*LIVE PHOTO BLOG* - Ben the Bendy Man's Breakaway Adventure April 28 to May 4, 2013

kylenyc

Day +1 - Sunday, April 28, 2013

First impressions exploring the ship

After a pleasant lunch, Ben wandered about the atrium making new friends... Kevin Sheehan not one of them. Ben's on a mission to meet the Commanding Entertainment Om-nom-nom!

P1010485y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium, Restaurant Reservations - Kevin and Klaus make inspection rounds of *their* newest ship.

P1010488y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium, Lounge (foreground) - Cruise Consultant, Shore Excursions, House Phone, Shore Excursions self-service kiosks

P1010489y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium, Guest Services - Some wants to share Ben's limelight

P1010493y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium, Guest Services - Luis Antonio R. tries to outdo Ben with a million dollar smile of his own.

Edited by kylenyc

Day +1 - Sunday, April 28, 2013

First impressions exploring the ship

P1010501y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium - Onboard Credit

P1010497y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium - Onboard Credit - Ben the native New Yawkah wonders "Aaaye! Yo! Weh's my on boad credit? Aaaye! Yo!"

P1010503y.jpg

Deck 6 Atrium - Oddiemar M. give Ben a warm welcome and friendly smile ... but no OBC :grin and chuckle:

P1010505y.jpg

Deck 6 Cruise Consultant and Shore Excursions

Live aboard the Norwegian Breakaway

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It keeps Ben smiling! He loves meeting the friendly crew and posting pictures. Norwegian has the best crews on the high seas.

Regarding Studio Lounge/Hall vs Bliss - No worries. There's a solo gathering every evening in the Studio Lounge (Living Room) but after everyone meets and decides on the evening's show and dinner it seems the hot spot is Fat Cats after 10 pm and then the Bliss Ultra Lounge after that. However, the music in the Atrium and Manhattan main dining room is giving Fat Cats a run for the money... Some of the best live music to rival best on land or sea whether you like blues, jazz, showtunes or pop

P.S. The Studio hall lighting does change through the day from the purplish blues of evening to an orange glow for sunrise. Also the Bliss has a wall with rows of of shimmering LCD lights (heading to take pictures of it now) while the Studio Lounge has a ceiling with LCD lights like stars.

In the photos, some of these cruisers sitting in the Atrium Lounge look awfully excited...

Ben's taking a little creative license with the time line. Those pictures were actually a mix and some taken today and the seas are picking up. The Atrium lounge was featuring Nintendo Wii (with no sound) and a perfect place for people watchers and reading a good book.

Right now on the other hand in the evening, the live music in the Atrium is great with a Tina Turner, Whitney Houston, Motown, pop Rhianna tribute.

After late nights ... lounging in recovery is the thing to do :p:p:p

Edited by kylenyc

Hi, Kyle. How do you like your studio? Did you get any special memento from NCL for being on the maiden voyage? Sure looks like you and Ben are enjoying yourselves! Sharon

Hi, Kyle. How do you like your studio? Did you get any special memento from NCL for being on the maiden voyage? Sure looks like you and Ben are enjoying yourselves! Sharon

Yes, having a fantastic time. Many wonderful solos in the studios, Meaghenne the hostess very nice and full of energy, great live music, and many crew members who really shine. Just left Fat Cats and it was amazing... better than could be imagined.

That having been said, there's no special momento or anything extraordinary to account for the premium that studio solos are paying (more than double occupancy inside cabin many of whom got upgraded)... A grocery shopping tote just doesn't exactly offset the premium. Our pins are going to be mailed to us. Studio cabins are also doubling as lodging for workers, and the lounge for workers to snack and work in. This is also irritating that studio passengers are paying more than two passengers in an inside and having to share space with workers who have no interest in socializing and adding to the experience.

As the price normalizes, solos will be able to get studios for less than the insides or 100% surcharge and the workers will be out of there. There's still a few days for Norwegian to surprise us :shrugs:

Besides the price and worker issues, no real complaints and having a fantastic time. Met many wonderful Cruise Critic members and solos staying in other cabins.

Yes, having a fantastic time. Many wonderful solos in the studios, Meaghenne the hostess very nice and full of energy, great live music, and many crew members who really shine. Just left Fat Cats and it was amazing... better than could be imagined.

That having been said, there's no special momento or anything extraordinary to account for the premium that studio solos are paying (more than double occupancy inside cabin many of whom got upgraded)... A grocery shopping tote just doesn't exactly offset the premium. Our pins are going to be mailed to us. Studio cabins are also doubling as lodging for workers, and the lounge for workers to snack and work in. This is also irritating that studio passengers are paying more than two passengers in an inside and having to share space with workers who have no interest in socializing and adding to the experience.

As the price normalizes, solos will be able to get studios for less than the insides or 100% surcharge and the workers will be out of there. There's still a few days for Norwegian to surprise us :shrugs:

Besides the price and worker issues, no real complaints and having a fantastic time. Met many wonderful Cruise Critic members and solos staying in other cabins.

Oh my God, Kyle, I'm so flabbergasted at reading this post I'm speechless. Forget being surprised; isn't there anything Guest Services can give all the studio cruisers as some kind of compensation for having to share the space? Jeeze Louise! The studio price went up $700 on my cruise from when I booked. But I'm assuming I'll meet 50+ other solos who aren't working in the lounge when I'm there sipping a cappuccino. Yikes!:eek: Well, by January things should get smoothed out. I think the studios will all sell out anyway. I'm glad you're not letting the pricing and glitches mar your week. I'll be sure to go to Fat Cats!

Oh my God, Kyle, I'm so flabbergasted at reading this post I'm speechless. Forget being surprised; isn't there anything Guest Services can give all the studio cruisers as some kind of compensation for having to share the space? Jeeze Louise! The studio price went up $700 on my cruise from when I booked. But I'm assuming I'll meet 50+ other solos who aren't working in the lounge when I'm there sipping a cappuccino. Yikes!:eek: Well, by January things should get smoothed out. I think the studios will all sell out anyway. I'm glad you're not letting the pricing and glitches mar your week. I'll be sure to go to Fat Cats!

I don't 'get' why it costs more for one in a studio, than for two in an inside....is that just a supply and demand result for this particular voyage, or is that the standard 'rack rate'?

It seems that NCL may have 'missed the boat', in cutting the number of studio's in half, as compared to the Epic.....:confused:

I don't 'get' why it costs more for one in a studio, than for two in an inside....is that just a supply and demand result for this particular voyage, or is that the standard 'rack rate'?

It seems that NCL may have 'missed the boat', in cutting the number of studio's in half, as compared to the Epic.....:confused:

I guess NCL priced the studios for the current cruise based on what the market was willing to accept. I think Kyle and the other studio cruisers paid more for the maiden voyage. I know I'd be paying more for an inside on my 1/2014 cruise than I'm paying for a studio so the pricing is different. The costs for a balcony on my 12 day cruise are so high I never contemplated one and decided to experience the studio/lounge instead. Obviously, the studios didn't sell out on the current cruise. I thought NCL would be passing out all kinds of memorabilia in honor of the first cruise but I thought wrong, LOL.

I had been watching the price of the studios for this maiden and the price has only fluctuated $100. I heard there was a good sale at one point, but mostly the price stayed between $1350 to $1500 from what I've seen. The only online TA that listed studios online had comparable prices. By Sept, the price drops to a more affordable $950 to $1000. So, don't see any rack rate vs TA price advantage.

For solos considering the Breakaway, I'd book the best priced cabin you can get whether insider or studio. Solos have access to the Studio Lounge for the scheduled evening's mixer between 5 pm and 6 pm when most gather in the lounge anyway. After that, they've all planned out their evening's entertainment and dinner, and next day's activities.

There are about 100 studio cabins but i guestimate there are only 20-30 studio solos who show at the evening's gathering. The rest are solos in other types of cabins.

As with any vacation it's the people I've that make the trip fantastic, whether passengers or crew, solo studio travelers or Cruise Critic members. Kudos to Norwegian for attracting a great mix of folks from all walks.

Edited by kylenyc

I had been watching the price of the studios for this maiden and the price has only fluctuated $100. I heard there was a good sale at one point, but mostly the price stayed between $1350 to $1500 from what I've seen. The only online TA that listed studios online had comparable prices. By Sept, the price drops to a more affordable $950 to $1000. So, don't see any rack rate vs TA price advantage.

For solos considering the Breakaway, I'd book the best priced cabin you can get whether insider or studio. Solos have access to the Studio Lounge for the scheduled evening's mixer between 5 pm and 6 pm when most gather in the lounge anyway. After that, they've all planned out their evening's entertainment and dinner, and next day's activities.

There are about 100 studio cabins but i guestimate there are only 20-30 who show at the evening's gathering. The rest are in other types of cabins.

As with any vacation it's the people I've that make the trip fantastic, whether passengers or crew, solo studio travelers or Cruise Critic members. Kudos to Norwegian for attracting a great mix of folks from all walks.

That Sept. cost is great! An available studio for the May 12 cruise is $1649 before port taxes; I checked just before I wrote this. And actually, there are only 50+ studios on the BREAKAWAY; it's the EPIC that has over 100. Maybe that's one reason you're seeing only 20-30 other "studioers" and the rest are workers.

Live on the Norwegian Breakaway, Maiden Transatlantic

In Eastern Time Zone now, starting to warm up, seas calming a bit, sailing at 20-22 knots, nice and sunny out and many folks out sunning and having a blast on the rock wall, ropes course, walking the plank, pool, and their exhilarating water slides.

Dinner last night in the Manhattan was flawless. Chef's special the filet and pecan pie were perfect. Desserts are mostly the same types as other Norwegian ships but much improved. Lighter fluffier chocolate raspberry truffle cake, sweeter nuttier pecan pie (although still questionably served with chocolate ice cream so Ben asked for vanilla :grin:), deelish version of the key lime pie (served on the first night). Still trying to make room for a Carlo's cannoli.

Regarding the self-serve wine bar, there is one in the studio lounge and the Atrium. You swipe the cabin card and wine is dispensed in "taste", half, and full glasses. Half glasses range from $3.50 to $5 and wines are from California, Australia, Chile... A 15% autogratuity surcharge is added on.

Regarding desserts at the Atrium Cafe, they only serve Carlo's but nothing stopping you from bringing something over from the buffet or carry out from lunch in the MDR. Ben recommends Zip Loc bags for all your buffet cookie and brownie carrying needs ... Ohm nom nom!

Edited by kylenyc

In Eastern Time Zone now, starting to warm up, seas calming a bit, sailing at 20-22 knots, nice and sunny out and many folks out sunning and having a blast on the rock wall, ropes course, walking the plank, pool, and their exhilarating water slides.

Dinner last night in the Manhattan was flawless. Chef's special the filet and pecan pie were perfect. Desserts are mostly the same types as other Norwegian ships but much improved. Lighter fluffier chocolate raspberry truffle cake, sweeter nuttier pecan pie (although still questionably served with chocolate ice cream so Ben asked for vanilla :grin:), deelish version of the key lime pie (served on the first night). Still trying to make room for a Carlo's cannoli.

Regarding the self-serve wine bar, there is one in the studio lounge and the Atrium. You swipe the cabin card and wine is dispensed in "taste", half, and full glasses. Half glasses range from $3.50 to $5 and wines are from California, Australia, Chile... A 15% autogratuity surcharge is added on.

Regarding desserts at the Atrium Cafe, they only serve Carlo's but nothing stopping you from bringing something over from the buffet or carry out from lunch in the MDR. Ben recommends Zip Loc bags for all your buffet cookie and brownie carrying needs ... Ohm nom nom!

Good to know regarding how the wine machines work. Usually on Celebrity and other places I have tried them, you have to get a second card like a gift card. It is a pain to have to carry a second card. I like NCL charging to your account directly. Is $5 the most expensive wine?

Interesting....so the Atrium Cafe is an outpost of Carlo's Bake Shop now?

Meaning that you have to pay for the sweets they serve along with the specialty coffee's?

I enjoyed the complimentary pastries served in the Dawn's atrium cafe, along with the complimentary coffee they offered in a nearby self-serve urn.....will miss that on the Breakawy, but I suppose I'll have to try Carlo's at least once....