Current public transport (or semi-private) options for Katakolon to Olympia?

mikeerdas

Will be at the port of Katakolon in mid-May, arriving on the Norwegian Jade. Most of the ship excursions seem to be overpriced bus transport + site admission included (not much value-add). So I'm wondering what my current public transportation options are from the Katakolon pier to the site of Olympia. I can always hire a guide on site I suspect, or simply use good guidebooks or self-guided tour info from the web. Also, I don't like to be rushed at ancient sites, preferring to meander on my own, lingering for however long I like at portions of sites I find interesting.

Our ship arrives in Katakolon at 9am and departs at 6pm.

In other threads I've heard mentioned:

* Katakolon Express (?) - a reasonably priced private bus service from Katakolon to Olympia. Last I checked, wasn't sure this was still in operation and reliable. Anyone know if it's still around and has taken it recently

* Possible limited train service, but only in high season (?)

Wondering about prices, schedules, how long it will take to get to the site via either bus or train, and walking directions from where the ship docks to where these services pick-up. Although we know a car is convenient, we don't feel comfortable renting one. Would rather go for no-frills public transport. Or shared private transport that isn't a taxi. Just need someone to get us to and from Olympia.

Also curious though, I think a winery is mentioned in some excursions. Is there a winery in walking distance from the site of Olympia? Or by public bus? Looking for an opportunity to visit at least one winery on our Corfu/Santorini/Mykonos/Katakolon port itinerary. But it's not a Must Do. Only a nice-to-do if it's something we can conveniently fit in on our DIY exploration of these ports.

Also, can anyone recommend any good restaurants within walking distance of the site of Olympia and/or in Katakolon (for dinner before we board the ship). Looking for affordably priced fare, preferably with an atmospheric view and charm.

When we were in Katakolon in October on the Crown Princess. We had reservations with Katakolon Express. It did not workout. Not sure whose fault it was. But anyway, we walk to the town (maybe 1/4 mile) and booked with another company for the ride to Olympia. It was 10 Euros pp round trip. They left promptly and dropped us and the Olympia entrance. Told us where and when to meet for the return tirip. We had 2 or 2 1/2 hours there, which for us was perfect. We had time to see the site and also the museum.

Mike,

I should have added:

You clearly plan to do as may ports as possible on your own, so you should get a copy of Rick Steves' book Med Cruise Ports. It was a great help to us last fall.

Thanks again Paul. Yep, very much prefer to DIY where possible. Sorry things didn't work out with Katakolon Express. But glad you found someone else to get you there. Strange that there aren't better options for such a popular connection (Katakolon to Olympia).

Love Rick Steves. Have his Venice book for this cruise, since we embark/disembark from Venice (Norwegian Jade). Glad the Rick Steves ports book helped you out. Will have to consider it but already have lots of books. Since you're not the first person to recommend it, I may have to halt my moratorium on purchased new books for this trip.

Too bad Rick Steves doesn't have any free audio tours of Olympia or Delos. We've used his audio podcasts / MP3s in Rome and found them to be great. Recently downloaded his Venice MP3s.

Thanks again Paul. Yep, very much prefer to DIY where possible. Sorry things didn't work out with Katakolon Express. But glad you found someone else to get you there. Strange that there aren't better options for such a popular connection (Katakolon to Olympia).

Love Rick Steves. Have his Venice book for this cruise, since we embark/disembark from Venice (Norwegian Jade). Glad the Rick Steves ports book helped you out. Will have to consider it but already have lots of books. Since you're not the first person to recommend it, I may have to halt my moratorium on purchased new books for this trip.

Too bad Rick Steves doesn't have any free audio tours of Olympia or Delos. We've used his audio podcasts / MP3s in Rome and found them to be great. Recently downloaded his Venice MP3s.

Rick Steves has very detailed walks/guides for both sites in the Mediterranean Cruise Ports book. If you are doing DIY in the Med, it's a very useful resource.

Rick Steves has very detailed walks/guides for both sites in the Mediterranean Cruise Ports book. If you are doing DIY in the Med, it's a very useful resource.

Thanks again Chloe and Paul. May have to place an Amazon order for it after all.

Was checking the web page for the book on RickSteves.com and he posts a cruise port "cheat sheet" from the book for whether or not to book shore excursions in ports covered by the book. Very smart idea. For most of the Greek ports he says no, just DIY and relax. But for Katakolon, he makes an exception and says excursions may be better for seeing Olympia:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/1107/cruise-excursion.htm

Given potentially unreliable and/or disappearing local providers, and the train schedule sounding a bit strange or unpredictable, we may suck it up and pay for an excursion to Olympia. I think it's really terrific that Rick finally did a book on cruise ship ports. Because I've been hooked on his style of travel since the early 1990's and only relatively recently (2006) start cruising--a bit reluctantly in fact. Fell in love with the "unpack once" convenience but didn't like the high-price package tourism vibe (e.g. ship excursions) making it a lot more expensive to travel. So the book fills a terrific niche. Guess I should get it if for nothing else to read his take on making a cruise trip more like independent travel (something I seem to try to do on my own for every cruise I take).

Still waiting on my Rick Steves' med port guide. Should be here any day now.

Also checking in to see if others who typically DIY in ports would also recommend booking the ship's excursion to Olympia given the seemingly unreliable or vague public transport options from Katakolon to the Olympia site. Hate to spend all that money. But also don't want the hassle of potentially unreliable public transport at this port.

Thanks again Chloe and Paul. May have to place an Amazon order for it after all.

Was checking the web page for the book on RickSteves.com and he posts a cruise port "cheat sheet" from the book for whether or not to book shore excursions in ports covered by the book. Very smart idea. For most of the Greek ports he says no, just DIY and relax. But for Katakolon, he makes an exception and says excursions may be better for seeing Olympia:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/1107/cruise-excursion.

My take on Rick's advice in that link is to book an excursion because of the need for transportation to Olympia from Katakolo. I wouldn't interpret that to only mean a ship excursion. I have his book (2011 is when I bought it, so there may be updates to this), and here is what he writes:

"Getting to Olympia

Olympia is east of Katakolo, about 30-minute drive from the port. Because the train connection is uncertain, a private bus is the cheapest and most dependable way to get to the archaeological site."

He goes on to describe the Katakolon Express, taxi, and rental car before a write-up about the train.

I don't think you'll have trouble getting a local private bus like Paul did. Or, check the Katakolon-express dot com to reserve a spot in advance. That's what we did. We were on the same cruise as Paul last Oct., and unfortunately, there was an email with a pickup time change that he didn't get. It worked just fine for us and several others on our roll call though. I think that some of the tour providers in the Greek islands are seasonal and that contacting early in the season can be hit or miss.

My take on Rick's advice in that link is to book an excursion because of the need for transportation to Olympia from Katakolo. I wouldn't interpret that to only mean a ship excursion. I have his book (2011 is when I bought it, so there may be updates to this), and here is what he writes:

"Getting to Olympia

Olympia is east of Katakolo, about 30-minute drive from the port. Because the train connection is uncertain, a private bus is the cheapest and most dependable way to get to the archaeological site."

He goes on to describe the Katakolon Express, taxi, and rental car before a write-up about the train.

I don't think you'll have trouble getting a local private bus like Paul did. Or, check the Katakolon-express dot com to reserve a spot in advance. That's what we did. We were on the same cruise as Paul last Oct., and unfortunately, there was an email with a pickup time change that he didn't get. It worked just fine for us and several others on our roll call though. I think that some of the tour providers in the Greek islands are seasonal and that contacting early in the season can be hit or miss.

Thanks again Chloe. Will have to reconsider the private transport options. Sure would save a bundle off the Jade's excursions to Olympia.

Thanks again Chloe. Will have to reconsider the private transport options. Sure would save a bundle off the Jade's excursions to Olympia.

Hi mikeerdas,

I think that we are on the same cruise (Jade). We are in Katakolon on 25th May, is that when you are there? we are there the same port times as you. At this moment in time we also do not know what to do about Olympia. Possibly we could sort something out.

Malc.

We booked with Katakon Express last December, and like a previous poster there was a mix-up (quite simply they weren't there when they said the would be, but they were operating that day as we saw the bus later on.). No panic - we simply walked over and got another tour bus (actually cheaper at 10 per person) which had plenty of "sales reps" available. There is also a car rental right there.

We were also on the Jade and at the time they were giving excellent details on each port which made DYI very easy. The one thing they warned about the train was it wasn't on a firm schedule. Supposedly it has a tendency to wait until its full vice running on a set schedule. I don't think this would be a problem in the summer, but in the winter well...

We had about 2.5 hours before catching the bus back to the ship. The bus will drop you off right back at the pier or at the outskirts of town. We took the second option and strolled thru the village. Then we settled in at a cafe on the shore line for a late lunch and used the free wi-fi.

Alberta Quilter,

Which Katakalon tour did you book? Just wondering about time at Olympia and returning to the bus for departure. Did you feel you had enough time? Different tours seem to give different amounts of time on sight.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned home from our cruise. When we got to Katakolon, we were exhausted from all the walking we did in Corfu Town, on Santorini, and especially on the island of Delos on Mykonos. So we decided to mostly stay on the ship and do some souvenir shopping in town. Noticed the train from Katakolon to Olympia was definitely running (this was on Thursday, May 23). But didn't catch the times. Looks like they were erasing the departure times on the board as those times passed by.

Archived