Navigator - Credit Cards W/O Smart Chips - Europe

If you have the time to apply, check out this card - it takes a few hoops to jump thru, but well worth having a chip card when traveling. And it's a credit union . . . I've been doing European runs over the past 4-5 years and many stores/restaurants in UK and Europe are increasingly not accepting the stripes It's just easier to have a chip card. I don't think I ever used the pin, but had to sign and show photo ID.

http://www.andrewsfcu.org/credit_cards_and_loans/credit_cards/globetrek_rewards.html

New Royal Caribbean chip cards just arrived in the mail today. We didn't request them, since our others don't expire for 2 years...but we are glad to have them for future trips. :D:):D

No other changes, but with an obvious chip. I wonder if it is travel related or if they are just replacing them for cardholders? :D We already had a PIN assigned to our cards for trips.

New Royal Caribbean chip cards just arrived in the mail today. We didn't request them, since our others don't expire for 2 years...but we are glad to have them for future trips. :D:):D

No other changes, but with an obvious chip. I wonder if it is travel related or if they are just replacing them for cardholders? :D We already had a PIN assigned to our cards for trips.

We requested new cards with the chip a few days ago. They were happy to oblige.

Regarding the PIN, does that mean you must enter a PIN every time you use the card to make a charge, even in the US?

Regarding the PIN, does that mean you must enter a PIN every time you use the card to make a charge, even in the US?

No, the US credit card system is not set up to handle pin numbers yet.

What you have now is a "ship and sign" card where you will still have to sign. Even using a credit card overseas you can insert the card in the reader, but you must tell them that you have to sign a paper copy.

No, the US credit card system is not set up to handle pin numbers yet.

What you have now is a "ship and sign" card where you will still have to sign. Even using a credit card overseas you can insert the card in the reader, but you must tell them that you have to sign a paper copy.

Thanks Patti. So when we get the new B of A cards, I guess I still need to create a PIN, right? Is that a website function, or do we need to call again?

Thanks Patti. So when we get the new B of A cards, I guess I still need to create a PIN, right? Is that a website function, or do we need to call again?

You can create a pin number, but you will not be using it until the US banks that govern the CC companies change to a pin and chip system.

As far as setting up a pin number, I have no idea how that is done.

You can create a pin number, but you will not be using it until the US banks that govern the CC companies change to a pin and chip system.

As far as setting up a pin number, I have no idea how that is done.

OK, I'll just call them again. I want to have the PIN in place before we go to Europe this fall. Thanks!

OK, I'll just call them again. I want to have the PIN in place before we go to Europe this fall. Thanks!

When using your card in Europe, you will not be able to use a PIN number. You will either have to insert your card and sign or swipe your card and sign.

On the Bank of America site select your credit card, then select the "Information and Services" tab. Selecting a Pin is a choice under "Services".

On the Bank of America site select your credit card, then select the "Information and Services" tab. Selecting a Pin is a choice under "Services".

Thanks!

It looks like everything was answered before I even got up this morning! :D The miracle of time zones. :)

I don't know exactly how the chip cards will work in Europe. They may be signature cards, or they make work with our PIN. I believe they will work in Europe with a 4 digit PIN.

The reason we have PIN numbers for the credit cards, is so that they can be used in an ATM machine, (here, or in other countries) in case we ever had the need of real emergency cash. It's obviously not a good way to get cash, as it would be a cash advance....but in the event of a real emergency.....

~Patti :)

It looks like everything was answered before I even got up this morning! :D The miracle of time zones. :)

I don't know exactly how the chip cards will work in Europe. They may be signature cards, or they make work with our PIN. I believe they will work in Europe with a 4 digit PIN.

The reason we have PIN numbers for the credit cards, is so that they can be used in an ATM machine, (here, or in other countries) in case we ever had the need of real emergency cash. It's obviously not a good way to get cash, as it would be a cash advance....but in the event of a real emergency.....

~Patti :)

Don't be surprised if you don't give your PIN number and still sign a receipt when you go to Europe.

Last year I went to Denmark and Norway. Before I left I got a new chipped credit card and I went to the American Express office and got local currencies. I took no chances! I ended up using local cash for just about everything.

Elvis

I keep hearing that recently, European ATMs (as well as venders) are requiring Credit Cards (or ATM Cards) with Smart Chips, and that regular cards with Magnetic Strip only will no longer work. Has anyone tried this recently?

Three days ago, in Copenhagen, when I told the (restaurant) cashier I didn't have a chip & pin card she simply asked for a picture ID ( US driving license) then ran a "sign it" charge slip from her portable device. No problem:D

Don't be surprised if you don't give your PIN number and still sign a receipt when you go to Europe.

Thanks Patti. I just read the literature with the new cards...and it does mention signature. I wonder how that will work in train ticket machines? :)

Is it too late to apply for a new credit card that has a chip, to have in case your swipe card is not accepted?

I have a Marriott branded (Chase) Visa. They recently promoted a "chipped" version for "added security". My existing card was quickly replaced without cost or question, however when I explained why I was asking for the chipped version - to use in Europe etc, they said that wasn't the same thing so it was unclear why their chipped card was of much extra use compared to the old one ! Having said that I remember Amex "Blue" made a big deal about having a chip in it years ago as well.

I keep hearing that recently, European ATMs (as well as venders) are requiring Credit Cards (or ATM Cards) with Smart Chips, and that regular cards with Magnetic Strip only will no longer work. Has anyone tried this recently?

We are Americans living in Europe and also recently (21st-28th)returned from sailing the Navigator out of Rome. We've haven't encountered any problems using our credit cards in ATM's here. Every once in a while we've run into a restaurant that will only take cards with the Smart Chips, but that is rare. We also used our debit card on the Navigator with no problems.

Archived