux needed.

After spending 2-14 day cruises on Seabourn, I can attest that it is a very good line delivering quality service and product. BUT if you are bothered by smoke, you may want to think twice before booking. SB has not (and WILL NOT) join the 21st century and limit smoking in staterooms and verandas or the main observation lounge. If you get a smoker next door, your cruise can be miserable. This is why we have had our SB future cruise credit returned and will now focus on AZ and O- lines that have realistic smoking policies.

The SB CC board has had discussions ad nauseam on SB's policy.

After spending 2-14 day cruises on Seabourn, I can attest that it is a very good line delivering quality service and product. BUT if you are bothered by smoke, you may want to think twice before booking. SB has not (and WILL NOT) join the 21st century and limit smoking in staterooms and verandas or the main observation lounge. If you get a smoker next door, your cruise can be miserable. This is why we have had our SB future cruise credit returned and will now focus on AZ and O- lines that have realistic smoking policies.

The SB CC board has had discussions ad nauseam on SB's policy.

I understand that a statement on a 'new' smoking policy is imminent.

QUOTE - Yes, I believe Azamara did contravene English Law, by advertising something, which it is clearly not and appears to be a mistake. However, I believed when I booked and was subsequently told that very little would

Tim - just wondering if you ever followed through on your belief that there was some perceived injustice in what you (and we) had been sold versus what was expected?...now that you are back.

Its good that the thread has moved on positively from where it was.

David

My choice is usually Azamara, I think due to the fact we were on Seabourn Pride which I found a bit too small. When cruising I like to try a different cocktail every night & on Seabourn everything was included but as I am not a big drinker the barman would say just tell me what you would like, I found it hard with no cocktail list & kept reverting to old favourites. I like my "welcome home" & I think the staff are just friendly on Azamara, on the cruises I have been on. All in all I would sail on both again and usually base on itinerary and price. All inclusive or more inclusive not a deal breaker. Enjoy which every you choose.

QUOTE - Yes, I believe Azamara did contravene English Law, by advertising something, which it is clearly not and appears to be a mistake. However, I believed when I booked and was subsequently told that very little would

Tim - just wondering if you ever followed through on your belief that there was some perceived injustice in what you (and we) had been sold versus what was expected?...now that you are back.

Its good that the thread has moved on positively from where it was.

David

I am back from Seabourn, but have yet to cruise Azamara, which I do in early June. It would be unwise to pass judgement until I have my first experience.

Fizzy wine (preferrably champagne!) gets MY vote! As I was disappointed on our last trip to find that this was not one of the items offered at not extra charge.

BUT when I mentioned the fact that I only drank champagne to our butler, I was pleased to find a bottle of Moet iced and ready for me each day in my cabin! Not sure if this was due to the fact that we had an owner's suite AND that we were not drinking the bottles of "hard" liqour provided....but it was such a nice touch!

We returned from another wonderful cruise on the Quest yesterday.

One of my friends was disappointed that her favourite drink, Mango Martini was not included on the complimentary list. When talking to Paul the Bar Manager he pointed out that all she had to do was ask the air team to make the drink from the complimentary selection and she was a happy bunny for the rest of the cruise.

We also raised the issue of including a sparkling wine to the complimentary repertoire. They said that they wanted to offer something different at gatherings and parties on board and I must admit that this hadn't crossed my mind.

For those cruising with Az soon, I can reassure you that the on board experience remains very special and we are hoping to return to Quest at the end of the summer season.

Cheers!

One of my friends was disappointed that her favourite drink, Mango Martini was not included on the complimentary list. When talking to Paul the Bar Manager he pointed out that all she had to do was ask the air team to make the drink from the complimentary selection and she was a happy bunny for the rest of the cruise.

We also raised the issue of including a sparkling wine to the complimentary repertoire. They said that they wanted to offer something different at gatherings and parties on board and I must admit that this hadn't crossed my mind.

For those cruising with Az soon, I can reassure you that the on board experience remains very special and we are hoping to return to Quest at the end of the summer season.

Cheers!

Welcome home!

Lovely to hear how well it all went on Quest. I am sure very soon the bar team will have worked out all these additional drinks they can do from the current list and we will see a new list coming out.

I love my bubbles but, if they have not changed the offerings by the Autumn, I look forward to a little more cocktail experimentation some nights, might be good to ring some changes in my favourites list. And worst case, if I still feel bubbles depravation I can buy the odd glass I suppose. It would still be my preference to have bubbles available on the list if they can find a work around

Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and thanks for the info. I love Mudslides, which are made from Baileys and Kaluha, but maybe they won't be included!

The cocktails list is quite long though!

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and thanks for the info. I love Mudslides, which are made from Baileys and Kaluha, but maybe they won't be included!

The cocktails list is quite long though!

I was on Journey on the very last cruise before both ships are on the inclusive. I was shown the list that the bar tenders will have of the included/not included/drinks prices/package inclusives and prices. A degree in advanced trigonometry would be a good thing to have! I'm sure it will become easier for them with experience. Sorry, can't tell whether your favourite is included or if it isn't how much it will be individually or if you purchase a package to cover it.

Phil

Cheers!

Welcome home Hazel. Glad you enjoyed the trip and are planning your next Quest:)

Phil

Welcome home Hazel. Glad you enjoyed the trip and are planning your next Quest:)

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I was following your adventures on Journey and am glad that you too had a great time.

After speaking to Lottie we feel sure that your company would enliven us Lively Ladies even more. Perhaps we should consult our diaries?

But I have to tell you our heart belongs to Quest!

My wife got a liking for Bellini's on our Seabourn cruise. Is this drink likely to be on the included list? I can't see them or my favourite 'mudslide' on the included or excluded lists.

No on the Bellini's. not sure on the Mud Slides. We were on the Quest last month. We have also been on SB, Siversea, ans Regent. We wish AZ had sparkling wines included, my DW drink of choice, but we loved AZ and had a wonderful experience. While it isn't SB or Siversea, it also was a much lower price and a fantastic itinerary.

The AzAmazing Evening was a memorable experience we won't forget.

I found English Tim's comments helpful, and he has prompted some good exchanges. It is not simply a question of unjustified moaning.

My wife and I are taking our first Azamara Cruise in June, and we are really looking forward to it. Like English Tim, I was sold an "All Inclusive" cruise. I know that some cruise lines do offer "All Inclusive" including shore excursions, etc.

I did not expect total inclusivity, including, for example, vintage champagne. But Azamara promotes itself as a premium "6-Star" experience, so I did expect some sparkling wine as a aperatif, and I do like a glass of port with my cheese. I expected to be able to order a bottle of house wine at any time. On a 6-Star line I expected stocking and restocking of the cabin mini-bar without charge.

The free beer list has rightly been done to death in other posts. I like scotch whisky and won't be consuming the included brands. No single malt? Is this a Thomson ship?

So I am disappointed with the Azamara list. I'm glad that I found out now and can get over it before going on board.

I make clear that I consider the Azamara package that we have bought to be excellent value for money - it is just that I have now learnt that it is not quite the good value that I perceived before I saw the drinks list.

I found English Tim's comments helpful, and he has prompted some good exchanges. It is not simply a question of unjustified moaning.

My wife and I are taking our first Azamara Cruise in June, and we are really looking forward to it. Like English Tim, I was sold an "All Inclusive" cruise. I know that some cruise lines do offer "All Inclusive" including shore excursions, etc.

I did not expect total inclusivity, including, for example, vintage champagne. But Azamara promotes itself as a premium "6-Star" experience, so I did expect some sparkling wine as a aperatif, and I do like a glass of port with my cheese. I expected to be able to order a bottle of house wine at any time. On a 6-Star line I expected stocking and restocking of the cabin mini-bar without charge.

The free beer list has rightly been done to death in other posts. I like scotch whisky and won't be consuming the included brands. No single malt? Is this a Thomson ship?

So I am disappointed with the Azamara list. I'm glad that I found out now and can get over it before going on board.

I make clear that I consider the Azamara package that we have bought to be excellent value for money - it is just that I have now learnt that it is not quite the good value that I perceived before I saw the drinks list.

Bobotheviking, I think you have got this spot on. I too was sold an Azamara cruise as 'All Inclusive' and I did feel cheated and conned when the drinks list was published, however I've got over it. I have two cruises booked this year with Azamara, the first of which is in ten days time. I'm going with an open mind, and to enjoy myself, then I'll make judgement afterwords.

I have been encouraged by Bill Lieber acknowledging that they will listen to feed back both from this forum and onboard questionnaires, so I live in hope that adjustments and improvements can be made.

Archived