Is this right? Taxi vs Victor Bodden

skittl1321

So my main goal for Roatan is snorkeling. It appears a taxi to West Bay round trip will be $30 per person.

If I go with a private Victor Bodden tour, it is $40 per person (plus any add ons, I realize- I think we'd likely only add on the Monkey Business, and only if we get tired of swimming early). Does this really mean I get a driver for just the two of us?

So for $20 more total, I can have a driver at my service all day? So we could snorkel, then ask him to take us somewhere else (West End?) to snorkel, have a little island tour, ask him to take us somewhere off the beach for lunch, not have to decide what time we want to be picked up and stick to a set schedule?

We had a near miss in St. Thomas once where we asked to go to one beach, a taxi driver told us we wouldn't like it because of the weather, took us to another one- and it was fabulous there. Later in the day people from Beach A started showing up telling us how awful it had been at the other beach. Taxi's weren't too expensive there, but having to get another taxi and find a new beach in Roatan would cost a fortune!

This kind of seems to good to be true, so I want to make sure I have this right.

Yep, you're right. That's exactly what we do with Ronystours.com. We use him every time we visit Roatan. It's so nice – if you want to stop for photos, stop for something to eat at a local restaurant, visit a different beach, Play with the monkeys, zip line, basically anything you want to do for the entire day. We've been on more than 35 cruises and love the independence we have when we get a private driver for the day. I can't think of any other island where a taxi and a private driver for the day cost virtually the same amount.

Above poster is correct. Better to have the driver at your disposal where you can do something else at any time, and by the time you would just get a cab, you would end up paying about as much. We just got back 2 weeks ago , and didn't book anything ahead , and through a friend at Coxen we got Witsell James , who is a one man show with a van , and he was really nice, and made some suggestions that paid off for us..You won't find him on a web site , but he has an e mail.. Bodden and Rony's are both great as well..Witsell is on the right in the photo. He charged $20 PP for the 4 of us and we tipped him $20..

sany2361.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for clarifying! Private driver sounds like the way to go. I asked on the roll call if someone wants to share with us, which will lower the price just a bit, but keep it to 4 people for a flexible day.

Do people feel comfortable enough to ask them to watch your stuff while you swim such as an expensive camera? Husband would love to take his DSLR for site-seeing, but it gets left on the ship for beach days...

You can trust Rony without a doubt. We have known him for years. He is a very upstanding, reliable guy. I've left my bag with several hundred dollars in cash in his car while we did the zipline. With Rony's service, you will either have Rony personally or one of his very close friends or relatives - all great guys. Victor has a much larger company - so I can't speak to the reliability of his drivers.

So my main goal for Roatan is snorkeling. It appears a taxi to West Bay round trip will be $30 per person.

If I go with a private Victor Bodden tour, it is $40 per person (plus any add ons, I realize- I think we'd likely only add on the Monkey Business, and only if we get tired of swimming early). Does this really mean I get a driver for just the two of us?

So for $20 more total, I can have a driver at my service all day? So we could snorkel, then ask him to take us somewhere else (West End?) to snorkel, have a little island tour, ask him to take us somewhere off the beach for lunch, not have to decide what time we want to be picked up and stick to a set schedule?

We had a near miss in St. Thomas once where we asked to go to one beach, a taxi driver told us we wouldn't like it because of the weather, took us to another one- and it was fabulous there. Later in the day people from Beach A started showing up telling us how awful it had been at the other beach. Taxi's weren't too expensive there, but having to get another taxi and find a new beach in Roatan would cost a fortune!

This kind of seems to good to be true, so I want to make sure I have this right.

I see you are on the Jewel which docks at Coxen Hole. As you exit the pier bypass the cruise pier taxi stand and walk out to the street. We paid 20.00 ea for 4 of us to snorkel, site seeing and shopping. Pay driver when you return to the pier, the drivers where charging 30.00 at the cruise taxi stand.

Victor Boddem runs a great operation. We were able to request the guide we wanted (tex) and want we wanted to do. Tex arranged the snorkeling for us ( think there was even a discount) and coordinated with the boat so he would be there on time to pick us up. Knew where to buy souvenirs at the best price, found us a great beach, even let us watch dolphins from his deck. Showed us all around the island and had us back to the boat in plenty if time.

Not just better than a taxi but one of the best tours ever.

We have used Bodden tours many times. Ask for Tex, he will take you to see the dolphins in his back yard. When he goes into his house, you can swim over to them and take pictures. Do Not touch the fence or dolphins. the man with the gun comes out and gets mad at you! Go see the monkeys, zipline, shop at West Bay, snorkle at West end near the wall, eat at Banananarama, have a local beer, walk the beach. Oh I need to go back now. You can leave things in the car if you need to.

Enjoy your vacation.

We just went on a private tour with Vic last week and it was the highlight of our cruise. Totally worth the money to go private. We had 7 in our group and were able to plan as we went. We learned so much and our driver (Kenny) took us to this little beach resort and we snorkeled right from there after eating a little lunch at a cute little restaurant. West End Beach I believe. The monkeys were SOOOOO cute and fun. We all enjoyed them (ages 3-60)

I think this is the right place to post this since so many have used Victor or Rony or Ron Rivers (from another thread).

I think what we'd like to do is Zip (still not sure about this), then monkeys, then some time at the beach (no snorkeling). So there are planned Zip and Dip trips I see. If there is just 4 of us (me, DH and 2 kids) would we be with others from the ship? DH wants to stop for cigars someplace. That's really the only "custom" thing. Are we better off just booking Zip and Dip and asking for a stop to buy cigars? Or better off booking the custom driver for the day and adding on all the separate things?

I think this is the right place to post this since so many have used Victor or Rony or Ron Rivers (from another thread).

I think what we'd like to do is Zip (still not sure about this), then monkeys, then some time at the beach (no snorkeling). So there are planned Zip and Dip trips I see. If there is just 4 of us (me, DH and 2 kids) would we be with others from the ship? DH wants to stop for cigars someplace. That's really the only "custom" thing. Are we better off just booking Zip and Dip and asking for a stop to buy cigars? Or better off booking the custom driver for the day and adding on all the separate things?

Our family has done the "group tour" with others only one time. That was ENOUGH! It is amazing how disrespectful others can be on a group tour... loud talking (covering guides comments), late getting back to the vehicle, ignoring guide requests, etc.

We definitely prefer going the "private" route. That way if we have a lousy time, we know who to blame...US!

I would vote for the private tour. With Victor Bodden there was not much price difference between private and group, and you get to do what You want to do and spend the time where you want to spend it when you have your own tour. Francisco showed us a wonderful time on Roatan- so much that we want to go back and see more! Can't speak to the other tour groups as we have not used them.

FYI - there is a cigar shop at West End - pretty good selection :)

Have fun in Roatan!

Based on the website, the tours are set schedules. If you want to do anything custom (like stop for cigars) you should book a private tour.

Above poster is correct. Better to have the driver at your disposal where you can do something else at any time, and by the time you would just get a cab, you would end up paying about as much. We just got back 2 weeks ago , and didn't book anything ahead , and through a friend at Coxen we got Witsell James , who is a one man show with a van , and he was really nice, and made some suggestions that paid off for us..You won't find him on a web site , but he has an e mail.. Bodden and Rony's are both great as well..Witsell is on the right in the photo. He charged $20 PP for the 4 of us and we tipped him $20..

sany2361.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was thinking of using Bodden but with 6 in my family, this might be a good option for me. How can I contact Witsell?

So very, very true. My friend and I did a tour with Victor Bodden's tour guide Tex back in 2009. $40 per person. A van to ourselves. We got to tell Tex what we wanted to see plus he added in his own ideas. It was wonderful. You should definitely go this route.

Looks like we went to Half Moon Resort to snorkel and eat.

That is where we ate back in 2009. We loved it. Victor says it is one of his daughter's favorite restaurants. We loved sitting on the patio with water splashing up on our feet. Plus, they had the best Pina Colada I have ever had!

Archived