Disembarkation at Seattle

gladgirl

Heard a couple sites mention customs when getting off the cruise ships at final destination. Is there some kind of security or customs you have to go through when disembarking in Seattle on around trip cruise?

Trying to figure out if I need to switch our return flight time....

Thanks in advance!

Of course you go through US Customs & Immigration when arriving back in the US from a cruise to a foreign country (Canada).

Hi Zephyr17,

While I appreciate your replying to my post, there was no need to be condescending. I realize Canada is a foreign country and I have been through customs in many other parts of the world, just not Canada.

I am from tx and growing up it was never a big deal to go back and forth to/from Mexico (which might have changed to a certain extent at this point- I'm not sure).

I wasn't sure what disembarkation process included after an Alaskan cruise.

Hi Zephyr17,

While I appreciate your replying to my post, there was no need to be condescending. I realize Canada is a foreign country and I have been through customs in many other parts of the world, just not Canada.

I am from tx and growing up it was never a big deal to go back and forth to/from Mexico (which might have changed to a certain extent at this point- I'm not sure).

I wasn't sure what disembarkation process included after an Alaskan cruise.

I grew up and lived a good portion of my adult life in Southern California and went to Tijauna numerous times without needing a passport back in the day. Back in the 1980s you still at least walked by the Customs and Immigration folks and I never recall a time I wasn't asked at least one question (usually "did you buy anything") and asked for ID. You just didn't need a passport then, but officially you still went through Customs & Immigrations even if was quick and somewhat informal.

Now you need a passport or WHTI equivalent document (unless you are on a closed-loop cruise). You still have to go through Customs like you always did.

Foreign country = Customs & Immigration, as you are aware as an experienced international traveler.

Gladgirl,

There are several discussions on this forum discussing how much time it takes to disembark and get to the SeaTac airport. They were helpful to me, and actually caused me to move my flight from morning to night. The last thing I wanted was to be anxious about whether I would make my flight, and be rushed in disembarking. Most responses to this question seem to indicate any flight after noon is no problem. Earlier than 11 could be problematic as sometimes it takes a while to get through security, plus there could be traffic issues that increase the normal 30 minute drive time from port to airport.

Lesa

We are arriving on the Regatta and have no time constraints in getting through Immigration and Customs. We are staying at the Edgewater which looking at Google Earth is about 100yds away. What is the best way of transferring our 4 bags from Pier to Hotel ? 20 years ago I would happily have walked the bags the 100yards, today I am recovering from the dreaded hernia op and "er" in doors has a frozen shoulder so that is not an option. I understand that one can leave the baggage at the pier at a secure location. No taxi driver will want to accept the journey. are their porters at the terminal with luggage carts that would do the transfer to the Edgewater, and roughly how much will they charge? Thank you in anticipation.

No taxi driver will want to accept the journey. are their porters at the terminal with luggage carts that would do the transfer to the Edgewater, and roughly how much will they charge? Thank you in anticipation.

I know there are porters at the pier but I doubt they can transfer your luggage to the hotel. I'd suggest contacting the Edgewater directly to see how their staff can assist ..

Kind of expected to see some sort of apology from Zephyr17 about the way he answered OP original post. Instead I still saw snarkiness with additional comment. No need to answer anybody in that tone, gosh it's a cruise website for crying out loud, Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

Kind of expected to see some sort of apology from Zephyr17 about the way he answered OP original post. Instead I still saw snarkiness with additional comment. No need to answer anybody in that tone, gosh it's a cruise website for crying out loud, Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

I going to give Zephyr17 a chance to explain before I judge. I agree it appeared to rude, but I don't know if it was intended to be taken that way. Many times the written word is perceived to different than it was intended to be.

Hi Gladgirl,

I had the same question as you since we are on cruise in June from Seattle. I booked our flights yesterday. I ended up getting a flight out at 2:45 instead of the flight I prefer at 12. I spoke to a air traffic controller friend and he suggested it. Things are going ok with the sequester and they are beginning to relax the mandate, but he said that customs may or may not have issues and it would be in my best interest to add an hour "just in case". I knew I would spend too much time worrying about it unless I just scheduled later. Hope you have a great cruise.:)

do you need a passport if you do Seattle roundtrip with just a stop in Canada, or will a birth certificate do. We have had a passport for 20 years, but have a friend considering to cruise to Alaska with us in Sept, and is thinking about the cost. Thanks

do you need a passport if you do Seattle roundtrip with just a stop in Canada, or will a birth certificate do. We have had a passport for 20 years, but have a friend considering to cruise to Alaska with us in Sept, and is thinking about the cost. Thanks

You can do the cruise with a birth certificate and drivers licence, but if you want to take any of the excursions out of Skagway that go into Canada, they require a passport.

You can do the cruise with a birth certificate and drivers licence, but if you want to take any of the excursions out of Skagway that go into Canada, they require a passport.

Thanks for the quick reply, that is what I thought. I think she should invest into a passport

Archived